'Fuzzy sounding" CD changer

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
My sister is complaining about her CD's suddenly sounding 'fuzzy' and having to turn the HU up higher to be able to hear anything. I've not personally heard it, but she said it's like a white noise that is the same volume level as the music. Turning up the volume doesn't make it sound clearer, but the music (and white noise) is quieter at a given volume level than before, so she has to turn it up higher to achieve the same loudness.

Her setup is in a mid-90's (I'm emberassed I can't remember what year) Camry. It's a JVC cassette deck up front hooked to a JVC CD changer in the trunk (6 disc, I beleive). She got this installed the middle of 2003, so it's not new.

She initially thought the changer assembly was dirty, but I told her that, if that were the case, it would be skipping or flat out not playing, not sounding 'fuzzy'. Is that true? I thought it could be a loose speaker wire or even a blown speaker, but she says that it sounds fine when she's playing the radio. So, I'm down to thinking it could be a loose connection from the changer to the HU. Does that sound reasonable? I'm fixing to go out and look at it and see what I can see, but I won't be able to look at the back of the HU - I'll just be able to see the connection at the changer.

If the changer were going bad, would it sound 'fuzzy' like this?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

audiobliss
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    I just went out and checked it out. The HU is a KS-FX210, and the changer is a CH-X470. The connection at the changer is just fine. It simply plugs into the side. I unplugged it and it seems to be fine. I also took out the magazine and everything looks clean enough inside.

I listened to it a bit, too. It's a lot worse than I was expecting. You can hardly hear anything, and the white noise is very pronounced. It really sounds like a blown speaker, and that's what I'd think the problem is except for the fact that they all sound like that (I played with the fade and balance) and it sounds fine when listening to the radio.

Any ideas?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    well, if it's not the HU or speakers etc., and it's not the cable, it must be the changer... possibly going bad, possibly dirty... perhaps loading one of those 'cleaning' cds would help... it's less expensive than a new changer, in any case...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2006
    Does the changer plug into the cassette using a cartridge adapter, if so, remove it and gently clean the heads on the adapter and the cassette player. then reinsert it. Deoxit or alcohol on a Qtip will work.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    The changer is connected to the back of the HU, as the HU is designed to control a changer. I was not able to look at the back of the HU, so I don't know what the connection back there looks like.

Why would the laser assembly being dirty make it sound 'fuzzy'? From my perspective, being dirty would interfer with the laser reading the disc, thus preventing it from reading certain parts, not make it 'misread' the disc and sound 'fuzzy'. Is that wrong? I mean, either the laser picks up a 0 or a 1 or it doesn't read anything. There's no '1/2'.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    There's no '1/2'.
    tell that to the people that think cables make a difference for digital audio transmission...

and as far as being 'fuzzy', if the laser only picks up an average of every other bit, i believe that that would average out to remove 10 kHz+ frequencies... this is sorta a guess, but if your laser is lightly dirty and it's not reading properly even 1/10 times, that could easily mess up the higher frequency info... the white noise confuses me, and makes me think that this isn't the issue, but i have no other ideas...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    mine isnt even hooked up yet
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    Like I said earlier, it sounds just like the speakers are all blown. You have to really turn it up to get any appreciable volume out of them, and their 'fuzziness' and the 'white noise' sound just like the old Sony bookshelf speakers I used to have sounded when I blew them. It's more of the music being broken up and hazy, than an extra white noise. But, this 'fuzzy' sound, as best as I can remember, is in all the frequencies.

Color me confused.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2006
    If the radio sounds OK but CD output is distorted, it may be something on the printed circuit board in the H/U that has gone bad. If am/fm sounds fine, the pre-amp circuits are probably undamaged. While I'm not familiar with the model JVC H/U you are referring to, if it has a built-in CD or even tape section in the H/U (outside of the external changer), then this would likely show the same distortion as well if it were a bad internal circuit. If this is fine, it may be a problem with where the changer cable connects to the circuit board inside the H/U (or even just corrosion on the connection at rear of unit).

I have had older equipment fail in this manner, and given the cost of repair vs a new H/U it's not worth fixing (unless you have the schematic and a lot of time on your hands). Printed circuits usually heat up, expand, and then give you an intermittant break in the problem circuit before failing for good. If the problem happened all at once, it could still be a physical break somewhere in the circuit board causing the problem.

Connections on the back of the H/U would be the first suspect. Swapping in another H/U that uses the same type of changer cable may answer the question.