Chicago Auto Show

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I know there are quite a few guys in the Chicago area, but I was wondering if any of ya'll have made plans to go to the Auto Show?

I'm wanting to go, but I'm going to be out of town from the 6th to the 14th.

Any of y'all planning on it?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    I wont be able to make it. All my travelling plans (money,time off) are reserved for competitions this year. Id like to go tho, Ive never been to an auto show that big.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    would i like to? definitely, since i missed detroit... call it 50/50 for me...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    edited February 2006
    Where do you live neo?
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    i live in dayton, oh, but i go to school in pittsburgh, pa

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    edited February 2006
    What's "MoN" stand for then?
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited February 2006
    middle of nowhere?
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Pretty much. If Im not mistaken he lives in Ohio.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    hellohello wrote:
    middle of nowhere?
    holy mother of tim... i've had that location up there for nigh on two years, and the first person to guess gets it right?!?!

dayum... and yes, it does stand for middle of nowhere, because i used to live out in the boonies... i feel that i can lay MoN to rest now...

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    i wiwsh i could go to the show but work scheduale wont allow it
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited February 2006
    yay! i got it right! WOOOO go me!
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    Ma Mopar owns you ****...

rear-quarter.jpg

only thing you're going to drool over at any auto show is below...

1- Chrysler Firepower (2008 release) ... it's a viper chassis and body (with a LOT of chrome on it), 6.1 Hemi drivetrain with an automatic. it appeals to the classier older people who want a viper but want something less sport looking and more classy looking. interior is all light tan with chrysler logos... antique style gauges... very pretty. also gets great gas mileage and is easier for older / family folks to drive with an automatic.

click here for Firepower pictures... http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/firepower.html

2- Dodge Challenger (2007 / 2008 release) ... it's a dead on ringer for the old 70 charger... in fact, put the two side by side, stand 50 feet back, and you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. New one will have a 6.4 L hemi (390 something cubic inches) @ around 505 horse / torque. It's a 2 door folks! woo hoo! supposedly colors will include but may not be limited to: hemi orange (aka the Duke Boys) and the classic Grabber Green!

click here for challenger pictures ... http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

3- Chrysler Imperial ... ahhh a return to luxury. Boat-like, much like its predecessor Imperials, the new land-yacht is an animal... apparently just about everything Chrysler is going to be Hemi-powered (whether 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, or 6.9) in the near future. ARGH ARGH ARGH - god bless the return of the big block! (in reference to the 6.9 -- the largest displacement motor in many many ears, at 422 CID ... I would say that if it coems out, it'll be the first big block in 20 years.

Imperial pictures -- > http://www.allpar.com/cars/ly/imperial.html

4- 2008 Viper concept ... viper isn't being built for 07 - they're skipping a year to retool for the new model. total redesign. engine options include but are not limited to... I'm a bit surprised that Vipers to date have used a Dana 44 (obviously a newer refined version, but still a 44), which, to me, is a "lower power" rear end. I would have expected something like a 60 out back, or a Chrysler Corporate 11", although CC's rear ends aren't really that great... they're allright, but they're not Danas or - dare I say it - Fords. We may see a modified 60 in the 08 model.

a) two 4.0L jeep 6 bangers joined by nothing short of jeep's patented liquid coupling technology (forget a gear tooth and a chain!).

b) 6.9 L Hemi (still on the drawing board... the 6.4 has been built as a race engine for possible insertion into production cars, but the 6.9 - 422 cubic inch hemi [close to the historic 426 size] is still only a possibility).

c) 12 cylinder Chrysler Skunk Works modifed Mercedes ME412 Motor... 850 horses.

I'm a little sickened by the fate of the ME412... Skunkworks (Chrysler's equivelent to Ford's SVT team) sits out in the middle of no where, in some friggin desert, building wacky stuff like the SRT-10 pickup design we've been privvy to thelast 2 years. They're smart ****... and they've got pride in their company and the "American will to kick ****".

The car is completely skunkworks designed - american designed - with only ONE Mercedes part --- the motor... they took a stock (well, it was going to be stock in the new SLR McLaren) V12, hopped it up, and got 850 horse outa it. They built their own tranny from scratch, and used off the shelf mopar performance parts (viper parts, SRT parts, other goodies, and easy to get parts from american performance name brands).

It went faster than the McLaren SLR... and the cost of the car would be less than half of the SLR. So, you ask, "why buy an SLR, when I can get an ME412 that goes faster, looks pretty much the same, is cheaper, and is designed and built in the USA with american parts???"

Ya, Mercedes asked themselves the same question... so they cancelled the project. Ma Mopar Skunkworks was PISSSSSSEEEED. Fast forward 2 years... DCX Mercedes big wigs got the boot.... good ol' Dieter (Mercedes executive who's partial to american cars and might as well be the closest thing we have to Lee Iacocca now a days) is promoted... ME412 is back on the table... 30 have been built as prototypes.... all tweaked a little different... no one knows where they are... but sure as ****, it'll get built some day - I hope.

I like this quote...

" The SLR McLaren is the top of the Mercedes [sport] line.. they've spent millions on it.. and they've spent years on it.. it represents the best of anything Mercedes.

Enter the ME-412.. they took a Mercedes engine.. took it to Mercedes tuner... they spent a year.. and outdid the SLR McLaren..

Chrysler can do in 12 months what it takes Mercedes years.. and not only can it do that, it can do that with their parts for less and better to boot!"
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2006
    ^^ZZZZZZZZ^^ :D

Anyway. Yea I'm going! My friends and I are going to be there this Thursday (16th)! This is our second annual trip. I'm looking to make it a long time tradition.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • brettw22
    edited February 2006
    Anyone wanting to meet up for this?
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Id love to dude but Im blowing all my money on going to these competitons. Even tho Chattanooga is centrally located between Atlanta, Knoxville, Birmingham and Nashville they have ZERO shows here so Im having to drive all over the place. I gotta go to Louisville the 25th and 26th for one and I figure Ill be dropping $200 for that.

Would be fun, Ive never been to a major auto show and Id love to see Chicago. I saw it whilst I was a truck driver but only from the inside of a truck which aint so great.

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Anyone wanting to meet up for this?

Do you know what day you are going yet? Like I said before we will be there on Thursday. However I'm going to be in town with 7 other friends but I'm not sure how many plan on coming to the auto show. So depending on how many of them decide to come I might be able to meet up. The fewer the better. :D

EDIT: Any good HiFi shops you would recommend Brett? I've been to Music Direct before...that was pretty cool, but not exactly a good showroom. :rolleyes:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Would be fun, Ive never been to a major auto show

MacLeod - You should go to the one in Atlanta. I went last year and it was in mid April. It should be around the same time this year. It's a day trip for you from Chattanooga. I think it would be worth the trip. Here are some pics I took....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    I didnt even know we had one in Atlanta!

Hell yeah, Ill definitely check that out next year.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    I didnt even know we had one in Atlanta!

Hell yeah, Ill definitely check that out next year.

How about this year...say in about 2 months....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson