SRS 1.2 High Frequency

Options
StarlightWk
StarlightWk Posts: 33
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I been reading alot of posting from here lately and gained a wealth of infos
from members here. As I bought my SRS 1.2 used recently, I kinda hear less of
high frequency on my left speaker compared to my right. Could this be the problem of polyswitches on my left speakers or burnt and broken down of
the tweeters ? I put my ears near the tweeters to listen, from the top down,
the 1st 2nd 4th sounded like faint or no sound, but the 3rd one sounded
well enough to tell its working . Can please advise , thanks .
Post edited by StarlightWk on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If the polyswitch (one per crossover) is non-functional, none of the tweeters would work. The tweeters are a progessive point source, so one tweeter (#3) will be louder than the others on your 1.2's. However, you may have one or more dead tweeters in your left speaker. Pull them out, one at a time, swap it into the #3 position to check if it plays. If all the tweeters work, then I'd say it's probably room acoustics.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi F1, manage to solve my tweeters problem on the left speakers. They are working fine after all. The speaker wires connected to the banana plugs are somehow not tighten hard enough hence the tweeters actually not sounding properly.Off one problem comes another.On the SRS.1.2, there are 2 sets of speaker terminals, 1 set on the top which isslightly further apart then the lower set. The problem is : if I connect the bottom set of speaker terminal, it only have the bass/low frequency, the high/tweeters are not functioning at all. Why is it so , any idea what wrong with it , or was it made
    this way, or the lower set of speaker terminal are fault ? Connecting on the TOP set of speaker terminals are perfect. Thanks in advance .
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That is the way it is supposed to work. The bottom terminals drive the woofers, and the top terminal drives the tweeters. This is in the event you want to Bi-amp your 1.2's.

You could actually tri-amp them if you choose. You are not bound by the common ground amp on the tweeter array, only on the woofers. So you could put a mono block on each of the hi's if you wanted. (overkill)

If you are using a stereo amp/receiver, then you have to put a wire connecting the bottom terminal pos. to the top terminal pos post, and the same for the negative terminals..

Scott
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi Polkazoid, I am using AdcomPowerGFA555/Pre Gfp345. Can u guide me the right way
    to do the speaker connection for the above Amp that I'm using . Thanks .
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited January 2006
    Options
    First off you want to ensure your amp is set to stereo, there is a switch on the back.

Second, simply run a good quality speaker cable from you amps positive terminal to the speaker positive terminal, and the same for the negative terminal. Ensure you have the L/R channel going to the L/R speaker, and you are actually placing the speakers properly in the listening area. Left to your left as you are looking at them, and right to right. Then simply plug the speaker cable into your top or bottom terminal. Also ensure you have a cable running from your top terminals to the bottom terminals.

That is it........enjoy
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If your speakers are missing the little wire jumper cables that connect the bottom and top teminals, the easiest way to fix this would be to simply buy some Bi-wire speaker cables. If you already have speaker cables that you like, then build some jumpers yourself from some speaker wire.

-Luc

On the SRS.1.2, there are 2 sets of speaker terminals, 1 set on the top which isslightly further apart then the lower set. The problem is : if I connect the bottom set of speaker terminal, it only have the bass/low frequency, the high/tweeters are not functioning at all. Why is it so , any idea what wrong with it , or was it made
    this way, or the lower set of speaker terminal are fault ? Connecting on the TOP set of speaker terminals are perfect. Thanks in advance .
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    There are wires jumpped from the top/bottom speaker terminals. I am using cardas speaker cables given to me by an uncle , what model I don't know, I'll check and come back on this. Cables are pretty thick though.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That will do it......also, if you are so inclined, take off the crossover plate and ensure that the neg/pos speaker terminals are actually going to the +/- on the crossover. I don't know how many 1.2's were affected by this in manufacture. But my label on the back of my 1.2's didn't coincide with the crossover. They were reversed.

Scott
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Will try looking in polarity issue , thanks again , u been of great help, cheers !