Rims?

CrBoy
CrBoy Posts: 580
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking to buy new 17" rims for my car but I'm concern about the extra weight and how it will affect the performance... what do you guys think about this?

What's the most covenient rim size for a daily-driver sedan? 15", 16", 17"...? :confused:
I like the looks of the 17s but I might go in other direction... I dunno!
<|>
Post edited by CrBoy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    44" rims are all the rage these days it seems but I think its stupid. Which would you rather ride around on, soft compliant rubber tires or hard unforgiving steel?

For a sedan, 15's would be my choice as there are much more tires out there thatll fit a 15" wheel and theyll be cheaper. Trust me I know. Im having to pay out the **** for my 17" tires.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    depends on what kind of car..

remember...less side wall means you feel the bumps more
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    ...but it also means you'll handle better in the corners.

It all depends on what it is you're looking for. I'd personally be much more interested in handling than in a plush ride.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    put it this way - i used to have 15" wheels with absolutely top-of-the-line summer tires (BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD), and they handled excellently... i switched to 17" ASA EM9 wheels wrapped in Avon Tech M550 A/S tires (about 6-7 pounds heavier per corner) recently, and then put 80 pounds or more of audio gear in the trunk, and it handles soooooo much better with the 17s... turn-in is just as crisp, the transition between steering left and steering right is much smoother, there's more warning at the limit (probably more a function of the tires, though), tracking at high speeds didn't change, large-bump absorption was worsened (probably because of the increased mass), and acceleration off the line felt a bit slower (again, increased mass, but i have no numbers to show it one way or the other)...

overall, a very good experience, just be aware of three things:
    1) buy the lightest tire/wheel package you can afford, it's worth it
    2) watch the width - you don't want to get a wheel that's too wide for the type of tires you're buying (2 reasons - wider = heavier, and you want the tire to extend a bit beyond the wheel for scuff protection)
    3) aesthetics - you don't want too short a sidewall, it looks crappy if the sidewall is shorter than the tire-wheelwell gap, and a huge wheel makes your brake discs look ridiculous

also keep in mind upgrades - you need a wheel of a certain inside diameter for uprated brake systems...

also also keep in mind that the lighter the wheel, the more susceptible it is to being dented in a bump (generally), and so you want a bit higher of a sidewall for truly light-weight wheels... you can get a larger overall diameter to achieve this (up to 3% over stock with no ill effects, more than that and you'll need a recalibration... always remember bigger = heavier!!!)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited February 2006
    beardog03 wrote:
    depends on what kind of car

Jetta 96... (no pics yet SORRY :( )

I like the looks and stability of the 17" wheels, but I might have some problems finding a light set of wheels... damn! If I end up turbo-ing the car the extra weight shouldn't be such a big concern, right?
    <|>
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    What is your lug pattern and offset?
  • CrBoy
    edited February 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    What is your lug pattern and offset?

I'll check as soon as I can... I know it has 4 lugs but I don't know about the offset
    <|>
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    the extra weight in a rim will always slow down your quickness just a tad. Depending on how much weight they add, it can be a little or a lot. I actually lost weight by going with new rims (15lbs to 12lbs each) but they're forged aluminum which is rare. So when I put them on in the summer, my car actually gets a little quicker. It's surprising how much the unsprung weight can add. My last car was severely hurt by going to 17's but it was a slow as dirt Civic hatch. Just do some research and find out how much your OEM rims weigh and how much the new ones weigh.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    I ran Enkei wheels on a GA Cup car ant they were great, Cheap and light.

17x8= 15.? lbs. Around 180 ea. or so.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    Sorry...

Go for the 17's you will save a lot of rotating and unsprung weight; the two most important things for making a car handle and go fast.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    yep...17`s
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    depends on the rim. My old 17's on my civic were about 24lbs each. Quantum Tek S13's.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    ...but it also means you'll handle better in the corners.

It all depends on what it is you're looking for. I'd personally be much more interested in handling than in a plush ride.

I'm interested in upgraded wheels...

When you say it will handle better in the corners, why's that?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    Since the wheel is taller and the tire's sidewall is shorter, there's less deflection.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    The sidewall of a tire helps give a softer ride by absorbing the impact of bumps and pot holes. How? By flexing. This same property, when used in the middle of a turn, decreases handling performance because now your tire is flexing laterally, changing your path slightly and allowing the car to push slightly. A shorter sidewall will be stiffer, won't flex as much, and so won't be so 'sloppy' in the corners. However, since it's stiffer, it also won't be able to absorb as much upon impact and so you'll also get a harsher ride.

Generally when you're going with tires with a shorter sidewall, you'll also upgrade to a larger wheel, because the stock wheel with half as tall tires on it is going to look stupid if you haven't adjusted the ride height. Also, if you just decrease the tire size without also increasing the wheel's diameter proportionately, you're changing the diameter of the wheel/tire, meaning you'll have to recalibrate for your speedometer and tripmeter. If you increase your wheel size and decrease your tire's sidewall thickness the same amount, you'll still have the same diameter wheel/tire package, and so you won't have to change anything else.

But mainly what I'd look for in your case is just lighter wheels. Lighter wheels. If you can afford light AND bigger wheels, the tires for them, and you car can fit them, it may really improve the looks of your car. But I would emphasize weight over diameter.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Since the wheel is taller and the tire's sidewall is shorter, there's less deflection.
    Dang, that was a LOT easier way to say it!! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    The sidewall of a tire helps give a softer ride by absorbing the impact of bumps and pot holes. How? By flexing. This same property, when used in the middle of a turn, decreases handling performance because now your tire is flexing laterally, changing your path slightly and allowing the car to push slightly. A shorter sidewall will be stiffer, won't flex as much, and so won't be so 'sloppy' in the corners. However, since it's stiffer, it also won't be able to absorb as much upon impact and so you'll also get a harsher ride.

Generally when you're going with tires with a shorter sidewall, you'll also upgrade to a larger wheel, because the stock wheel with half as tall tires on it is going to look stupid if you haven't adjusted the ride height. Also, if you just decrease the tire size without also increasing the wheel's diameter proportionately, you're changing the diameter of the wheel/tire, meaning you'll have to recalibrate for your speedometer and tripmeter. If you increase your wheel size and decrease your tire's sidewall thickness the same amount, you'll still have the same diameter wheel/tire package, and so you won't have to change anything else.

But mainly what I'd look for in your case is just lighter wheels. Lighter wheels. If you can afford light AND bigger wheels, the tires for them, and you car can fit them, it may really improve the looks of your car. But I would emphasize weight over diameter.

AB - thanks again.

Will look into lighter wheels as soon as this overheating problem is fixed.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    So - since the problem is fixed now, which brands of wheels do you guys recommend?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Also, are these wheels any good?

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/zna_wheels/index.html

I don't know much about these things, but they were like $360 or so. Is that a rip-off?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1