Question about airbags

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 2005 Altima. I would like to remove the factory audio but am a bit nervious. My tweeters are in the A-piller now and I would like to use that spot but I also have airbags in the A-piller (side curtain). Circuit city said they won't install there as they would need to turn the airbags off and there is too much liability. Best buy said they have no problem as you just need to diconnect the battery and the airbags shut off after 15 minutes. reconnect the battery and they are back on.

Does anyone know if the guys at BB are correct? I'd love to do the install myself but I need to make sure it is safe first. The guys at CC looked up what they need to do and it involved turning the ignition on for 7 seconds, then off for 3 then back on or something like that to disengage the airbags.

Thanks,

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    i bet you wish you had a key to turn them on and off huh. i cant help you much on this question
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    i've worked around my airbags a bunch of times, no accidents yet :p

honestly, though, the only real way to tell is to call nissan, say 'i have a technical question about the wiring in my altima', and they'll blanch and give you to a tech guy, who shoud be able to at least point you in the right direction

in the meantime, have fun installing :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    yea that sounds like a good idea if you can get a hold of any body at nissan america, go to the dealership and talk to a tech itll probably work out better for you
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    when we do that sort of stuff at the shop, we disconnect do exaclty what best buy said to do, never had a problem
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it