Wiring?

SportsFan
SportsFan Posts: 93
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just curious what the preferrences for others would be between the following choices regarding wiring for a 4-channel amp:

* StreetWires versus Stinger versus Rockford Fosgate and others (amp wiring, RCAs, speaker wire)

* two individual 2-channel RCA patch cables @ 11.5 feet each or one 4-channel RCA patch cable @ 16.4 feet

* 14 or 16 guage speaker wire (and does price enter the equation here?)
'98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
Polk Audio db650
Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
Post edited by SportsFan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Streetwires. While I believe all of the above are top quality wire, Ive always been partial to Streetwires. Maybe cause their daddy company is Mitek which is MTX.

Get the 4 channel RCA. Its usually cheaper. If theyre the same price, get the 2 channel as theyre a tad easier to install.

Go with the 14 guage wire. Less resistance.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited January 2006
    Hey Mac,

I've heard good things about StreetWires RCAs, and I've also heard that the patch cables are more important than the amp power wire and speaker wire (which just makes sense). Here are the patch cables I'm looking at, and the price is identical (two 2-channels = one 4-channel). What I'm wanting to know about are things like signal response (like does a shorter wire make any difference) and difficulty to install (like would installing two be easier or more difficult than just one)

StreetWires Zero Noise 2 patch cables
    StreetWires ZN2 4-channel patch cables

As far as amp wiring, I'm still deciding between Stinger and StreetWires (threw Rockford Fosgate out there as another option, a little less expensive, but a much shorter warranty). And as far as speaker wire, I was leaning towards 14 guage already. StreetWires has "SuperCable" and "UltraCable" (don't know if there is that much of a difference or not) that run $.40 for the SuperCable and $.50 for the UltraCable...while Stinger has their "Expert" series 14 guage that a local shop has for $.39 per foot. Still trying to decide there as well.
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    See if you can get your hands on the Street wires zn3504, theyre a step up from the ZN2s but are better "Bang for the buck" IMO. Another option is knukonceptz.com. Great stuff, really cheap
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    There will be more resistance in a longer strand of wire as compared to a shorter one.

I think the 2 channel RCA would be easier to install cause itll be smaller and eaiser to snake thru all the holes and cracks and under your carpet.

As for speaker wire, theyre all pretty much the same so dont pay attention to the higher priced stuff.

Knuconceptz is an excellent choice. Very good quality wire and cable for half the price of the bigger names.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited January 2006
    Another good place to get cabling is www.partxexpress.com you can order speaker
    wire by the spool and they carry great stuff at cheap prices. I am fond of thier Sound
    King 12 Awg OFC speaker cable, I use the stuff to fab all my own home audio cable
    runs. They also sell Tech Flex and the tools to cut Tech Flex plus all kinds of heat
    shrinks and wraps and vuncanizing electrical tape and any kind of speaker terminals
    you can think of.. They are even a distributor of WBT connectors ($$$$).