Sounds for a Chevy truck

landry_p2000
landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just purchased a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne pick-up truck, and the radio is D.O.A. I got a JVC cd/mp3/wma player with remote control from Crutchfield, which I will install today. My next upgrade is to get 4"x6" speakers for the dash and rear wall. I know these speakers won't give me a full range of sound. So, my question is; what can I put in the truck to give me a decent low end. I don't want to shake the city or anything like that, just add a little bass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Landry
Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
Post edited by landry_p2000 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    guess what kimosabi?

you have stock 6 1/2 inch speaker holes in the doors.

they may not be occupied with speakers, but they're there...

Personally, depending on your budget, I think it would be a good idea to get a component set, put the 6 1/2 mid in teh door, the tweeter in the dash location (you'll hav to make a little plate to hold it) or even in the door just below the window sill, and then snag an 8 or 10" sub for behind the seat... 150 watts would be plenty.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    As a first step, seeing as how you bought your HU from Crutchfield and haven't installed it yet, send it back. Look at something from Eclipse, Pioneer Premier, Alpine, or Kenwood. Of course, if you'd rather not...it's your stereo. But those are generally the better HU's.

I'm not sure about your particular truck, but if PBD is right (and I have no reason to doubt him), then I would go with some 6.5" components. Perhaps the Polk db6500, assuming you're wanting to piece something together in a smaller budget. If not, then the MMC6500 set would be awesome.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • landry_p2000
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the replys guys. What name brand of sub would be good? I was thinking JLAudio, Polk, or maybe Kicker or MTX. I can do the 6 1/2" component door speakers with no problem. In my old car, I mounted the tweets behind the sideview mirrors.

I personally have had no problems with JVC head units at all. This is just something to get around on.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    JVC is a good budget deck... I've had decent success with them in the past... they're middle to high level stuff is respectable. They're low end units are kinda **** though - but then again, everybody's low end stuff is ****... even Alpine and others...

ok... what brand sub -- well I'm partial to Polk / Mtx / Image Dynamics... lets get you set up here -- I'm gonna go on Sounddomain and match you up an amplifier and a sub (amp will drive components and the sub)...back momentarily.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    booya -- 350 bucks... gets you power wire, amp to push the front components and the sub... the comps, the sub, cable, and rca's... whole shot.

of course if you want to spend more money, then by all means go get a set of polk DB 6 1/2 comps and a DB 10" sub....

but i figured its an older truck, u wanna keep it cheap but decent soundign... so i went with Pioneer gear...

did shopping cart at www.sounddomain.com/shop

PS --- its cheap becuase its on clearance... there's about 600 bucks worth of stuff there.
    x.jpg 52.2K
  • landry_p2000
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the link PBD. I like the Pioneer gear, and have had good luck with it in the past as well. The JVC I got is model number KD-G320 cd/mp3/wma player, and I think it will serve it's purpose. You car stereo guys are helpful. :D
    I like that idea with a single sub behind the seat, and will get started on it soon.

Thanks again,

Landry

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with JVC head untis. Theyre just as good as anything on the market.

As for speakers, grab a set of Polk DB components. Theyll cost more but you know all to well that you get what you pay for especially in audio. Second, grab a Polk DB104 and build a sealed box to fit behind your seat. Or you could purchase one of the many premade truck boxes.

Other than that, Vinny's picks are dead on. You cant beat that Orion amp anywhere. Thats a $350 amp for $150!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    this guy needs a sale... lol. i remember when the EXIII stuff was "goin out" -- it was so sick cheap it was crazy.

Theres days I wish I just bought up a whole truckload of good equipment on closeout and hung onto it until people I knew needed it.

The pioneer stuff won't hold a candle to the polk... but at 150 for the sub and the comp set, it's not a bad "performance for dollar" deal. I do agree with Mac that if you can get ahold of some DB stuff within your budget then by all means do so. Even if you can find some old EX 3 stuff on ebay new in box.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    I have a 98 cheyenne..
    I put polk ex (?) component 6.5`s in the doors and the 4x6`s in the rear pillars with two 10`s behind the seat with truck box`s...not a butt load of power from the Kenwood amps , but enough for now, and an Alpine deck....works for me

I`m upgrading it all soon, but have run this setup for a coule years and I have no complaints whatso ever
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    beardog -- try taking the 4x6's out of the rear pillars and instead putting them in teh dash... use teh fader on the cd player to blend the door speakers with the dash speakers...

it'll blow your mind when you start to hear what you're creating.... a crisp, well placed sound stage.... i love dash speakers :)
  • beardog03
    edited February 2006
    where in the dash..?
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    crap --- i thought maybe chevy kept the same dash, but obviously not -- i looked on crutchfield and while the 80's have dash holes for 4x6's the 90's don't.... sorry bout that.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    they stopped putting them in the dash around 95
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • landry_p2000
    edited February 2006
    I will look into the Polks tonight. Got the head unit in with no problem last night. Funny thing is, the damn speakers were all gone! I am currently listening to one damn speaker, and it sucks. I may do a quick pick up on some Pioneer speakers from Wal-Mart to hold me over for now. I plan on going a little further when the funds get right. Just bought a 15" lcd tv for the old lady, a new pistola, and the truck. My pockets are done for. I can live with four low end speakers for now, I guess. Maybe sometime around March or April I will get an upgrade.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    THERE IS NO REASON TO BUY JUNK WHEN IKESOUND IS IN BUSINESS!!

Phoenix Gold 6 1/2 component set @ $40
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3857
    ... they're on closeout - regular 150

Power wire, ground wire, ring terminals, and fuse holder, 8 gauge --- $10
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3367

12 foot RCA's --- you'll need two of these.... $5 x 2 = $10
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3888

Orion 4004 4 channel amp (same as the last one I suggested)... $75
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2448
    does 50 x 2 to the front and 200 x 1 to a sub.

Kicker Comp 12" sub... $39
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3305
    ... you save 80 bucks :)

TOTAL COST = $174 ... all you need to do is wait a week for it to get to your house and then make a little box for the sub.

Just for anyone who wants to know -- a 1,000 dollar PPI amp (old school) 2200 watt is available for $150

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1805
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    ps --- your deck has got 2 RCA-preout sets right? (4 little RCA jacks on the back) ... if not, then just get one set of RCA's and use Y-splitters into the amp.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Go Polk. Please.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • beardog03
    edited February 2006
    PBD..

That is amazing prices for a startup system..

No Kraco and flea market stuff...

175.00...cool !
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    Kicker comp subs are known for good sound quality... the amp is straight up good stuff... the cables leave something to be desired, but with low power levels ... who cares... and the phoenix gold components are good... not great... but good.

i'm mr. bargain hunter..lol....

and AudioBliss... if he went polk he'd be spending 300 - 350 dollars more. That is not a reasonable request to make of him when he wants a budget system.

FYI --- Ike is a "closeout distributor" of sorts... he does not compete for new product sales the majority of the time. MFG warranties are void... he states that on the site... everything has a 1 year replacement warranty through Ike.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Yup, and dont be suprised if you get some Sparkomatic crap with the name scratched out with a Sharpie and Phoenix Gold written in its place!

And beware of dash speakers. Bouncing signals off the windshield can cause all kinds of havoc with your SQ. Something along the lines of hearing different frequencies from different parts of the truck. Say a chick hits a high note, while her normal voice is in front of you, the high note appears off to the left.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    ive dealed with ikesound a couple times, never had a problem
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yup, and dont be suprised if you get some Sparkomatic crap with the name scratched out with a Sharpie and Phoenix Gold written in its place!

And beware of dash speakers. Bouncing signals off the windshield can cause all kinds of havoc with your SQ. Something along the lines of hearing different frequencies from different parts of the truck. Say a chick hits a high note, while her normal voice is in front of you, the high note appears off to the left.

I've dealt with Ike on my occasions... they are very very very reputable.

Once in a while the picture doesn't match the product and you have to go by the MODEL NUMBER... but that's not a problem, because I always go there looking for something specific.

They are extremely reliable, extremely good, and very honest (if it gets broke in shipping, they'll take care of it... they're cool about returns too so long as you dont go ripping everything apart).

Ike is a first class online shop --- I wish every other online "small shop" was like them.

I'd tell you something else about them, but I'm not saying it here... I just sent you an email about something, but keep thyne mouth shut. :) Thou shalt not speaketh of it.

PS --- I like my dash speakerS!!!!! pthththththt :p
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    i like my dash speakers, they're firing about as straight into the windshield as i can get them... i do hear the separation of voice, though, on occasion, but very careful aiming has mostly rectified that...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    i have a little too much channel separation - or should i say localization... you want separation, but localization sucks. you want it to sound like its coming off the center of the hood. i'm still workin on it all -- i'm probably going to have to tri-amp before i'm "done".
  • landry_p2000
    edited March 2006
    BUMP

PBD, I went with a Kicker model TC10 300w 10" single ported sub that will fit perfectly behind my seat. I also got a cheapie amp called a VR3 4.0. It is rated at 400w.
    As for the speakers, I went with 4 Pioneer 4"x6", 2 in the dash and 2 in the side panels. I got crisp sound from the speakers so far. I will hook up the amp an sub tommorrow, and give a report to let you know something. Thanks again for the help and ideas. By the way, I almost brought a Bazooka bass tube.
    I am not trying to shake the ground or anything, just need a little push on the low end. I will most likely upgrade to a better amp later on.

• landry_p2000
    edited March 2006
    Got all hooked up by myself, and the sound is very loud and clear. I am very happy with it, and it also turned a few heads this weekend. That Kicker truck box is a beast. If there are any of you guys looking for sounds to install in a regular cab truck, look no further.

That VR3 400w amp doesn't even get hot even after listening at high volumes for 30-45 minutes, it was only warm to the touch. Sid if you are still looking for sounds for your truck, look into the kicker line if you can. I promise that you will be satisfied with it.

• jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the replys guys. What name brand of sub would be good? I was thinking JLAudio, Polk, or maybe Kicker or MTX. I can do the 6 1/2" component door speakers with no problem. In my old car, I mounted the tweets behind the sideview mirrors.

I personally have had no problems with JVC head units at all. This is just something to get around on.
    Best bang for your buck would be a an Alpine type R ten inch sub...it's a little power hungry (500rms) but man if you can put even 300-350rms to this baby you'll be tickled with it...also the type R calls for a nice small box to fit under the back seat of your truck...factory specs call for .5 - .8 cubic feet...a little unbelievable i know but i'm running 2 under the seat in my 2004 chevy in boxes .65 each and dude...they totally rock. They retail for 300 new here in canada but most places will sell em for $250...which is pretty reasonable.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • landry_p2000
    edited March 2006
    Best bang for your buck would be a an Alpine type R ten inch sub...it's a little power hungry (500rms) but man if you can put even 300-350rms to this baby you'll be tickled with it...also the type R calls for a nice small box to fit under the back seat of your truck...factory specs call for .5 - .8 cubic feet...a little unbelievable i know but i'm running 2 under the seat in my 2004 chevy in boxes .65 each and dude...they totally rock. They retail for 300 new here in canada but most places will sell em for $250...which is pretty reasonable.

For $149 that 10" 300w Kicker is pounding like a gorilla. I like Alpine also, but the Kicker is a plenty for me. This one 10" sub sounds like two 10s. You have to hear it to believe it. Another plus is that the Kicker has its own pre-fitted enclosure designed for a regular cab truck.