pioneer qc issues??

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
yeah, so i had to send in my premier deh-p860mp HU in to pioneer for the third time today...

first time, the faceplate blew out, they said it was because i hooked the dimmer lead to my headlight switch (imagine that! do what the manual says and blow up your faceplate as a result! fun for the whole family!)...

second time, my front channels developed a huge amount of alternator whine after i disconnected, rerouted, and reconnected my RCAs , which they said was caused by a component trying to ground itself through the RCAs... but, since i had changed no other component, and the amp and HU both have a dedicated and quite secure line to ground, that doesn't sound kosher to me...

this time, it decided that it wasn't going to open the faceplate all the way when i hit the eject button... or when i turned it off and the auto-open kicked it... it'd open like 20 degrees, then stop for a few seconds, then return... after much cursing, it got a little better, and would go all the way up and down, but now it wouldn't eject the CD when i hit eject... so i had to turn it off, hit eject (and now the CD would come out), insert a new CD, remove the faceplate before it finished swallowing the CD, wait for the tray to go back up, reattach the faceplate, and turn the REM lead back on!!! just imagine how much time it took me to figure out this sequence...

today i was satisfied that i had demo'd my new setup everyone i needed to show it to, so i sent it off... we'll see what they say this time...

anyhoo, point of the novel, the worker at the audio store from which i mailed said HU told me that pioneer is known for making products that aren't very durable... is this true? or is it just me?
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    weve sold plenty of those 860s, never had a problem...the only returns we have on pioneer products(amps, radios, everything...) has been the 960 and once on an avic n2. The 960 has a problem w/ the ribbon breaking, mainly due to the "double face" bs. but ive yet to hear a complaint on the 860...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    I have read about grounding/noise issues with the DEH-P860MP on other forums.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Eclipse baby! Those are my new favorite head units!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    yeah, if anything else goes wrong, that's who i'm moving to... i've NEVER heard a bad word about eclipse... unless it's about how ugly they used to be :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    You guys are coming around huh :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    actually, eclipse has quite a few problems in the early 2000s, but had them fixed by 03
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    I had the top of the line pioneer when they first come out with the oel display. I keep it for three years and never had any trouble out of it.

But I sold it to a guy at work and about a year later he said the face would not open and close on it. So he sent it out for repair and they told him the ribbon had broken in it.

Other than the ribbons breaking in them they hardly ever give trouble. Besides not to many people will keep a deck past three years anyway.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    your first mistake was asking tech support what was wrong... you know more about your vehicle than they do...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    Never had a problem with my Pioneer HU's except for the faceplate came off of my 1989 knobber once and I glued it back on.

Currently, my Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD is kickin' butt, paired up with the Polk 400.4 and my factory Ford speakers (Polk's to be installed when I get time).
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    I had some buttons go bad on an older pioneer (circa 1997 - 1999 era)... the deck had been beaten to hell by someone though before i got it - cigarette burns and a smashed casing, and the speaker outputs were fried... i had to remove the integrated amp chip just to get the unit to power up because it was blowing fuses just by putting juice to the 12 v line... it worked decent for me for about 2 years in my grandfather's truck... i had just gotten round to getting him a cd player - i didn't care what it was at the time long as it played CD's and had a pre-out for the 4 channel amp (i have him 2 dx 6x9's and 2 dx 6.5's) ... eventually the buttons on the front stopped working so i couldn't switch ebtween tracks... but honestly, for a deck htat cost me 15 bucks as a "for parts" unit, and didn't cost me a dime to get working (for my needs - it would never push speakers on its own without the amp chip) i was pretty impressed... kinda like a timex, keeps working even after being hit by a train.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge