Commando?

SportsFan
SportsFan Posts: 93
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking at car alarms, and I see that Commando has some car alarms, at very reasonable prices...that seem to offer quite a lot to the end user.

I'm not that familiar with Commando products or as a company...so can anyone tell me, is this a good, quality car alarm? Has anyone gone COMMANDO out there??? :eek:
'98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
Polk Audio db650
Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
Post edited by SportsFan on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2006
    Dei
    cats.vans.bag...
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    swerve wrote:
    Dei
    :confused:

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    I looked at Python, but they are higher priced with less features. I also read somewhere that a car alarm is a car alarm, and not to get caught up too much in "name brands"....that's why I'm asking about COMMANDO :eek:

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    go cheap and you get cheap. It's pretty much how all electronics work. And after already dealing with one car stolen, I think an alarm is the most important thing you can put a few extra bucks into. That's why I went with the best alarm on the market, Clifford AvantGuard 5. Thing is a dream and wouldn't trade it for the world. But if you don't care about your car that much and want to save a few bucks, don't get an alarm at all! That'll save you a lot!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2006
    http://www.black-ridge.com/commando_threats.htm
    Commando Threats

While I have no experience with this brand, I firmly believe "you get what you pay for". False alarms can be a bugger, and neighbours may take it out on your car if it falses a lot. Thieves will take advantage too.

Want starter or fuel disable as a feature? If this or the remote fails, it usually means a tow back to the alarm installer or car dealer (and the dealer may simply cut out alarm additions to vehicle harness to fix problem, leaving you with a mangled mess of alarm wires and a huge bill). Nothing worse than a car you can't start with your own key.

Directed is not a bad choice- quality is there, and sensors and add-ons are usually interchangeable throughout their lines. They have a lengthy history in the business. If installed by a competent shop, most alarms will be OK, but most failures these days are due to an alarm "brain" going bad. If this goes bad on you, you want the shop to stand behind the product and change out the offending parts if this becomes an issue. DEI is usually pretty good about backing the product at a dealer level.

Even a big ticket car alarm can be unreliable if installed poorly. Crimp connections are OK but soldered connections- especially where interfaced with ignition system- are the best idea. Name brand + quality installer = less headaches.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    Good advice. I would not skimp on the alarm. I've had good luck with my Cliffords, also a DEI product.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    I guess I'll just keep looking a little more then....but don't you guys feel afraid to spend MY money now, OK? :D

Wow, sucks for you, Toxis.....that's too bad. Never had a car stolen, and don't think I wanna start anytime soon ;)

Three local shops carry and install some of the big brands: Python (Circuit City), Viper (Best Buy), and Clifford (Audio Works). I'll probably call around next week and compare packages and pricing. Thanks again.....

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    Try to ask around to see who does the better car audio installs around you. Those guys would more than likely also do a good job on the alarms. I had one of my alarms installed at a CC and they did a bad job. That was a long time ago though.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    I would stick to DEI. My shop also sells Carbine which are also pretty damn good alarms. Just find yourself a quality installer. I would go to audio works personally, I would never let BB or CC install my stuff.

Dont get me wrong, I know a couple of ppl at BB and CC that do great jobs installing, but theyre few and far between. Go to audio works and ask if they solder all their connections. If they say yes, thats the first sign, if they say anything about crimps or t-taps, ESPECIALLY if they say t-taps, run and hide. Ive installed close to 100-150 alarms and can tell you that a car alarm is NOT a car alarm, and the installation is just as important. If Audio Works is a Clifford dealer, I would go to them. You have to certified to be a Clifford dealer not only through DEI, but through Clifford itself, they dont allow just anyone to carry their brand. I'm not saying every clifford dealer is great, but most of the time theyre pretty good about installing and dont take shortcuts. But ask them if they have any other brands, we carry clifford, but also carry a cheaper alternative called Carbine. It runs you $225 installed with keyless entry if you have power door locks.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    blackmax,

Form what I have heard, all of the shops consider each other as "equal" more or less. That's what I have heard from various customers as well.

And thanks for the tip, Cody...I'll be sure to check that out as well.

There is another local shop that carries many of the DEI brands (except for Python, which seems to be exclusively handled by Circuit City), and installs them as well. They carry Viper, The Valet, Hornet, Wasp, etc., so I'm guessing that since they are all DEI products, that they should be similar in nature (and effectiveness)....correct? The Hornet lines seems to offer a little more features than Viper, and and less cost......so does anyone have any experience with Hornet, The Valet, Wasp, etc.?

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• Rogue Torino
    Rogue Torino Posts: 50
    edited February 2006
    More or less all DEI stuff is good (don't buy the Boa stuff, cheaper tech). Viper, Python, and most of the newer Clifford (not all) stuff is all based on the same products with different labels. Python is exclusive to Circuit City. Viper and Clifford can be found in various shops.

As far as I know all Circuit City's are required to use solder and tape, I know that's the standard at my location. Regardless find a shop with good installers or if you're up to it you could install it yourself if you feel you're experienced enough. The key is to think like a thief and build up your security systems in layers.The longer it takes them to get the car the more likely they'll give up or get caught.
    -Joe
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    agreed, boa is DEI, but its absolute crap
    -Cody
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    OK, so stay away from BOA. Thanks, will do.

What are Hornet? Wasp? The Valet?

I'm seeing THOSE DEI brands available at local shops, with pretty decent features and at a pretty decent cost.....

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• Rogue Torino
    edited February 2006
    Those are good. Not as fancy as the other's but will be reliable.
    -Joe
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    i'm guessing that Avital (another DEI brand) would be comparable to Viper, Python, Hornet, etc. A local shop has Avital systems that have some nice features and at a decent cost, so I'm considering it now as well (although all I know about Avital is that it is a DEI brand).

Just curious, but has anyone used or heard anything about Avital or Python, and can compare the two?

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• Rogue Torino
    edited February 2006
    Same build quality, both are good.
    :edit: Just find one with the features you want that's really the only difference between the DEI lines.
    -Joe
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    Thank you, Rogue Torino....I greatly appreciate your help and input in this thread. :)

I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with right now, but in the next day or so I should have a better idea. On Wednesday, I plan to go to both shops to have a closer look (one sells and installs Python, the other sells and installs Avital), since both are DEI brands. I'm going to talk to their salesmen and installers, and see for myself which one has the features that I like the best, and at the most cost-effecient price.

Thanks again ;)

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    Well, it looks like having the interior "trunk release lever" (because it is cable, rather than an electronic "release") adjusted to accomodate the remote is going to cost almost as much as the alarm! Installing the alarm with all the features I want (minus remote trunk opener) = around $250. But simply buying a solenoid (spelling?) and having it installed, so that the release lever inside the vehicle is still functional and works, but that also allows the trunk to be popped open with the remote is going to cost approx. $150! :eek: ....for a grand total of just under $400 (for everything)! That's really not that bad of a price, is it? I shopped around, and the prices I was quoted was anywhere from $350 to $700 (Honda dealership), depending on the shop and the system, etc., but usually in the $400-$450 range......

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• exalted512
    edited February 2006
    thats what we charge, not a bad price at all
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    hmm... is it really that huge a deal to use the trunk button on the remote? my car beeps once on lock, twice on unlock, thrice on trunk open, so unlocking and opening the trunk gets pretty annoying on the ears... i've become accustomed to opening my door and hitting my trunk button (or using the key directly on the trunk), and haven't yet had a problem because of it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    well its nice when you have your hands full and such. I'm going to put it on the old lady's car whenever i can spare some cash.
    -Cody
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    LOL....I don't think my trunk release will beep three times, neo! I can see where that might drive you crazy, though.....but as for mine, I certainly hope not (since they already told me that it wouldn't)!

Anyway, you're absolutely right about the trunk release, Cody.

At night, when it's dark.....just finding the tiny keyhole on the back bumper somewhere on the taillight to place the key in can be enough of a pain. Then add in the elements.....cold, freezing rain, snow, sleet, excessive wind.....and like you said, if you've got your hands full, or are wheeling some groceries, etc., and just being able to pop that baby and get in and out in a jiff is really pretty sweet!

It might be a little excessive, price-wise, for the labor to hook it up the right way (this shop is basically charging the same amount to hook the trunk solenoid up as they are the actual alarm!), but hopefully after many years of use and numerous times having the trunk popped open with the remote (or even with the lever inside.....it's nice being able to still keep that feature) it'll prove to be worth it.

BTW...I've decided I'm going with the Avital. Same warranty, system guts and brain as the Python (and other DEI brands like Viper, Clifford, etc.)...it just had a few other "extras" and nice features that I liked, was around the same price as the Python, but less expensive han the Viper and Clifford. I'm sure that's because I'm paying for the actual system, and not necessarily "the name".......

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• exalted512
    edited February 2006
    The reason Clifford is so expensive is because of all the technology in it and all the features they have. The clifford remote starts will start your car at a certain temperature if you want it to so itll heat up the engine. They will also start your car if your battery is too low. They also have a thing called a bitwriter than you can plug into them. This isnt necessarily for you, more for the installer, but basically it allows you to change every setting on it with a small little computer that resembles a diagnostic tester. The newest cliffords are windows xp compatible and you can change their settings through your laptop.

Out of curiosity, what features does the alarm youre getting have that you liked??
    -Cody
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what features does the alarm youre getting have that you liked??
    -Cody
    Nothing earthshaking, and perhaps it's just me being more anal than anything, but here are a few:

* 4 button remote (with seperate lock/unlock buttons)
    * Built-in relays....for the trunk release and domelight
    * Second unlock (Driver priority)
    * Domelight illumination on disarm
    * Chirp on/off adjustable volume/disengage

There are probably others...but off the top of my head, that's all I can think of right now. And while these may seem like somewhat "standard" features for most alarms....according to some of the salespeople and brochures/info, etc. I spoke with and looked at, I don't believe they are. And if they are, well....the salesman at the shop which sells Avital (and Cliford) did a much better job of explaining all the features. This shop also has a very good rep locally for car stereo installs, and their installer has been with them for 10+ years, and worked at another shop a few years before working at this one....so I feel pretty good about the professionalism and service that they provide.

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• exalted512
    edited February 2006
    sounds like you found a good shop with a good deal. Congrats
    -Cody
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, Cody.....I appreciate that :)

Yeah, this one that I'm seriously looking at is considered the top-of-the-line Avital security alarm (2300), and since I'm not looking to add a remote starter and/or 2-way communication....I mainly just wanted the best security alarm with the most features at the most affordable price. This one has all the major features (Starter Kill/On Board, 66-bit Stealth Code Hopping Technology, Dual Zone Shock Sensor, Valet Mode, 6 Tone Siren, Remote Panic/Car Finder, $2,500 Guaranteed Protection Plan, Lifetime Warranty - parts, etc., etc.) of the others, with a few small extras that I like (listed above), and at a reasonable price. And since it's DEI quality, I should be pretty pleased with it (fingers crossed)....

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    Crimestopper www.crimestopper.com -- dei sucks.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    Crimestopper www.crimestopper.com -- dei sucks.
    youre on crack
    -Cody
  • SportsFan
    edited February 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    youre on crack
    -Cody
    LOL...kinda what I was thinking (re: the whole "dei sucks" comment)

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    they don't suck... dei makes a good product... Crimestopper's just cheaper and for the most part has the same features for far less money. Dei's nice though...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge