Programmable remotes

Options
caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited February 2006 in Electronics
Hopefully someone here can help me out with a potential remote purchase. I'm looking for a remote that I can program macros on for wife and in law's simplicity. My ideal setup would have 4 main buttons, watch tv, watch dvd, listen to music, etc...

An example macro would need to work something like this:

1. turn on tv
2. turn tv to proper input
3. turn on HK reciever
4. turn HK to proper input
5. turn on dvd or satellite

Steps 1,2,4,5 seem simple enough but step 2 seems to be the toughie. I only use 1 button on the tv or remote to toggle through the inputs. How does the remote know what the current state of that input is?

I've looked at BB and the logitech harmony stood out. Checking out the harmony website they have several offerings in my price range especially if I buy via ebay where prices seem to be really good. Also, the allinone kameleon series of remotes seem to be neat and macro programmable.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm not looking to break the bank with this purchase, preferably keeping it to $100 (may mean ebay purchase).
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• jmoney
    jmoney Posts: 8
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've had the Harmony 659 for just over a year now and I love it. It will easily handle what you need it to do and it is easy enough for anyone to use, even the technologically challenged. It can be had at amazon.com for $95. I highly recommend it.

This is my original mini-review from last year at dvdfile.com.
  • jma9
    jma9 Posts: 12
    edited February 2006
    Options
    get the harmony. i have the 880 and it is awesome. there cheaper remotes are just as nice. logitech has a $50 rebate right now for the 880 and another model. you can find the 880 for $130 with the rebate.