Lets see what yall can do!

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, BUDGET - $1,500 (Minus money for a company to install it, I know I can do it myself - but I honestly dont want the responsibility. I can go to a speciality CA shop around here for them to install it, not CC or something.

Here is what it will need

1) One pair of speakers
2) A head unit
3) A subwoofer
4) An amp for the mains
5) Wires and cables... (of course0

I am leaning very much to the Infinity Basslink, even after investigating the other options, for the subwoofer. Mainly because it is an exact fit, Ive had alot of experience with them. Im not "programmed" to build a subwoofer that small, or anything that small. Id have to brace the crap out of it... lol - I couldnt do it any other way...

But assuming that is a route I take, subtract $400 -- but if you guys can throw out a sub + amp combo (please include the cubic foot)

The head unit dosnt have to be all black, but a discrete looking unit would be desireable.

The speakers will be behind the door panels, they will NOT be visible, period. Because if someone looks in my truck, the LAST THING they are going to see is speakers sticking out of the door. Discrete is the key.

The reason why Im extending my budget (and it may go higher) - is I have gone down that road of cheaping out...and its a mistake - no reason to make that mistake twice.

Im looking forward to your opinions/advice/options.

If you can throw out a pair of 300 dollar speakers, 300 dollar HU, 300 dollar amp, sub... that would work... or if one is less important than the other...etc

Would the SR series be ok without a sub? Would having them + a high quality amp with no sub be better?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited February 2006
    Ok, BUDGET - $1,500
    Here is what it will need

1) One pair of speakers
    2) A head unit
    3) A subwoofer
    4) An amp for the mains
    5) Wires and cables... (of course0

?

Speakers - MB Quart QSD-216 440.00
    HU - Alpine 7998 ~300.00
    Sub - Orion H2 10.2 200.00
    Sub Box - Vented 100.00
    Amp Main - Cliff Design CD760HC 160.00
    AMp Sub - JL Audio 500/1 300.00
    Wires Streetwires Ultra Flow Kit 150.00
    Total $1650.00 plus shipping/install

All prices are derived from Ebay.....your price will vary, i realize I went a little over....
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Everything Ill give you will be retail prices cause I dont recommend buying from Ebay or unauthorized dealers.

First off, speakers. You can easily use SR's without a sub but youre no rookie when it comes to SQ so I can assure you, youll want a sub. Also road noise will eliminate a lot of the bass response 6.5" speakers will have. Since youre not wanting to go with component speakers then stick with coaxials. Polk Audio MMC525 would be my choice at $150.

Second, sub. Dude! Ive seen some of your boxes. It would be childs play to build a .4 ft3 box for an IDQ 10 an if you dont puss out and use a crappy Basslink, you wont be allowed to hang out with us over here anymore! :pImage Dynamics IDQ10 for $120.

Next up we go for the head unit. Alpine use to be my favorite but they have sold out now. They no longer emphasize SQ but have chosen to concentrate their efforts on taming the Ipod! Eff Alpine! So that leaves us with the rest of the field and out of them Eclipse is my favorite as they seem to be aimed more to the enthusiast/purist than casual listener. Pioneer is also good as is Clarion. Kenwood, JVC and Sony are all fine too but I dont like their looks and/or feature options as well. That being said, Ill recommend this Eclipse CD4000 for $350. It is a reasonable price, has high voltage outputs and plenty of nifty features to play with.

Now for amps. For your configuration, I recommend a single 4 channel amp. This will be much easier to install and take up less room. This Kicker KX650.4 aint a bad choice for $300. Itll easily make 120 watts for the front channels and 325 for the sub with the rear channels bridged. 120 watts is a little steep for the MMC525's but with proper gain setting and some common sense with the volume, youll be ok. Plus if you ever want to upgrade to some high end components, youll have enough power to push em properly.

Now to wrap things up, a nice Streetwires 4 guage amp kit for $45, some high quality Streetwires RCA's for $51 and some good Streetwires 14 guage speaker wire at $.75/ft (I figure youd need 20').

Now this is will be a very good sounding system that uses very high quality equipment that will perform great, be well built and last all for $1015.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Im just concerned with the volume, not realy the box...

.4 isnt that big atleast. However, I will need some help calculating the volume to a tapered box... hmm

Everyone, thanks for the input.

Aaron, I really like the setup you laid out for me ---- I will have to reference to this thread later on as this project will be more realistic, Im just looking for whats out there...

But what you laid out looks very solid...

Thanks to all, once again.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    I second all of Mac's suggestions. However, I recommend you spend some of that extra money you saved and get the MMC6500 instead of the MMC525. That is, if you're willing to make a whole for the tweeter, which you should be.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    The interrior of the truck can NOT be altered in any way, shape or form. If someone looks inside my truck out of curiosity, they should see no sign of a sound system except the HU, which will be in my pocket.

Thanks Mac & AB
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    i agree with everything mac said. heres the best link ive found for simple box calculations:
    http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited February 2006
    You can buy a box now days cheaper than you can build one.Checkout www.topedgeonline.com. They have any type of box you'll ever need at dirt cheap prices.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    You're insane...

Ok...

Full Sheet of MDF... $20
    Carpet $5
    Box of Screws, $2.50
    Glue $5

And considering I already have the glue and screws and the MDF to build it! ;)

Thats... 37.50 - the boxes on there are 50 dollars + 40 dollar shipping, thats 90 bucks, and thats 50 bucks more than I could build a box for and it wont be near as good.

And Id have wood left over... and not to mention I could build another box. Not to mention the box I can build will run circles around the boxes I can buy. Aint no way Id buy a prebuilt box...

I *overbuild* everything I build...

Anything I build from now on will have 50-600" of bracing in it. Its a pact Ive made with myself. Birch plywood bracing everywhere.
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2006
    You're insane...

Ok...

Full Sheet of MDF... $20
    Carpet $5
    Box of Screws, $2.50
    Glue $5

And considering I already have the glue and screws and the MDF to build it! ;)

Thats... 37.50 - the boxes on there are 50 dollars + 40 dollar shipping, thats 90 bucks, and thats 50 bucks more than I could build a box for and it wont be near as good.

And Id have wood left over... and not to mention I could build another box. Not to mention the box I can build will run circles around the boxes I can buy. Aint no way Id buy a prebuilt box...

I *overbuild* everything I build...

Anything I build from now on will have 50-600" of bracing in it. Its a pact Ive made with myself. Birch plywood bracing everywhere.

Where do you get full sheets of MDF for $20? Last sheet I bought at Lowes
    cost me $36! :)
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    btw, if you need help with volume calculations or box design (ha!), ask me and ye shall recieve :p (i like math... sick, ain't it?).

consider the SRs, mounted coaxially, if you can manage them in your install locations... also consider the polk 400.4, rather than the kicker... just options...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2006
    I have 2 sets of the SR's and I do really like the sound. I'll probably end up getting a sub at some point, but I don't think that they're lacking so badly that they NEED one.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    I can get a full sheet of 3/4 mdf for 22 bucks at home depot all day...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Brett, just wait til they break in better! ;)

A 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF runs $20 here in Chatty as well. I prefer birch plywood myself as its stronger so you can use a 1/2" sheet and get the strength of a 3/4" sheet of MDF which is good if you need to conserve space. Plus its more resistant to the elements. But itll run you $14 for a 4' sheet.

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    20' sheet of MDF is freaking big...you'd need an extra long bed for that one Mac! ;)
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    20' sheet of MDF is freaking big...you'd need an extra long bed for that one Mac! ;)
    now we know his secret for making boxes with only 4 sides!!!
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Huh? Where the hell did I come up with 20'? Mustve been thinking about the price. It shouldve been 4'x8'

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I have 2 sets of the SR's and I do really like the sound. I'll probably end up getting a sub at some point, but I don't think that they're lacking so badly that they NEED one.......

I believe that once you get a sub working in your system, you will wonder why you did not do it earlier. The SR's are nice, but they cannot match a subs output/low frequency reproduction.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    hell with this **** dude...

grab a set of Oz Audio Matrix Components and an Oz Vector SQ sub... snag a 150 x 2 amp for the highs and a 500 x 1 for the sub... or just get a 150 x 4 and bridge the rear to the sub... You can do all that, a head, and some wire for 1500 easily and itll take you an afternoon to put in... add the time to build the sub box and make it fit and boom u're done.

do it right, do it once... dont **** around.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge