PS Audio XStream Power Punch - The Silk Panties of power cords?

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited May 2007 in 2 Channel Audio
Not because they are soft, and feel nice against your bum, but rather due to the fact one may actually have some beads and shells left over, for other finer things in life.

I've been intrigued by PS Audio's Power Punch offering. Looking at the price (around $70 for a 2m cord), I honestly was not expecting much. Probably a standard IEC cord, wrapped in a nice jacket, with upgraded connectors. I couldn't have been more wrong. How PS Audio can sell (and package) these cords SO cheap, is beyond me. They must truely be a loss leader, the minnow dangling on the hook - to get people to try their products (in hopes if they are pleased, they will upgrade or look at other PS Audio offerings).

I purchased two, 2.0m Power Punch cords a couple weeks ago, and have been burning them in on my single ended 211 monoblocks. (I removed my SC power cords, for the purpose of this review). The difference was anything but subtle (compared to a standard $3 IEC). Overall, the music has more weight, from top to bottom. Every note seems to have just a little more impact, and presence. It's not as though a blanket has been lifted off the system, but rather a fine film was removed. Bass speed and attack has improved slightly also.

My 211 monoblock power trannies crank out over 1000v, so unless you bury them in concrete - there is ALWAYS some noticeable hum from the transformers themselves. As soon as I connected the PS Audio Power Punch cords - the hum was cut by at least 50% - again, comparing directly to your standard IEC. Instant, noticeable difference.

Build? First rate. Very flexible, easy to route, and both ends make a SOLID, confident connection to the outlet and input.

I won't ramble on too much about a entry level product, because, well, that's exactly what it is. However, for a very small investment, the Power Punch offers real performance, at the listening chair.

Is this the cable for everyone? Probably not.

This is the cable for the Audiophile, who expects, nay demands a certain level of performance - but at the same time would like to have a few greenbacks in his/her pocket left over for posh undercrackers.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/xstream_power_punch.asp

Associated gear:
DIY Custom Line Arrays
Signet SP200 Subwoofer
Radii MMS 211 monoblock tube amps (power punch 2m)
Rogue Audio Magnum 66 tube line stage (power punch also, 1m)
AMC CD8b Transport
Meridian 563 D/A converter
Sansui TU-417 Tuna

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hey Russ,

I have been using the Power Punch C7 on my Pioneer Elite DV 45A for around 6 months and have found it to be the best (only) solution for that funky connection. I found quite abit more refined soundstage over that stock cord in audio for CD and SACD. Great entry level upgrade for anyone not wanting to break the bank on esoteric power cables.

If some here can get by with the 1 meter version into their power centers etc. This guy is nearly giving them away on ebay:

$33 offering of this cable
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nice review Russ.

How do you think it stacks up to the SC since they are both in similar price ranges? Also, which signal cable one do you have?
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russ - are they comparable to the SC cords? I need a couple more 6' power cords, I might try these if they are comparable or better.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I use the MagicPower cords, and MagicPower strips, and have not done a side by side comparison yet, but don't see them being a whole lot different from each other.

The basic improvement here (again, over a standard IEC) is current delivery, shielding, better parts/termination for a solid, sure connection.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The ground lifting option (the ground pin unscrews) is a cool design in itself. The molded ends are way secure on the PS Audio cords compared to shrink tubing on the Marinco/Wattgate plugs with smaller gauge wiring on some of my other power cables.

This is the Plus model, but the Punch looks similar.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the indepth Russ. These types of reviews with substance are what it's all about.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russ - thanks for taking the time to write up the review! I might give these a try. It's starting to look like a Signal Cable advertisement around my place. It's good to try something new. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The Power Punch has been the most reasonably priced PS Audio product for awhile. It's nice they came out with something else for normal people.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Normal..?
    what`s that ?!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A distant memory, a faint stench, a greasy stain - of what we used to be Robert.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    Options
    aaaahhhh !
    rriiiight..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Not because they are soft, and feel nice against your bum, but rather due to the fact one may actually have some beads and shells left over, for other finer things in life.

Russ

Thanks for clarifying, but we're still left with the visual of you with a power cord riding up your ****...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,882
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Question, i noticed these are nickel plated, irecently posted questions on other forums about upgraded electrical outlets and the number one thing was to get outlets that were not nickel plated but rather brass. so why is nickel plated on the power cords ok?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    In my opinion, nickle plating is not a bad thing, as long as everything (outlet included) are nickle plated. You start getting down to the nitty gritty with audiophiles, and certain metals - and it has been proven (to a degree) that going with different metals on connectors, beit speaker wire terminations and binding posts, or wall outlets and power cables - that a miss-match will actually excellerate corrosion.

I've yet to experience it myself, and I'm somewhat versed in real world cable experience. The fact is, this power cord isn't marketed to the hardcore, it's marketed to the common man - and power outlets are a thing of lore (at this price point - short of a PS Audio Power Port ;) ). That being said, the benefit of proper, tight, solid fit, outweighs the negative of a matching conductors, in my opinion - but you do state a valid point.

Bascially, it is a concern, but not at this pricepoint.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Another thought on the nickel plating. The IEC sockets on most gear are nickel plated and if one were to upgrade the power outlet(s) to PS Audio's Power Port, then you would have all nickel contacts. No worries, mate.

BTW, brass oxidizes, nickel doesn't.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ferres
    Ferres Posts: 310
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The audiophile powercords job is to shield, clean and filter out mains noise from coming into the system and muddying the sound. Plating shouldn't be a big issue. :)

I think of all cable upgrades, the powercord going to the pre-amp should be the first in line.

I'm looking at Ps Audio cords too since they have a lot more options in space saving connectors.

Nice review Russman. :D
    Gear: Rotel RC 1082, Rotel RSP 1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB1077 amp, Cayin CDT 15a CD player, S301 bluray.

Speakers: Tannoy DC sensys speakers, Paradigm Servo15 Sub, Velo Spl-1500r

Conditioner: Isotek :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nice review, and great tip on the ebay link.... I sent the seller an email asking if connectors were IEC or C7....not specified on the description.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nice Russ.. I really considered these before I went the Harmonic Technology route but we have to be careful....threads like these may actually give people the impression that power cords do make a difference. ;)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russ, you should pick up on the "Statement" offer if you get the chance before it ends. Half price with the return of an old cable. I wouldn't outfit my whole rig with them because I can't afford it but it is cool to see the one sitting there going to the phono pre. I've been considering some of the Power Punch ones for the other stuff though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nice write-up, Russ... Borderline eloquent
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Nice review, and great tip on the ebay link.... I sent the seller an email asking if connectors were IEC or C7....not specified on the description.

They are IEC...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The Power Punch is hard to beat for the money. It looks great and sound great and the removable ground pin is a plus. If you buy direct from PS the shipping rates seem high. I ordered my second one from MusicDirect and the USP was 1/2.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Just ordered two of them. One Power Punch will replace my PS Audio Prelude which is too long and bulky for my application. The other one will replace a Custom Power Cord with Furutech connectors. The Power Punch appears to be "downgrade" from what I already have, but the price, length, look and build quality should make up for the differences, if any, in sound quality. If things work out, both cords will be up for sale soon.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hey EB, want to sell that Prelude? Which one is it? Sent you a PM.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Does anyone know the difference between the Super Punch and the Power Punch? Is it just the right angle plug?

Super Punch

Power Punch
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    edited February 2006
    Options
    They're the same cable internally: 12 AWG OFC wire, double shielded. The only difference is in the terminations, with the Super Punch having more expensive wall end plugs.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The SP is also not available in a C7 termination.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    and....

Only the C7 has the right angle term.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The website says they work for small to mid-size amps. Does a Parasound HCA-1500 qualify as mid-size? The SC power cables appear to be a little heavier guage. Not sure if that really makes a difference?
    DKG999

• dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    It's for any amplifier, that's just marketing BS.