Speaker baffles?

SportsFan
SportsFan Posts: 93
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm curious what others think about speaker baffles (i.e. - XTC speaker baffles, etc.). Do they actually HELP "enhance" the bass (as I've heard some people mention), or are they a complete waste of money?

I'm thinking about adding some baffles for my rear deck 6X9 db690s, and I'm curious if others have had good experiences with them and think that they would be worth it. They're cheap, so cost isn't an issue...but realistically, can one expect slight (not significant, just slight) improvement in bass response and overall sound quality?
'98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
Polk Audio db650
Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
Post edited by SportsFan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Its not about enhancing the bass really as all frequencies can benefit.

Say you mount a speaker to a thin, metal door panel. Now when you crank up the volume the speaker will vibrate and in turn so will the door panel. These vibrations can and usually will be transmitted to the speaker and can severly color and/or distort its output.

Using a good baffle, like say a 1/2" piece of plywood covered in Dynamat, you can be assured that no vibrations will be transmitted to the speaekers cone and what youll be hearing is only what the speaker puts out and not what the door panel "adds" to it. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2006
    I like to use the XTC baffles in the door to protect from carwash drenchings in older cars with lesser designed seals. Other than that benefit, I don't notice any sound difference. I wouldn't waste the $ or effort on rear decks.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    OK, I think Im talking about something different.

If youre talking about the semi enclosures that go around the magnet to keep water and such off of them then no, they wont enhance anything. Theyll help keep the elements off of them but theyre not airtight so they wont act as an enclosure.

If youre talking about a mounting baffle like a piece of MDF with the speaker mounted to it and then it mounted to the door, then my above statement applies.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    I think what he is talking about is the foam baffle. I don't think they will really enhance the bass response much. But they will act as a shield against water and weather in general. Thats about all I see there good for is protecting your speakers.
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    The foam baffles also work well for protecting rear deck speakers from subwoofer pressure. I have blown several 6 1/2's and 6x9's on rear decks from sub pressure. I have also seen the surrounds ripped completely from it, and it will keep that from happening.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    i agree... the baffles work great to keep the elements away from a door speaker (although i'm far too lazy to use them unless i actually see a problem such as water inside the door panel while doing an install).

they are also great for 'insulating' a deck speaker from subs... did it in the ex gf's car, worked out nice.

for any other use, i'd say they're worthless... but at 6 bucks a pair, they're cheap rain/pressure protection.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    Yep, you guys are right....I was thinking of the "foam" type baffles for the rear deck 6 X 9s. I've heard some people say that they help "enhance the bass"....and my trunk is rather large, so if having baffles would better help push the sound through the speakers grills into the car as opposed to losing sound in a spacious trunk, I was thinking of adding some. Not so much for protection (rear deck of a '98 Accord), but to improve sound quality throughout the car.

Thanks for the replies......

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    I saw some hard PLASTIC speaker baffles advertised.....don't know if they work better (or worse) than the foam, but I thought I'd throw that out there, in case anyone has used either and could comment on them. I heard someone say (somewhere) that he used baffles surrounded by Dynamat and he seemed to like the results. Anyway, since I won't be adding a sub, anything that is a cheap way to improve sound quality is something that I'd consider.

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    you could get an infinity basslink for just under 200 on ebay. Or throw a bazooka tube in there. If you definitely aren't going to go the sub route... The baffles will decrease the bass response because they will see it as a very small enclosure. The only way to get better bass response out of them while leaving them on the rear deck would be to seal off the trunk compartment completely from the rest of the car. And stiffen the rear deck itself to all hell. Really though, you will be dissapointed with the baffles if you are looking for more bass. I think if you would just take Macleod's idea of making baffles out of plywood covered in dynamat you will notice a world of difference in bass response.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    buy a sub
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Youre never going to get very good bass response out of standard speakers. Theyre just not capable of producing it.

If you want good bass youre going to have to break down and buy a sub. It doesnt have to be anything huge or complex, a humble DB 8" in a sealed enclosure with 200 watts would make a world of difference.

• SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    buy a sub
    LOL.....nah, not gonna happen. I like music enough to invest in a good system (which I think that my Alpine CDA-9847 head unit, Alpine MRP-F240 amp mounted under the seat, Polk db650s for the front and Polk db690s for the rear provides me with), but I've spent enough $$$ already, and I need to keep the trunk free for travel (luggage, work accessories, etc.), and besides, I'm on the other side of 30 ;)

I simply want a good sounding system.....I'm not trying to win any competitions or "impress" anyone because they can hear me coming from down the block.... :p

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Youre never going to get very good bass response out of standard speakers. Theyre just not capable of producing it.

If you want good bass youre going to have to break down and buy a sub. It doesnt have to be anything huge or complex, a humble DB 8" in a sealed enclosure with 200 watts would make a world of difference.
    Thanks, but I'm just looking for a "subtle" enhancing or boost to the bass, Mac - I'm not looking to vibrate the rearview mirror or shake the seats. The bass response from the db690s currently is not bad, and I don't even have the amp installed YET (will be installed under the seat next weekend). Perhaps once I've installed the amp I won't even be looking for any additional bass response...because hopefully it will enhance the overall SQ (including the bass). I'm just basing (no pun intended) the fact that I would like a little more bass based off of the head unit's output.

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Dont associate using a sub with vibrating the windows out of the car next to you. Thats not what its about at all. Thats like saying I dont need more horsepower in my car cause Im never gonna drive in NASCAR. For best SQ you have to have a sub because it takes a sub to reproduce freqencies from 80 and down. A regular speaker just cant pull that off.

A single 8 or even 10" sub properly powered and dialed into the system would do nothing more than fill out your sound and drastically improve your overall SQ.

• SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    For best SQ you have to have a sub because it takes a sub to reproduce freqencies from 80 and down. A regular speaker just cant pull that off.

A single 8 or even 10" sub properly powered and dialed into the system would do nothing more than fill out your sound and drastically improve your overall SQ.
    Well then, I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that the amp will provide an adequate enhancement of sound quality....because I'm not looking to spend hundreds more for a sub and take up trunk space, and then hundreds more for ANOTHER amp to properly power the sub. Hopefully once I've got the amp installed I'll see enough of an improvement in SQ that I will be happy and content with what I'll have.....

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    I totally agree with what MacLeod said. It will be very hard to get well balanced sound without a subwoofer. I myself have only a 10" sub, and I am happy with it thus far. I do not try to impress anyone but myself :D. The sound system is for me :). You can actually get 10" subs that go into enclosures that are .66 or less. My friend has an 8" sub that he put into a .35 cubic foot enclosure. I think it sounds very nice. Has a 2001 Eclipse (the ones with a trunk). Also Class D amps are getting pretty small now, especially one that would be capable of pushing an 8" sub.

If you still do not want a sub, you may have to get a receiver with some signal processing built in to help out. My unit has this. It is from SRS Labs and they call it TruBass. It kind of makes your ears think they are hearing lower frequencies from your speakers, and it's done without overdriving them.

Here is a quote from Eclipse's web site & the link to it:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/audio1.html

"TruBass is technology based on psychoacoustics and scientific knowledge of the human hearing system to generate bass sounds extending lower than a small speaker’s response so that a subwoofer is not required"

While not a real substitute for a sub in my book, it did punch out the bass sound quite a bit. This may be all that is needed for you. I did this recently while I was waiting for one of my amps to come in (had no sub amp) and for the time being it served it's purpose. The only thing is that if you want something like that you will have to get another HU. There is also a stand alone system by Waves called the MaxxBass 103 Signal Processor. You can add it in between your amp and HU, it has received good reviews.

Here is a quote from them:

"MaxxBass 103® Signal Processor
    Using the MaxxBass 103 you can get rich, deep, booming subwoofer-quality bass from a car stereo without needing the traditional big subwoofer to go with it. In fact, nothing in the car has to look any different."

While I have not tried this, just letting you know what's out there. Here is the link to their site.

http://www.wavescaraudio.com/
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited January 2006
    I have to agree with getting a sub. I have a 02 Silverado extended cab and put a sub and amp under the back seat. I still have access to my jack and no leg room is lost. My Wife uses the truck and needs the rear cab space. She still has plenty of room. BTW I am on the other side of 30 :D (40 on the 25th of Jan.) I can feel the bass but it does not rattle the truck and you can't hear it outside the truck.

If you don't get a sub, I hope your car sounds like my first car did. It was a 78 Camaro and all I had in it were 2 6x9s on the rear deck (Premier) and 6.5s in the front door (Premier) No amp, just a kenwood deck and a 10 disc changer. No trunk space left with the spare tire. Anyway, some how the sound was great in that car, even with out a sub or amp.

BTW, I have the speaker baffles from XTC I bought them for protection of the magnets and back of the speakers. I would think that they would also help like dynamat (Not as well though) because you are adding something between the metal surfaces of the speaker and door.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • SportsFan
    edited January 2006
    hrdhtdvr wrote:
    If you don't get a sub, I hope your car sounds like my first car did. It was a 78 Camaro and all I had in it were 2 6x9s on the rear deck (Premier) and 6.5s in the front door (Premier) No amp, just a kenwood deck and a 10 disc changer. No trunk space left with the spare tire. Anyway, some how the sound was great in that car, even with out a sub or amp.
    WOW...talk about ironic! There has to be something to the acoustics and interior design of the late 70's models Camaros...because my first car was a '76 Camaro, and you are absolutely right - with just 6X9s in the rear deck, front speakers, a deck and a "booster/equalizer" (dating myself now, those were big in the 80's, almost non-existent now)....and yet my stereo always sounded GREAT! Almost regardless of whether the system/speakers were Pioneer, JVC, Sony, etc.
    hrdhtdvr wrote:
    BTW, I have the speaker baffles from XTC I bought them for protection of the magnets and back of the speakers. I would think that they would also help like dynamat (Not as well though) because you are adding something between the metal surfaces of the speaker and door.
    I may choose to add them....along with some dampening material (strongly considering SecondSkin Damplifier - because I've heard that it works as well as Dynamat, only at about half the cost) for the doors, rear deck, and floorboard. While that likely won't add a whole lot, I'm not looking to add much because I'm pretty happy with what I have now (Alpine CDA-9847 head unit, Alpine MRP-F240 amp, Polk Audio db650s front, Polk Audio db690s rear).

IF (big IF) I get a sub....it won't be for a while (currently strapped financially), and it would have to be something like the Infinity BassLink that has a built-in 200 watt amp, because it's small, won't take up additional room with cables/amp/etc. so I won't lose more cargo space. But the current system does sound pretty good without an amp....

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

• hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited January 2006
    SportsFan wrote:

IF (big IF) I get a sub....it won't be for a while (currently strapped financially), and it would have to be something like the Infinity BassLink that has a built-in 200 watt amp, because it's small, won't take up additional room with cables/amp/etc. so I won't lose more cargo space. But the current system does sound pretty good without an amp....

I know exactly what you mean about being strapped for cash. I had to wait for 6 months before I could get my sub and amp. I would have put in the alpine mrvF450 (5 channel amp) but by the time I got the cash, I couldn't find one anywhere. Oh well, I am happy with what I have and that is what counts.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20