Shure M97xE - $57

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited February 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Saw this on another forum, about 95% of the performance of the legendary V15, at a LOT less $.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/viewproduct.htm?category_id=406711&productId=3772522&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=07-5849154-2

I may go ahead and get 2.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    They always go for that. Here is another place.
    http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=M97XE%20D19451&source=fr
    Why waste twice the money?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I thought they were upwards of $90 regularly.

What concerns me more, is your closing statement - talk to me goose.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The legendary V15 wasn't all that and that last 5% would be the best part of what the V15 was. It's an OK deal for kicks I guess, I just wouldn't stock up. After a few hours of listening you'll be ready to find something more satisfying. Think R15's if that makes any sense.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks Chuck.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2006
    Options
    No matter how scuzzy a thrift, yahdie, or garage sale table is, I always check. Never know when you'll grab a M91, 95, 97, or the biggie. Lots of others from different names too.

About a year and a half ago, my ex-neighbor Dean came down to GIVE me a V15 Type 5. It was brand new in a still plastic-sealed box. Couldn't do it, "we" got him I think $225-250 on the net. Take your wife out to dinner.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yep I have a table sitting in the closet with a Shure V-15 type VMR and an extra stylus. It's been sitting there for about 6-7 years now. I do pull the table out once in awhile for **** and grins. For the level of table I have the Shure is right at home. Maybe I should sell that **** :cool: .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Options
    They just stopped making them, so now is probably as good a time as ever.
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Some idiot on ebay bought one for $700 awhile back, read about it on audio asylum. They were laughing at it.
    madmax

• heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Some idiot on ebay bought one for $700 awhile back, read about it on audio asylum. They were laughing at it.
    madmax

I just read in the Klipsch forum that last week on e-bay a NOS Type III went for $326. Just plain Crazy!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The Type VMR COULD have problems with the stuff they use to hold the stylus onto the cartridge. Becomes brittle with age, und breaken. The others don't have this problem.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Would you veterans consider this cartridge worth considering for my new MMF-2.1? Or is it basically on par with the Goldring Elan that came on it?
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I don't know anything about Goldrings.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Long been out of the cartridge game, can't help you there. Only two I've ever owned were a Grado and the Shure. Then my TT days ended.

H9
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Long been out of the cartridge game, can't help you there. Only two I've ever owned were a Grado and the Shure. Then my TT days ended.

H9

Sounds like there needs to be a revival. :)
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    cmy330go wrote:
    Would you veterans consider this cartridge worth considering for my new MMF-2.1? Or is it basically on par with the Goldring Elan that came on it?
    IMO, No and No... but for $60 you can judge for youself... and if you agree, you can likely recoup $50 or so.

One of the best TT's for the M97xE are the old AR XA's and XB's, right in the tradition of the venerable M-91ED.

V-15 VMR with low hours and a NOS replacement stylus would hit $500 on ebay right now. Hell the cartridge and used stylus might do that on their own. It's crazy all right. I have a sealed V-15 VxMR that I cannot afford to open.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Interesting thread. I pulled mine for kicks, low end I'm sure Audio Technica AT14sa from the early 80's but I found these specs on the web.

Frequency Response..........5Hz to 45kHz
    Output (mV at 5 cm/sec)..........2.7
    Channel Separation (1kHz/10kHz)..........27/20
    Channel Balance (dB)..........1.0
    Stylus Shape..........Shibata
    Stylus Construction..........Nude
    Cantilever..........Tapered
    Tracking Force (grams)..........3/4 - 1 3/4
    Vertical Tracking Angle..........20°
    Recommended Load Impedance (Ohms)..........47,000 (also operates correctly with 100,000 ohm inputs of CD-4 equipment).
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    IMO, the Goldring 1042 at $300 used will kick it's ****.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ^Which ****?

cl,
    I think you've got an old quad cartridge there...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Someones ****, I don't care who's. Somewhere somehow some **** is going to get kicked...
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    As in...
    Somebody's gonna hurt someone, before the night is through...???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    As in...
    Somebody's gonna hurt someone, before the night is through...???

As in... I couldn't come up with a better line. :D
    madmax