Monster Cable should die

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.monstervintage.com/

I happened upon this site... if you scroll to the bottom, it has a description of their devastating legal battle with Monster Cable. I found a link (here) to the US Patent and Trademark Office, which lists all the suits Monster has started, and there are over a hundred of them, all against companies that have the word 'Monster' in their name, or have a trademark that has the word "Monster' in it, or are applying for a trademark...

A selection:
The gum maker Wrigley has an application in to trademark "Monster Sticks" for gum... Monster Cable is opposing this, saying "The intended trademark MONSTERSTICKS is confusingly similar to [Monster's] above-stated individual trademarks and the MONSTER family of marks, and registration of [Wrigley's] proposed mark and continued use by [Wrigley] on its goods is likely to cause confusion, deception and mistake." (emphasis added by me).

They plan to oppsoe Hasbro in their application for the trademark "Giga Monsters" for a child's toy. I'm actually happy about this one, because they'll lose, and it'll cost them money.

They filed a request to delay Porter-Cable's application for "Monster-Carbide" for a tool of some sort, and after their third request for delay, Porter-Cable dropped the application.

They're opposing the name "Monster Pans" for a freaking kitchenware company.

The Monster energy drink, Monster Garage on the Discovery channel (Monster abandoned this in a secret decision, presumably because they realised they were going to lose, and lose publicly and very painfully), a small slot machine called Monster Slots, like 15 suits against "Monster Seats", a french Nestle candy bar called the "Blue Monster Bar"... the list goes on and on...

There's one from Bose against Monster, too... Bose's Acoustic Wave vs. Monster's Lightwave cable :D

The point of all this is that I'm going to start actively reccommending against Monster Cables to everyone I can get my hands on... these suits last years and cost tens of thousands of dollars that small companies simply do not have... they're forced out of business, or forced to accede to Monster's terms... simply put, Monster is being a huge dick about this, for no readily apparent reason, and the people that are getting hurt can't do anything about it... WE CAN... and I'd like to call for all of you out there to do the same, and boycott Monster Cable... we've all known better than to buy Monster for a long time, so it's no loss to us, but it's the thousands that buy overpriced products every day that support this rampage against the little man... I can't wait to see where this goes...
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• kingsqueak
    kingsqueak Posts: 116
    edited February 2006
    Retitle this "Lawyers Should Die"

Lawyers created the laws that permit this nonsense to go on and lawyers continue to propagate this crap.

To make it worse, the Fed is used to enforce this nonsense too now. They've taken already ludicrous civil matters and twisted them into criminal matters.

Lawyers, eroding your morality and common sense every day.
    Harman Kardon AVR-435 Receiver
    Polk RTi6 (L/R) CSi3 (Center) RM3000 (SL/SR)
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited February 2006
    Lawyers suck...yes but monster has the right to say no to the lawyers and they don't.
    monster has created a monster with the way they cram their name down our throats.
    Eff monster.
    Eff the lawyers also.

p.s. the cables in my sig were free.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    The cable company should sue Monster Cable for using the word "cable".

Sesame Street should sue Monster Cable since they obviously stole the word from "The Cookie Monster".
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited February 2006
    Excellent sugestions, lets start a class action because we are afraid of the monster.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2006
    FYI, here's an old thread about this topic.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2006
    All of you except kingsqueak will be served because you used the word m*nster without paying royalties prior to typing, saying, uttering, mumbling, spraypainting, thinking, or screaming the word "m*nster."

Have a nice day.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    The cable company should sue Monster Cable for using the word "cable".

Sesame Street should sue Monster Cable since they obviously stole the word from "The Cookie Monster".
    in all honesty, i believe monster is suing sesame street
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    WelcomeToLastWeek.jpg
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    They went after Disney for Monsters Inc. Disney put their foot up Monster Cables arse.

Monster Complaint:
    http://www.madmartian.com/legal/disney_complaint.pdf

Disney's Response:
    http://www.madmartian.com/legal/disney_response.pdf
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    ive heard bad things about monster cable ne suggestions on what else to use i support your boycott. cause i think there being asses my self
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    bobman, PT, thanks for the links... nappy time for me, i'll look over them tomorrow...

98thingy - for home stuff, go to that side of the forum, you'll hear more about cables than you ever wanted to know... for us, basically stick with stinger, streetwires, and as an economy option knukonceptz (though they've provided above-par results for many)...

toxis... ouch, man, very ouch...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2006
    I have boycotted Monster Cable for years for this reason, and the same applies to
    Doctor (Quack) Amar Bose and his wares and also Honda Motor Company.

People really should do real research rather than reading the crap spoon fed to them
    by publications like Consumer Reports. If a company has shady business tactics and
    the three above are some of the worst (as is Ferrari) I simply won't own thier garbage.

If enough people would do this, then they would CEASE to exist..
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited February 2006
    Signal Cable (He supports us, so you should support him) ;)
    Zebra Cable (another great company)
    Blue Jeans Cables
    Cobalt Cables
    IXOS
    Kimber
    Audioquest
    MIT
    Transparent
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, take a stand and don't buy a Ferrari. That'll show 'em.

This **** is old. I know a guy who runs a company called Monster Distributing and never heard anything from Monster Cable. And I hear Monster.com commercials all the time. If anyone's to blame it's lawyers.
This discussion has been closed.