Question bout Subs

chevyboy_0
chevyboy_0 Posts: 7
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi there

I've got a 1970 Chevelle SS w/ DB650s in front and DB690s in the back and was looking for a sub setup that will not be too expensive but still able to hear.

but keep in mind I DON'T listen to Rap or hip hop. Only Metal,Hardcore and Classic Rock so mids and Highs are a little higher in the pecking order
Post edited by chevyboy_0 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    a sub can do surprising things to the sound of those genres... what kind of budget do you have? what other equipment do you have?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • chevyboy_0
    chevyboy_0 Posts: 7
    edited February 2006
    right now my budget is nil I am planning on this later down the Road. I don't have a headunit but am looking into a SOny or Pioneer
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    First off, run from Sony car audio equipment. Look at Eclipse, Kenwood, Pioneer Premier, and Alpine, in that order. (Kenwood and Pioneer Premier are pretty equal on a quality/price level, I just like the Kenwoods better.) Get a HU with 3 sets of preouts, pushing at least 3.0 volts. You should be able to get something like that for around $250.

This Eclipse CD2000 would be a good choice. It has 5.0 volt preouts and a flip down screen, both things not normally found on a $200 HU. This Alpine CDA-9851 would be acceptable, but the preouts are only 2.0 volts, so I wouldn't really consider it. This Kenwood KDC-MP5032 is $200 and has 4.0 volt preouts and a wireless remote. Sad to say, after looking at Pioneer's offerings, I wouldn't suggest any of their HU's at this price-point. I would go with the Eclipse; I'm astounded that they have a HU that cheap, and it has good specs! The Kenwood wouldn't be far behind, though.

As for a sub, get a 10" or 12" PolkMOMO. It'll be fast and accurate, and give you enough volume.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • G-force
    G-force Posts: 82
    edited February 2006
    Look into the lower end line of Image Dynamics for very musical subwoofers.

Image Dynamics
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    That's a good place to look. You may also want to consider Sound Splinter. 1996blackmax has one and raves about it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520