Polk db 525

coreys
coreys Posts: 6
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a set of db 525's for my Jeep. I was considering running them off my head unit (whitch I am buying next week). I am looking at 2 different head units - an Alpine 16 rms or a Pioneer 22 rms. Will this be enough power for the speakers or do I just need to go ahead and buy a amp? I am not looking to install and elaborate system just looking for some good sound.

Thanks,
Post edited by coreys on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Well, it kinda depends. Will the HU offer enough power? The answer to that is emphatically no, as neither HU will offer more than about 12watts in the real world, nor will any other HU. However, that may be 'enough' depending on what you are looking for.

What are you going for with this system? Just some tunes? A lot of boom? Or *good* sound? Are you just going to run one pair of speakers or two (pairs)? (I would recommend only going with one pair, unless you carry a lot of passengers often and care about their sound.) Are you planning on adding a sub in the future?

What kind of Jeep are you going to be putting this in? If it's a Wrangler and you're going to be listening to them riding down the highway with the top off, there's no way an HU will be able to *cleanly* power any speaker at that level. If, however, you have a closed Jeep (Cherokee or Grand Cherokee; I have a Cherokee Sport) AND don't listen to it loud AND aren't a very descriminating (critical, demanding) listener, an HU should be just fine. However, an external amplifier will always be better and is what I would personally recommend.

This doesn't mean you need to spend a boat-load of cash, though. This Kicker KX200.2 is $140 and offers 70wpc. This Orion 3002 is only $125 and offers 75wpc. Either of those amps would work well with the db525's. As you'll notice, they both put out more power than the db525's RMS power rating (45watts), but if you set the gains accordingly that won't be a problem and you'll have plenty of headroom and a nice amp for any future system you may decide to put together. I would personally choose the Orion amp 'cause I like Orion better, AND it's cheaper.

I think that about covers your scenario. If you have any more questions, just ask. And I'm sure someone else will chip in and share their ideas, too.

Good luck!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • coreys
    edited January 2006
    I am putting them in a Jeep Cherokee. I am not looking for alot of boom and I do not listen to my music very loud. I have 4 db 525. I am just trying to decide if I need to spent the extra money on an amp. I have priced a Alpine 40 x 4 at $149.00. Thanks for the reply.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    In that case, I'd recommend this Orion 4004. It's a 4-channel amp pushing 50wpc and is only $150 from sounddomain.com. Like I said earlier, I would strongly suggest adding an amp to the mix as it will make a world of difference in your sound.

This Hifonics TX4405 would also be a good choice. Hifonics makes good, solid amps at great prices. This one is only $120 and pushes 55wpc.

On a whole I'd prefer the Orion, but the Hifonics really is a great bang for the buck if you're trying to piece together a more affordable system.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2006
    What year Cherokee?

The 97-01 variety are reported to have 5 1/4 " speakers, but 5 1/4s are smaller than the factory speakers they come with.

If you have one of the later ones, you may have to put a baffle in the factory locations if you are serious about making 5 1/4 speakers work in your Jeep.
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    I would put that alpine 40 x4 amp on them. You can't beat that amp for the money. It will make a world of difference on those db's compared to running them off a headunit.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    You don't need an amp, the DB speakers are quite efficient. If you really don't listen to you music loud, then don't bother... get a head unit that has the features you want and is within your price range... aim for something with 25 watts rms or better ... alpine/kenwood/pioneer/ etc etc etc... i'm all for amplifiers, but i'm also all for letting people get and use what they want, no sense pushing an amp on you when you're not really going to utilize it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Nah, you still need an amp even if you dont want your music loud. More power doesnt necessarily mean louder. It also means having the extra oomph to play low frequency part with more authority and also to play the quiet and soft parts of the music much better.

Now if youre just wanting some tunes to break the silence while you drive to work then a head unit will work just fine but if youre wanting the best SQ you can get then an amp is a necessity.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • coreys
    edited January 2006
    Well, I installed my new db 525's in my Jeep today. I bought a Pioneer DEH 4700 Headunit to go with them. I am running the speaked directly off the headunit and I am very impressed with the sound quality. These are great speakers! I think I will hold off on the amp for now. Thanks for all the replys everyone.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Thats cool. You dont have to have an amp. The head unit will give you pretty decent sound and tons better than your stock system ever could.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    Awesome! Glad to hear you're please with it. As long as you like the sound, no rush on the amp. But just remember, the amp will do wonders for the sound.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]