Neo Magnus

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Assuming I get the Image Dynamics ID8 in the flea market (one)

Specs -
* Size: 8 inch
* Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.20 - 0.45 cu.ft.
* Rec. Ported Box Dims: 0.50 - 0.70 cu.ft.
* Free Air Usage: yes
* Sensitivity: 85.6 dB
* Frequency Response: 10-150 Hz
* Recommended RMS Power: 50-300W
* Peak Power Handling: 350W
* Impedance: dual 4 ohms subwoofer wiring options

And I make an enclosure (external) 7" (bottom) to 4" (top) (straight back/front slope) - with 3/4" MDF...

How big would the box have to be to get .20 Cu Ft? - And what would the response be?

Im wanting atleast 30-35 hz response... how big would it have to be to get this?

thanks
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2006
    how tall? or how wide? give one of those dims and the other can be calculated.

how deep is the driver, will it fit in that box?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    hoosier21 wrote:
    how deep is the driver, will it fit in that box?
    That's what I thought about. I don't know anything about those subs, though.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    hes giving top and bottom dimensions so neo can go into winisd, enter in all the t/s parameters to where he can get a 30-35Hz frequency. The sides can be longer as long as he gets the right frequency...at least thats what im guessing.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    The height need to be about 15 Overall - width is a toss up to what the program says...

The sub is 4.75" deep, from what I read. Should fit as long as I keep it in the lower portion. (I can always add a spacer ring to it)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    hes giving top and bottom dimensions so neo can go into winisd, enter in all the t/s parameters to where he can get a 30-35Hz frequency. The sides can be longer as long as he gets the right frequency...at least thats what im guessing.
    -Cody

but he would still need to know the height of the box to figure the length or know the length to calc the height
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Dimensions/Known External

7 (B) - 4" (T) (depth) x 15" (Height) - External

Width is variable

3/4" MDF
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    i'll post a prelim design by the end of monday
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    awesome, thank you!
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    okay... you need a box about the width of the sub to make .2 cubic feet... you will NOT get great extension out of that... these numbers take a rough approximation of cabin gain into account...

set 95 Hz = 0 dB
    then 85 Hz = -3 dB
    72 Hz = -6 dB
    63 Hz = -9 dB
    40 Hz = -17 dB
    30 Hz = -21 dB

make the box 3 feet wide, and you get flat down to 74 Hz, -3 dB @ 49 Hz, -6 dB @ 38 Hz, -9 dB @ 30 Hz, and -15 dB @ 20 Hz, a much more respectable set of numbers

phase is actually more uniform with the smaller one, the bigger one could have the 'late-bass' phenomenon, but it's not so whacked-out that that should be an issue... ditto for group delay...

i'm seeing a max SPL of 111 dB @ 100 Hz, 98 dB @ 55 Hz, 80 dB @ 20 Hz for the small box, whilst the large box has 111 dB @ 100 Hz, 108 dB @ 55 Hz, 91 dB @ 20 Hz...

the sizes in between follow a roughly linear pattern, but these are the two extremes you should consider... ported boxes aren't looking so good, you simply don't have the space available to make one work for your needs... i can work through more iterations if you like, but if that's what you were looking for, so sorry...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    So a box...
    Externally - 15" tall, 7-4" deep with an angled front, 36" wide

So itll be... 13.5" Tall, 5.5- 2.5" deeph, 34.5" wide internally?

And itd get -3db at 50hz, 40hz at -6db - thats not TOO bad...

What if we could bump the height another 3" - how much could the width be cut down to get similiar volume?

Thanks for your help! :)
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    What if we put 1+ pounds of polyfill in it?
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    so... much... tiredness... i'll look at this again when i'm more awake, later today... :p

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    Bump

Just seeing where this may go, Id like to get started on a box shortly...

Thanks! :)
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    ah! so much sorriness! totally forgot... i am... ah... not going to be here for the rest of the evening, so perhaps once i awake tomorrow i can finish the design...

• neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    hey... sorry for the delay on the box, but i'm gonna have to back out on this one... i hate to go back on my word like this, but i've got way too much **** on my plate at school right now...

sorry... i hope the data i was able to provide was able to help at least a little bit...

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    Its cool man...

Thanks anyways. :)

Anyone else able to design a box for me?