A sub for a truck...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im going to present a challenge to you folks...it might be hard, might not be...

Im in a regular cab truck, has the bench seat and all that...

Heres your challenge...

Find me a powered sub (or passive) that will fit behind my seat.

Here are the options I have found

1) Infinity Basslink
2) Bazooka Tube (which isnt really an option...more like a last resort, the earth is about to explode if you dont get a sub kind of last resort)

Now, i have personally heard/screwed around with the Basslink from Infinity for over a year (my Dad had one in his extended cab Nissan (A king cab - slightly smaller than todays King Cabs) - anyways... I was pretty impressed with it, wasnt that accurate - but it sure was better than the effing Rectal Tubes from Bapuka... - I KNOW I can pick one of them up for 250 shipped. The question is, is it too big... ?

Now assuming it is to big, or you guys can do me better...

Any other options out there?

Thanks for all the help! :)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RoosterD
    RoosterD Posts: 36
    edited February 2006
    I built one. Find the box specs on a sub that doesn't need a lot of room, and build it yourself. I did it for $20 plus the cost of the speaker! It's really easy, especially if you have a helpful contact at a car stereo store for info like port length/size. I also had a standard cab truck. Dodge Dakota to be precise. You have to get an amp for it though. Good luck.
    Denon 3805S
    Denon 3910S
    Polk LSi 15's
    Polk LSi F/X's
    Polk LSi C
    Boston Pro 10" DIY Sub
    Samsung 5678W DLP 1080P
    PS3
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Do you have pics? Etc
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    we all know you're perfectly capable of constructing something like this, and as for a small sub... pioneer makes a 4" deep 12" sub, or look at image dynamics subs - they require very little space...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • RoosterD
    RoosterD Posts: 36
    edited February 2006
    Do you have pics? Etc

Here check this out. http://www.ehow.com/how_4073_build-subwoofer-box.html
    Denon 3805S
    Denon 3910S
    Polk LSi 15's
    Polk LSi F/X's
    Polk LSi C
    Boston Pro 10" DIY Sub
    Samsung 5678W DLP 1080P
    PS3
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    I know how to build a box, I was more so curious about your box. :)

That Basslink is exactly the size it would have to be (7" deep to 3-4" deep (tapered in the front)...

Yep, building a box is no big deal...

Anyways...

Neo --- Is Image Dynamics better than Pioneer...? Id like to stay away from Pioneer...

And would the ID be better than the Infinity?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    put it this way - of those three choices, i'd get the ID sub and do my own box
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Do you have a link to it?

And how big do you think itd have to be..power? etc

Could you help me model a box?

Thanks
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Image Dynamics is one of the best audio companies on the market and their subs are up their with the W7!

Now dude, as good as you are at building boxes and as critical a listener as you are, you should not settle for a Basslink. Buy you a good sub and amp, build a box and enjoy. Youll feel better about yourself, and even better you can trump all the little punks at school by being the only dude with a system that YOU built. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    Go with an IDQ or www.reaudio.com and get an RE 10 or 12. You can get em for like $50 and are extremely accurate subs. The brand is RE and their bottom series is called RE(to clear up any confusion.) So technically is the RE RE12. I have an RE10 around the house somewhere and its an extremely accurate sub. I built a small ported box for it a couple months ago and put it in the truck for a week and it was extremely loud and still kept its sq. Another option is JBL, their GT(or GTO, the cheaper one) is also extremely good and you can pick em up for really cheap.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    How much do you want for your RE10?

And how small of a box does it need (smallest possible)...
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    I have q-logic truck box`s behind my seat with two 10" polk subs..

works for me...!

I`ll take some pic` s tomorrow when I get a chance..
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Another option Sid is a Kicker L5 8" sub. Here. Ive heard quite a few of these and they sound very good. The thing that makes them worth consideration is that they only take a .33 box which is very small but they still can handle 300-400 watts with ease. Plus the square shape gives them more surface area as opposed to a round 8.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Is that more spl or sq?

Im looking at SQ first - would the ID be a better choice?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    I think the ID would be more SQ oriented, though I believe the Kicker has some decent SQ.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    The ID is a strict SQ sub. Their IDQ10 is also an excellent choice. While it requires a little bigger box, it is still well below a .5 ft3. It wont handle as much power as the Kicker either but not by much.

The Kicker is designed for mainly SPL but they still sound very good and rival some SQ subs Ive heard.

• audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    The brand is RE and their bottom series is called RE(to clear up any confusion.) So technically is the RE RE12.\
    I just read on another forum that the brand is actually Resonant Engineering, and the line of subs is RE. Never seen their name before, so I thought I'd mention it.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • chrisrud15
    chrisrud15 Posts: 48
    edited February 2006
    RE makes a great sub as does ID. Both of them are not very popular due to the fact that are they are mostly online dealers. It's hard if not impossible to find them in stores. VRX3M: the sub that i have is not an IDQ sub; it's just an ID8 V.3 sub. The IDQ are a little better than the ID sub but for extra $$$. The new IDQ Max subs are supposed to be crazy. If you reconsider about the ID8 V.3 sub , i dont mind because I would want the absolute best as well(but cant afford a 400 dollar sub). I honestly think that the ID8 V.3 would be plenty for you though . I had two 12's in my old reg cab F150 and they sounded pretty well but not really enough air space for 12's. Like the other guys build your own box and put a sub in it and you will appreciate it alot more.

Chris
    HT- CS1, Infinity 12 in. sub, Onkyo receiver, m20's, and m10's

Car- Polk MOMO 6500 components, alpine 2 channel amp, Pioneer HU, Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 in. sub, Diamond Audio amp
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Hey Chris,
    As soon I get some pics, Money Order is on the way :)

ID8 will be more than enough for what I want to use it for. $60 is a nice price too! ;)
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    I just read on another forum that the brand is actually Resonant Engineering, and the line of subs is RE. Never seen their name before, so I thought I'd mention it.
    they were wrong. Their name used to be Resonant Engineering, now theyre just RE
    :o
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    If I ever run a speaker co - my name will be a symbol - beatch.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    ok prince...
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    thats...KING to you. Bow down punk. ;)
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    err...now it's 'formerly known as KING'...:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2006
    I am in the same boat as you are Sid, and I am going to run a Kicker 10" solobaric sub in an enclosure, with a Kicker amp. You can check it out on www.circuitcity.com. That is the probably one of the best sounds you can get for a reg cab truck. I did a demo this weekend in store, and that thing bumped out loud bass right in the sound room, so I can just imagine how it would be in a truck cab!
    I replaced the 4"x6" in dash and rear speaker with Pioneers, and a new JVC mp3/wma head unit. When the funds get right, I wiill be getting the Kicker package from CC or Crutchfield. Just my 2 cents.

Landry
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD