Is there a fix for veneer chips?

Options
Beekyman
Beekyman Posts: 150
edited February 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm looking for a good fix for small chips that occur in the veneer of speakers or audio equipment racks. When I say small, I mean no bigger than .25 inch square. If I had the piece that broke off I would simply glue it back on and be done with it but this is not the case.
If it is wood veneer, I imagine that you should replace the missing area with a matching piece cut to size.
If it is the black veneer commonly seen on speaker cabinets I was thinking that a small amount of a black colored epoxy or filler backed up with a strip of tape until it sets would do the trick.
I also need any tips on how to properly fix a strip of veneer that has pulled up into a small hump at the bottom of my SDA-1C's. The previous owner of these speakers had a small water issue in his house that soaked the carpet the speaker was setting on and this caused the veneer to swell and detatch a bit.
I know that gentle heat from a small iron can be helpful in persuading the veneer to go back and possibly cause the glue to bond again. I wish to approach this cautiously so that I dont create more work for myself in the future if I bungle something!
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance folks!
2 Channel Rig
Source 1 - Apple TV
Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
Post edited by Beekyman on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Irvin,

What color and wood type is the rack? As for the speaker problem, can you push the veneer down with your finger or is it solid under the hump?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks for responding! The chips are from the edges of my black Polk RTi8 speakers and the audio rack (Bell'o) is what I would call "golden oak". The veneer strip on the bottom of the SDA-1Cs can be pushed down but it appears to me that the veneer has expanded and pushing it down would cause other issues. I would be happy to send a photo if that helps, I should have done this from the beginning I suppose! Thanks in advance for the help!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Get my number from Mark and give me a call.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Don't tell him to call me! OH NOOOOOOO!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.