Options
StarlightWk
StarlightWk Posts: 33
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hi,
Let me intro myself , I am Wilson from Singapore. Recently I've bought a
pair of Polk SDA SRS 1.2 and a Adcom Power/Pre Amp GFA-555 GFP-345. Got it
hooked up enjoying the music, beautiful, really love the SRS. Problem popped up
was that the balance control on the PreAmp when turned to the left, totally no sound, but when turned to the right or the centre of balance, both side of speakers working properly. Like to know from u guys out there have u come across this problem ? Intially thought the used PreAmp that i bought was faulty,
but strangely both speakers working fine when in the centre position. Appreciate
feedbacks from all, thanks.
Post edited by StarlightWk on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2006
    Options
    First check to make sure all of your speaker wires are hooked up with proper polarity.

Do you have the SDA cable that comes with these speakers?
    If so and you have it connected and speaker wires are hooked up correctly, you may be listening to only 1 channel of sound.
    That is because the sda effect will power some of the drivers in the other speaker, but you can tell one speaker plays louder than the other.

-Luc
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi,
    All speaker cables , SDA interconnect cable are of correctly connected. I have
    a Yamaha MultiChannelAmp , I plug in the Adcom PreAmp GFP-345, disabling the
    Yamaha PreAmp, suprisingly , all is well. That means I am using the Yamaha Power with the AdcomPre. After that, I tried swtich back to the AdcomPowerAmp GFA-555 connected to the AdcomPreAmp GFP-345, same thing happening again as mentioned earlier, turning to the left for balance , totally no sound, back to centre or all the way to the right , both side speakers working fine. Is my PowerAmp giving me problem? Or is there apossiblilty that this amp can be swithed to mono, hence is it playing only the right channel sound ? As this PowerAmp was bought USED, could be cos it is set to mono ? Appreciate if
    anyone could help , thanks !
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited January 2006
    Options
    The Adcom can be switched to bridged mode (mono), look on the back to see if it's set to stereo or bridged.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If the adcom preamp works fine when using the yamaha receiver as an amp only, then the problem would seem to be the adcom amp.
    Check the back of the amp and see what it is set to.
    I had a 555 mk ll, and there was a mono/stereo switch.
    Make sure it's set to stereo.

-Luc
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Some Adcom's (I can never remember which) are not common ground. dangerboy popped internal fuses in his a while back on his first SDA's.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Found the switch MONO/STEREO at the back of the PowerAmp, Darn it was at MONO. While I was still playing the cd in the MONO setting on the PowerAmp,
    I went to unplugged the RCA connection of the Power to Pre on the PREAMP, all
    of the sudden the speakers came on with loud humming, the next thing I know, the Adcom isn't working . The Power indicator on both the Adcom Power n Pre are still working though, but just no sound coming from the speakers. I don't know why I did that unplugging for, but regretted it , could anyone advise, whats wrong with the amp ? Could it be shorted circuit? No burned smell coming from the Power or Pre, both still can be power on for sure. Pre comes on with the relay clicked sound when turned on, power amp turned on but no relay clicking sound though.
  • trubluluc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yes, you probably already know this NOW,
    but, you should always turn off the amp before switching the switch from mono to stereo.
    I would let the amp cool down 20minutes and see if works when you restart it.
    If not, I would guess you blew a fuse internally, which should be easy enough to replace, but make sure you use a proper replacement fuse.

-Luc
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    +1 for F1...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Forums and SDAs.

Here's another small tip... not only when switching from mono to stereo mode, always power down an amp whenever you're going to make or break any connections period. (Such as ICs or speaker cables.)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    it's true i did blow an internal line fuse in my Adcom 5400 the first time i hooked it up. I'm not so sure that 5400 is made to handle 4ohm loads. the warning lights on the front of the amp were blinking for about 5 mins till i gave it some more juice from the pre amp.. then the right internal fuse blew.. and i didnt have any sound from that channel till i had it serviced.

no damage to the amp, just the internal fuse was blown. At that time i didn't know there were internal fuses, i thought only external ones. the amp is fine today.. but it's not hooked up to the SDA's anymore and won't ever be.

As you've already heard.. never plug or unplug things on your system with the power turned on. i've done it on accident a few times.. and it scares the Holy beJesus out of me.

The balance problem may be a bad interconnect. i've had this happen a few times myself. it's rare on mine... but it does creep up now and then. I am blaming it on a bad pre map connection inside the pre amp unit. I am taking it in for service next week.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedbacks , I'm going to open up the amp to see if its the internal fuse blown off. Cheers ! Will get back to u guys soon , thanks !
  • StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi, guys, I'm back. Went to the electronics store to get those fuses for my AdcomPowerAmp. There are 4 of them rated at 3A/250V . Put it back on and
    up and running . Also switched it back to Stereo Mode , balance knot working fine too !!!! Thanks alot guys.....appreciate it .
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited January 2006
    Options
    +1 for Tour

Starlight, check if the original fuses were fast or slow blow and then make sure the new ones match that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StarlightWk
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi F-1,
    Those fuses I bought are slow-blow type, Taiwan made though, can't find a
    better quality ones in the same building, anyway it work all the same I guess.
    Like to share abit of my experiences with my SRS 1.2 on the Yamaha and Adcom
    Adcom Power/Pre sounded very very much detailed compared ! I find vocals very
    clear and live-like, high instruments can be heard clearly , Yamaha's sounded very faint where u have to stretch your ears for it. hahaha, One thing I find for
    piano tones especially the lowkey piano ones are kinda bit blurry. All in all, I'm
    happy with its performance, what more can I asked for, its a cheap buy for a system of less than US$2200/-- for the amps / speakers . Later on, probably
    I will embark on upgrading the SDA interconnects and crossover stuff. Will keep
    u guys posted once I have upgraded, once again thanks alot , cheers !!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited January 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    it's true i did blow an internal line fuse in my Adcom 5400 the first time i hooked it up. I'm not so sure that 5400 is made to handle 4ohm loads.

The Adcom can handle 4 ohm loads without any trouble whatsoever. My guess is that it's possible it's not common ground. I know the 5500/5800/5802 are NOT common ground due to the secondary windings of the power trans.

Also I don't believe the line (AC fuse) fuse is internal....although it's been awhile since I've had a 5400 open. Are you talking about the power supply rail fuses? Adcom's don't use any current limiting devices/circuitry only in-line fuses. Seems reasonable to blow the rail fuses when the situation of a Non-common ground amp is hooked up to a load that requires a common ground.

Just trying to set the record straight for the CP archives.

Starlight-Glad you got things up and running. The Adcom combo IS so much better than the Yamaha musically. Enjoy :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!