North Creek Loudspeakers

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited January 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Anyone ever owned or heard any North Creek speakers? www.northcreekmusic.com

Most of the speakers appear to come in kit form. The website has some intriguing info and the owner has an interesting background. They design their speakers mainly by ear instead of relying heavily on computer simulations. Is it "better" to rely on the designer's ear? What if his concept of good sound differs from yours?

The website also talks about how the Thiel-Small parameters and other measurements audio manufacturers provide for their products are often way off the mark and measured under "ideal" (hence, unrealistic) circumstances, so designing crossovers mainly via computer is inherently flawed.

Just gotta wonder if we're really talking "best of the best" when it comes to their speakers.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,081
    edited January 2006
    Options
    "What if his concept of good sound differs from yours? "

Yeah... what if. ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2006
    Options
    it a speaker that has to be listenned to to be judged, just like any other speaker I suppose. I dont think computer design, or this guy's ear would change the fact that my ear has to like it. that Thuder sub design looked cool. allways wanted to give a passice sub a whirl DIY wise. might keep this one in mind. not anytime soon though, other things on the audio plate
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I've used their components, caps & inductors, to rebuild a few crossovers, but never heard a loudspeaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That speaker on their main page reminds me of the Salk Veracity speakers for some reason. I dont know if its the drivers being used or the nice veneer.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound