Anyone know...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yeah, another question...

On Crutchfield, it is saying my truck uses a 5.25" speaker...

from what I can tell it is a oval speaker... the grill looks to be like... 4" wide and like 7" tall - I havnt measured or anything, but it does not look like a 5.25" speaker...

Can anyone confirm what a 1991 Ford F150 XLS Lariat uses?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    Also...

Is there an ALL BLACK* Head unit on the market from a respectable brand for 100-200 bucks........ AND - dosnt have some flashy screen, Im looking for a very.... non-eye-catching piece.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    As for HU's...I'm just going to list *nice* HU's at that price point. I don't know of any right off the top of my head that are all black, but you can look through what I list and see if anything looks inconspicuous enough.

Eclipse CD2000. Three sets of 5.0 volt preouts. $200.
    Eclipse CD3000. Nicer and all black, but also $250.
    Alpine CDA-9856. Only has 2.0 volt preouts, which is ridiculous from a company such as Alpine at this price-point, but I listed it anyways.
    Kenwood KDC-MP5032. Three sets of 4.0 volt preouts (not bad) and all black.

The Kenwood might be the best bet based on your asthetic preferences, but I'd go with the Eclipse based purely on performance per dollar. It's just insane that you can get a quality Eclipse HU at $200-250. I would stretch the budget for the CD3000, but you know what you're wanting.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Theyre 4x7 speaker openings. Most 4x7 speakers arent that great or plentiful so most people recommend using 5.25's which can be found all over the place in quality levels from entry level to competition.

Good luck with a head unit. It seems like every head unit out there has some big flashy LCD display! :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2006
    If your concern is theft factor, just get one that's a detachable face and deal with it.

If you want a boring HU, stick with stock.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    I saw a 100 dollar Pioneer on Crutchfield, it was nothing special - but it was very basic looking and didnt draw alot of attention to itself..

Mac, thanks for the info...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Hey Kid. Just get rid of the 4 x 7's in the rear pillars. Thet can be repalced with 5.25's using adaptor plates. You have holes for 6.5's in the doors, too. Check under the panel.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Actually, there are only two speakers, and they are in the door... (4x7)

Thanks for the responses... Just looking at options!
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited February 2006
    have you opened the door panel and actually seen a 4x7? My friend has a Ford truck with 6.5's in the door... maybe his is a later year or something
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2006
    I'm pretty sure they're 6.5's in the front.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2006
    don't settle for the 100 dollar pioneer. It feels like you should have bought it from the dollar general.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    for the $100 range, im partial to kenwood

I would think your front speakers are either 6.5s or 6.8s, ford doesnt put much else in the front doors.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    polk sells some great speakers for 100 dollers too worth looking into i got a pari for 99 dollers! not bad for polk stuff
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    hey sid -- get a kenwood with the "d-mask" flip face -- you can get an excelon with flip face for 200 bucks... will have most of the "system E+'s" too - which is cool.

far as the speakers -- CUT THE HOLES OUT! GET COMPONENTS! DON'T CHICKEN OUT! sounddomain has everything but the kitchen sink on sale.

my 88's getting 5.25's in kick panels (that i have yet to make)... and, just for nostalgia sake, 6x9's in a single enclosure behind hte seat which will also hold the amplifiers, crossover, and the sub.

it's not going to look nearly as good as what i can do, but its by design... i'm trying to replicate my first system (in appearance, not in sound -- i've ocme a long way - lol).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    hey sid -- get a kenwood with the "d-mask" flip face
    theres a reason why they stopped making those
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it