What are my options?

amulford
amulford Posts: 5,020
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
OK, here is the problem. I think my truck's rig is eating alternators. I just put in the third one in two years. Now this was not a problem before the rig, but (maybe I'm full of ****) it seems to be now.

Truck is a '94 F-150 Ext. Cab w/ a 4.9 L six (straight 6 300 cid). The alternator is a 65 amp w/ 2 plugs. I could not find a replacement HO alternator.

What are my options?
Post edited by amulford on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2006
    I know a few people that run two alternators. You'll have to remeasure for a longer belt, but I know it can be done. Seeing that it's a truck, it should be even easier because of the room you have under the hood.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    65 amp?!?!? Thats seems a little small for a fullsize truck. My Ram has a 135 amp alternator on it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    If you think it`s the sound system, try a cap..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Caps are useless unless youre running well over 1000 watts and even then a good battery and alternator will be a better choice.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beardog03
    edited February 2006
    I knew that ..!
    I was just testin ya Mac.. :D

okay , I didn`t know that... :rolleyes:
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    LOL!! Most people dont. Dont get me wrong, caps wont hurt your system its just that you dont really need them unless youre running major wattage.

• beardog03
    edited February 2006
    ya know......I was just sayin that ta the missus..

she just walked out rollin her eyes..!

now she`s mumblin some thin about bustin one in my a$$... :D
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    find a ford website, then go to the audio section, Im sure SOMEONE makes an aftermarket alternator for it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Well I am running over a thousand watts. Around 1300, but I think it is the system.

Screw it, I'll sell the friggin truck!!! :D

Two alternators is out. It's a work truck...

I like the website idea. Let you know what I find....
  • Rogue Torino
    Rogue Torino Posts: 50
    edited February 2006
    amulford wrote:
    Well I am running over a thousand watts. Around 1300, but I think it is the system.

Screw it, I'll sell the friggin truck!!! :D

Two alternators is out. It's a work truck...

I like the website idea. Let you know what I find....

Did you not read my post? A 200 amp alternator should solve your problem.
    -Joe
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Damn, Anthony. I didnt know you were running that much juice.

Still, it is a good excuse to buy a new truck!! :D

Make sure you get one with an alternator bigger than 60 amps! Christ Honda Civics have alts bigger than that.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2006
    You have no options, the sex change must include the breast augmentation....oh shite, this was your other thread.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2006
    Some shops may be able to rewind your own alternator for higher output.

A parts interchange manual like Hollander's (found at auto scrap yards etc.) would also be able to tell you if a Ford factory HO alternator (such as from a police package) from another model will bolt up. You'd be surprised how many alternators from different models are interchangeable. Yours should be internally regulated, and as long as the plugs from harness to alternator are the same, you should be good to go (you can swap pulleys if necessary, as long as diameter of shaft is the same).
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    You have no options, the sex change must include the breast augmentation....oh shite, this was your other thread.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I dunno, I think Anthony would make a damn sexy woman! Id do her....him....whatever.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    at 1300 watts, you're probably drawing around 125 amps or more.

ya -- u're fooked man.

but, alas, destiny is around the corner.

Chrysler makes a 120 amp alternator for the early 80's trucks that is about 90 bucks at advance auto parts (www.partsamerica.com) ... don't use the ford two little regulator wires --- get the compatible chrysler controller (from advance as well) -- its a small steel box the size of a pack of smokes... its about 10 dollars... it'll regulate the alt.

That and a nice big 1000 cca battery would be the best thing you can do.

you will of course need to adapt your bracketing to accept the chrysler alt (nippon denso case style, but its a chrysler alt not nippon denso).

I put a 75A alt in the cadillac, switched from a generator -- that was not fun. **** car... but 75A is plenty for the car and the roughly 560 watts that we run off it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge