Polk Model 10

Options
bigyank
bigyank Posts: 224
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
So I picked up the speakers today! These have the peerless tweeters which are working fabuously! These have the fuses as well! I auditioned them at the sellers house with Dire Straits Money for Nothing. The guy spoiled me though as he used a KT-88 based integrated (make/model escape me currently). Damn these speakers sound great! I am truly surprised, had a nice taught bottom end and smooth highs. :D

They are going to be a labor of love project. I am going to use some real veneer on these and build the stands (using the thread listed within this site).

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36786

This pic (from Ebay auction) really does not do these justice. Man I love this hobby!

Yank
Polk Monitor 7
Polk Atrium 55
Post edited by bigyank on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Congrats! Post the results when you've finished the project.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gyusher
    gyusher Posts: 77
    edited February 2006
    Options
    There is a pair closing today near Chicago. The auction looks kinda plain but the seller sent me high-res pics and they look great. Only thing is it is a pick-up only. I will decide today if I want to make the trip. Complete with original stands, manual and one owner, well kept.

I love mine, they are keepers.

Evidently your better half caved. . . LOL. . . Seriously how does your wife like them??
  • bigyank
    edited February 2006
    Options
    She just rolls her eyes. :D

What I have found that works to my advantage is that I have a storage area setup in my basement (humidity controlled) where I keep all the gear not in use. If she sees my stash she starts to get cranky. Out of site, out of mind :p

She would be happy with a Bose radio on the counter! :eek:

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • bigyank
    edited February 2006
    Options
    So I got them home. They need new grill cloth (frames are in primo shape) and the vinyl is peeling but I figure a good speaker to learn how to veneer on. Got 3 badges coming, only need 1 (long story but won auctions on EPay) Here is a pic before I cleaned them up. I got them for about 100.00 for the pair. I was hesitant but I fired them up (without stands) with my trusty Sansui AU-G99X and went through some of the classics (Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc.).

I have seen some posts within the forums for Monitor 10s with real Rosewood veneer. Could find much else on that. Does anyone know what finishes were offered? I would like to keep them consistent to what was offered if possible. If not, I might go with Sapele.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I think it was just oak and cherry, if I'm not mistaken.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • bigyank
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Tks! Now what would be nice is someone could capture a pic of their Model 10 (or Monitor 10's) side panels so I can try to mimic the color.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure about the rosewood, I think that was vinyl only, but Polk did not use cherry back then. The 2 common wood veneers were oak and walnut.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bigyank
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks again! I was looking hard at rosewood initially but since I am a newbie on veneering as it is, oak is not nearly as pricey! Also, what is the "normal" finish for the baffle? Flat or a satin black finish? Crylon anyone :D

I am excited. I hope these turn out as good as they sound :)

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,295
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Those are very early ones: note the uncoated paper PR cone. The only "finish" in those days would've been "walnut" vinyl. My Monitor 7A's (and my LF-14, for that matter) are Polk's slightly later, "rosewood" vinyl. We always referred to them as "orange"... it's not a very impressive faux finish! That being said, I got a discount on my floor model demo orange 7A's (in 1978) and of course had to buy the matching LF-14 a few years later. All three pieces are still in fine working order and are here for the duration.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yank, the baffle is actually a thin, textured paper. However, you can spray it with Krylon. I prefer the semi-flat black.

President of Club Polk

• gyusher
    edited February 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Yank, the baffle is actually a thin, textured paper. However, you can spray it with Krylon. I prefer the semi-flat black.

I think they discontinued semi-flat black (bummer). . .Do not use Krylon's Flat Black or their replacement for semi-flat Black. Worst case you want a satin or low lustre or a gloss level of around 8-10. . . If you do find Semi-Flat Black buy it.
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited February 2006
    Options
    My RTA-12's (aka Monitor 12, big brothers to the 10) are also in the "rosewood" vinyl (now aka "orange" :) ), though they strangely match my livingroom decor... :eek: The only finishes I've seen offered in pamphlets were the vinyl, oak veneer and walnut veneer.

There was at least one pair of RTA-12's veneered in rosewood, they're in a display of vintage Polk speakers at Polk HQ, visible in this picture:
    http://www.king-nerd.com/dood/images/temp/91605/100_0698.jpg

The picture is part of a Polk HQ tour thread here on the forum (warning: many BIG pictures)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32353

They were veneered on the sides, top, bottom and face, and I think they're unique (may have been a styling study or something). They're sitting next to another pair of RTA-12 with oak veneer.

*sigh* I wish mine had the wood veneer. I like 'em a lot, but not sure if i want to go through learning to apply veneer or paying someone to refinish them...
  • bigyank
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Damn! Maybe I will have to veneer the baffles as well. I really liked the look :D

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • gyusher
    edited February 2006
    Options
    bigyank wrote:
    Damn! Maybe I will have to veneer the baffles as well. I really liked the look :D

Yank

Me too John. . . I just noticed mine are different colors. . . I too like the "real wood" front baffle. . . I have some connections to big speaker folks that buy our paint. I know we have the black paint that we sell to one of the biggest Pro Speaker companies. The Chemist is in the same lab. . . If I find out anything of interest I will drop you a line. . .
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited February 2006
    Options
    oh man, I think I'm gonna have to learn veneering now... :-)
  • gyusher
    edited February 2006
    Options
    joelll wrote:
    oh man, I think I'm gonna have to learn veneering now... :-)

Only thing that baffles me is breaking that front edge so they stay basically the same as now. . .

Plus mitering the corners or wraping the corner. . . I guess I need to start on a couple little boxes first. . .
  • dutchtowner
    dutchtowner Posts: 15
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I got a couple Monitor 10s with the old walnut stuff on them that I want to paint black. Any paint recommendations? Has anyone done this? :confused: Thanks for any advice.

Dutchtowner
  • bigyank
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Here is raising a thread from the dead! :D

I am going to be painting the Model 10's in this pic instead of attempting veneer. I have a pair of Frankenspeakers I am now completing in which I used the following paint (Duratex):

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

I learned a LOT while using this paint. Heavy coats (2), first coat I used a 1/4" nap roller to completely seal the cabinets and then a BIG textured roller for the second coat, this allows you to hide some imperfections but not all. Does not require any primer, etc. I used a textured roller and will update this thread later today with a pic of the results.

I am going to strip the vinyl off the model 10 cabinets and fill any imperfections with bondo. Oh, one last thing I like about Duratex, the paint, once dried, is 100% waterproof so go ahead honey, put your planters on top of my speakers!

Enjoy!

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • bigyank
    edited June 2007
    Options
    here is what this paint looks like on MDF. I used a 1/2" nap for the first coat on all sides and though it is hard to see the top and sides I used a splatter roller to create a textured surface. Bottom line it is way easier then veneering, is 100% water proof.

I have enough (I hope) left to do the Model 10's once I strip the vinyl off and fill any voids with bondo.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • bigyank
    edited July 2007
    Options
    The drivers of my Model 10's are dusty. What is the best way to clean them up?

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Windex and some paper towels (I've used old white socks with good luck, too). Spray the Windex on the paper towels (not the speaker) and wipe in a circular motion. If the dust caps have a white-ish look to them, I found that rubbing alcohol (or windex) on a Q-tip cleans them nicely. Don't use anything like Armor All or crud like that. Windex did the trick for my 10B's, SDA 1C's and recently acquired SRS2's. It works wonders on the rubber surrounds and the passive radiators as they seem to collect stuff thru the years.

Good luck!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Gretsch6136
    Gretsch6136 Posts: 80
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Bigyank,

I see you possibly have 2 surplus Polk badges. I'd be happy to take them off your hands for my vintage monitor 5's that I need to make grilles for. I'd happily pay you postage and a reasonable price for the badges themselves.

Cheers,

Mark
  • bigyank
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Only issue is one of them is nickel (silver?) and the other gold. I was going to either paint them or try to get them plated in nickel. If you still want them as is (they are in good shape) let me know.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • Gretsch6136
    Gretsch6136 Posts: 80
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi Bigyank,

Thanks for the offer but I really am after a matching pair.

Cheers,

Mark