Amp Power question

Options
JLHunter18
JLHunter18 Posts: 5
edited May 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a questions about amps in general...

If I get an amp that is rated 250 RMS x 1 at 4 ohms, and 500 RMS x1 at 2 ohms, then hook up two 4 ohm subs in parallel, will it give me 500 watts per sub, or only the 250?

And... do you think a cap would be necessary? If so what size cap?
Post edited by JLHunter18 on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2002
    Options
    you would be getting 250 per sub at the 2ohm rating..and a no. you dont need a cap! If you have to have one for show - go ahead and get one..but you 'd be better off spending that money somewhere else in the system!

good luck..:cool:
  • JLHunter18
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Alright thanks for that reply, but heres another question...

Since its 250 per sub at 2 ohms, if I get two DVC subs and run each sub in series, and then run both subs in parallel to get a 2 ohm load would each Coil recieve 250 watts?

here is a link to Crutchfield, it is the amp I think I'm getting, and the one I am talking about. Do you have any opinions about it?

Click here to go to the amp on Crutchfield

Thanks alot for any help
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2002
    Options
    each sub would get 250 no matter what...you cant get any more power than what the amp will max.. so each coil will get 125
  • JLHunter18
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Ok thanks alot, wish I could be right but oh well.

What do you think about that amp though?...should I get it? Have you heard anything positive or negative about it?

And that amp is for a friend of mine...I have two GNX104's, what size amp do you think would be best for a bandpass enclosure, because I have a small Jensen amp right now and am looking to getting a new one soon. Do you have any in mind?

Oh and I built my box and it sounds good, thank god I built it to the right volumes, and now I was thinking of putting Mirror on the inside. would that work fine?, or should I just use something easier?

thanks, Jonny
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Lots of questions :0)

well first..that Alpine amp is pretty sweet..I was looking at it on the net earlier today... Alpine makes a pretty tough amp and should run the subs just fine...

as far as an amp for you..wht kind of budget..that Alpine amp would work fine for you also. It will probably put out more than 500w
    you are pretty much stuck with an amp rated at 2ohms.. MMats has some great amps for such purpose too...

you can put a mirror if you like...but remember that will take up some displacement... really depending on how big of mirror you use. Personaly..I'm not a fan of banpass boxes...I've always been an SQ person and used sealed boxes..but thats just my opinion.
    you mention "or something easier"? i Did not fully understand..easier than a mirror or ???

good luck..Thomas
    :cool:
  • JLHunter18
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Ok, do you think that the amp a step below the Alpine amp we were talking about earlier would power my subs good?...

The MRD-M300 amp...its says it is 150 w RMSx1 at 4 ohms, and 300 RMSx1 at two ohms...so 150 per sub. would that run them good?... and then I was thinking of using the amp I have now to power two 6x9's in the back. I was thinking of getting the EX369 series and putting them in some 6x9 boxes that they sell everywhere. do you think that would work fine? and are they good speakers?

To answer the question about "or something easier?" for a mirror...a friend of mine said something about putting Dynamat Extreme on the inside...I think that would look pretty good, and would it help the sound at all?
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The MRD- M300 would probably work for you but I would recommend the M500 (or another amp with that power) if at all possible. We've done quite a few systems using Alpine amps and used to run a pair of MM120's off an MRV- T757 in quite a few systems (like the red trucks with (4) 757's and (8) MM120's) and the systems work, but I've been happier when we run a 757 to one MM120 instead (like the yellow Escape with (2) 757's and (2) MM120's). The extra power is nice to have.

As far as the mirror, displacement shouldn't be much of a concern since it would be so thin (1/16"), you can also use a plexi mirror. As far as the Dynamat Extreme- it won't work at all like a mirror, but you might like the look of it. I doubt it'll change the sound of the box.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I just wanna throw in that Alpine amps sound excellent, one of the best amps out there. But all the new ones are all digital. They are a coplete pain to try to adjust and get the way you want them to sound. I have the MRV-1507 on two MM100's and really couldn't be happier with the sound. So I'm not knocking Alpine at all. If you dont' mind dealing with all the crap, go for it. I also heard that it's a good idea to buy the remote for it because it makes it easier to tune it in, but that costs even more money.

Gimme my knobs and switches over that anyday!
    "The Big C"