Good deal on PS Audio power cords

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,804
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Audio Advisor is having a trade in sale on the fantastic PS Audio Statement power cords. You buy at full price, send back ANY power cord and they refund half the purchase price. This one is a no brainer folks.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PSASTPC1&loc=4
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited January 2006
    Options
    How does a $400.00 power cable sound better than stock? You still have cheap romex going to the breaker box.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well Jeff, you heard my set up. Granted, the dedicated 20 amp line run with high quality 10 gauge wire didn't hurt either. A high end pc will filter out RF and EMI that a stock cord can't and seeing as this one is 6 gauge, it doesn't act as a choke like a stock 18 gauge pc will.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited January 2006
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    How does a $400.00 power cable sound better than stock? You still have cheap romex going to the breaker box.

I'm not sure about a $400. cord, but I can tell you the $60.00 PS Power Punch that came with my CD player made a hudge improvement. I used the standard round computer type cord that was packed with the player at first because the PS cord required a big hole being drilled through the back of my cabinet and I was to lazy to remove all the equpt. and drill. But when I did it was shocking to say the least
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Even with the trade in they are overpriced.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:

Yep.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:

Bah, humbug to you too.

For those that may think like Doro and Early, this would be a great chance to try it for yourself, you know, form your own opinion from actually using it in your system before passing judgement. At these prices you aren't going to lose money reselling it, that's for sure.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Are you guys against good power cords in general or just those particular PS Audio cables?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2006
    Options
    A power cord ain't that complicated. Personally, (and I've been known to be wrong) I just can't believe a $400 PC is any better than a $100 PC.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Seriously... when can a power cable EVER be worth $450? or even $225???

I can think of a lot better ways to spend that money... and if you can't, I think you can just send it directly to me and I'll use it in better ways, for you.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited January 2006
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    A power cord ain't that complicated. Personally, (and I've been known to be wrong) I just can't believe a $400 PC is any better than a $100 PC.

It is, in my opinion. But the cost for Statement power cords is too high at full retail to be justifiable for me to use except from power conditioner to wall. I use one from a PS Audio Power Director 4.7 to the wall, and use Plus and Preludes on everything else in my home theater system. The differences between using stock to DIY type to PS Audio products were substantial. The best performance per dollar is probably the Plus if paying full retail (I don't). The Preludes aren't much more expensive than offerings from DIY design companies, but I've found the build quality to be much superior with the PS Audio products.

If anyone gets a Statement cord, I'd suggest at least a 1.5 meter length. The cords are very thick and inflexible, and anything shorter than 1.5 meters causes routing problems. The cord design causes it to stick out pretty far from the wall socket too.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Nm...
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited January 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Are you guys against good power cords in general or just those particular PS Audio cables?
    madmax

This was a serious question. I was considering the PS power cords unless someone thinks there is something wrong with them. Is it the PS cords or the idea of power cords making a difference in general?
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with PS power cords, if there was I wouldn't have posted the info. In addition to a well built cord these guys went to the trouble to make both ends bulletproof and unlike any other on the market at any price. I use them and highly recommend them.

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    This was a serious question. I was considering the PS power cords unless someone thinks there is something wrong with them. Is it the PS cords or the idea of power cords making a difference in general?
    madmax
    I use Zu PC's as well as the Signal Cable MagicStrip I just think that there's a point of diminishing returns price-wise. Nothing against PS, they probably make great stuff and that's probably a pretty good deal if you don't mind spending the bucks. The description sounds like they've put a lot of thought into it.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yep, that is a "no-brainer".
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I love upgraded PC's but large gauge copper is all I'll pay for...the rest is just fluff. I found ZERO difference in using PS Audio products in this application over my Signal Cable. The Humbuster is a nice product, actually worked and is more reasonably priced, but I sent that back as well.

If F1 says he believes in PS Audio, I believe him. He's educated enough to know that he found them to be a benefit in his rig and they are built very well.
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I just purchased an engine kit for a smallblock chevy,it came with everything,pistons,cam...I mean everything...$324 before shipping.$400 for a cable...WOW!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    It does however lean toward the audio 'voodoo and doodoo' section for me.

Cheers,
    Russ

.. :) ..
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited February 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with PS power cords, if there was I wouldn't have posted the info. In addition to a well built cord these guys went to the trouble to make both ends bulletproof and unlike any other on the market at any price. I use them and highly recommend them.
    I certainly do not doubt their quality,just out of my price range for a power cord
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    You have a power source in your wall, how you want to tap into it is up to you.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    madmax

Yes, I'm against ALL power cords. I'm heading home tonight and throwing them all in the trash!
    No excuses!
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I know I am always pushing Raymond Cables but I really like them.
    I believe cables make a difference but I also believe in diminishing returns therefore when the time came for new power cords I went with these.
    Raymond Cable Stainless theater power cords.
    For the money I think they can't be beat. He will also make any length you want.
    I just ordered 2 more and got both 4.5' long stainless wrapped cords for $158.00+/- shipped.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    madmax

I use a PS Audio Prelude on my Jolida and it works great. Very high quality and I recommend then without hesitation. I just think spending $200+ on a power cord is too much dough. Hell, I only paid $200 for my Monster 3600 power center, so I ain't gonna pay the same amount for a freakin' cord that plugs into it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    OK, here is proof that they are worth it:

"Improvements in openness are stunning. The top end of your AV setup will come alive in a way you never thought possible. The noise floor is dramatically decreased, while the slam and impact of the bass are substantially improved"

Straight from AA...

madmax

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I think AA has nicer looking models than MusicDirect, so that seals the deal for me.

Actually, F1 made folks aware of 50% off deal, thanks Jesse!!! Buy what you want.

RT1
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hearing is believing! I say before anyone poos on these cords they should try them. I haven't, but I'd like to keep and open mind. Buy two, one moderately priced and one more reasonably priced. Try them in your system and see if you like what you hear. Don't forget to check the return policy. I'm sustect of any company that won't fully refund your money. Especially cables, any kind.

Thanks for the heads up Jesse!

Thanks to the contributors too! Good discussion.
    Carl

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up Jesse! I have a 2M on order for the phono pre. (or somewhere else if it sounds better there). :)
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Just received my order today, burning in as we speak. Nothing stunning to report as I already have a number of them and am quite familiar with their characteristics. I did forget to mention AA offers free shipping with the deal too.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've been meaning to order some from my local dealer, cool.

What are you sending back? A grunt stock IEC?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    Options
    That`s what I would do..

send back el cheapo, and get el good-o
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool: