Installed polyswitches in my SDA SRS

Options
autoconsortium
autoconsortium Posts: 64
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Not until tonight have I experienced what these speakers can really do. Prior to changing these out, my speakers were cutting out far before their peformance level. For reference sake, I have two 800watt monoblock Lexicon amplifiers (the ground plugs are strapped and it has worked perfectly for months now). With the new polyswitches, I am able to turn my volume knob up about 25% more (these polks really come alive with big class A wattage!), with absolutely zero distortion or amplifier clipping. I'm not sure why, but with the old polyswitch's...my amplifiers would clip at low volumes...is there a reason for this? Now, my amps don't clip, and the fabulous Polk SDA SRS's sound like I expected a speaker of this caliber to sound when I got them. I have gone through two upgrades(repairs) so far...and these speakers just keep getting better and better (I replaced all 8 tweeters with the ones). I've heard plenty of expensive speakers, and these are my favorites. We are lucky to have them.
Alex Cagann

Polk SDA SRS
Lexicon DC-1 preamp
(2) Lexicon 501 monoblock amps
Parasound CD Transport 1000
Parasound DAC1000
Nakamichi Dragon
Nakamichi RX505
Post edited by autoconsortium on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2006
    Options
    hell ya
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • djf
    djf Posts: 120
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Watch for cold solders. When I did mine, the first cold joint showed up the second day. SO I did it again. Then, about 3 days later, same thing. So I took the xover out, totally removed the PS, totally cleaned up the area it was getting soldered to, and did it again.

Been fine since then.

I only have total about 260WPC, they sound GREAT!!!