Medal of Honor Pacific Assault

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited February 2006 in Video Games
Jesus, this is a hard game.

I love the MOH series. I was hooked with the very first game for Playstation back in 2000(?). I think that was the year. Anyway. I've loved every single game(except the Playstation 2 titles) so far. I finally went out and bought MOH:PA. It's different than Allied Assault. It's a much more cinematic and involving experience. Graphics and sound are excellent, especially the music.

I'm mixed when it comes to the changes in gameplay, however. I love the idea of a medic. I get tired of picking up healthpacks all the time. Seeing down the sights on the weapons is a great addition, although PA isn't the first game to use this feature. However, this is one of the few titles I've played that makes this a necessary addition. One thing that bothers me about it though is that it's assigned to the "alt" key, and it's troublesome trying to hit the key sometimes, especially in intense firefights. Another thing that irks me is the squad commands. This would have been great if the main character was squad LEADER. But he isn't. So why he would be giving commands is beyond me.

One thing I hate most about this game is that it can rediculously hard. Even in the early levels. **** troops sometimes seem to appear out of nowhere and before you know it, you're getting a bayonet thrust into your ****. Enermy A.I. is also very good at aiming, while friendly sqaud members can't hit s*** sometimes. I've wanted to pull out my friggin hair over this so many times.

Another problem is bugs. At times I felt like I was playing Starship Troopers. Even with the 2nd patch. Let's say you've got a guy in a tower lighting your **** up. What to do? Risk getting shot by taking the time to aim at him, or just let loose an the fuel barrels below him? Naturally you'd go for the barrels, right? Well, normally this takes care of the problem after the explosion brings the tower down, but there's a problem: the **** is somehow suspended in midair and still firing at you. WTF? Little problems like this are scattered throughout the game and they can bring the enjoyment level down a bit. Oh, and the **** that just popped up from behind and killed you before you knew what happened. :mad:

Yes, the game can be frustrating at times, but for the most part, it's an absolute blast. It doesn't really feel like a game, more like an experience. Graphics, sound, music, weapons are all top notch. The fact that you fight with a squad is awesome, too. It feels much more realistic than taking on an entire army by yourself as in the other MOH games. Squad AI is pretty good. Like I said before, they really can't seem to hit s***, but they do a good job at following orders and taking cover when they need to. And by the end of the game, you care about them and try your best to keep them from getting hurt. A quality missing in a lot of squad based titles.

So for the most part, Pacific Assault is an excellent game. That is, if you can get past the bugs, cheating AI, and other other minor flaws. Hopefully we'll get another patch in the near future, but seeing as how the game is already a year old, I kind of doubt it. Regardless, this is a very solid game, and more than worthy of the name Medal of Honor. B+

Thanks for reading :p
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I love medal of honor..!
    I don`t have this one...yet !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool: