sda srs 2 vs. sda 3.1tl

Options
fshan
fshan Posts: 110
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
does anyone know why the sda srs2's outweigh the 3.1's by 40 pounds?
Post edited by fshan on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    Options
    well...have you seen them? The 3.1 is smaller.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    so mostly cabinet? (I was hoping magnets)!
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2006
    Options
    the 2's have BIG boxes.

-Luc
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I can't find any info hardly at all on the srs 2's. Can't wait on the arrival and manual. I have been polk owner since 1990. only polks. hard to convince coworkers etc. what polk is all about cause "JBL, Cerwin Vega, etc" is always better. but I know what I like and will always have. NOTHIN BUT POLK!!!! anyways I will hopefully like everyone else with a brain will own a pair of the "big boys" someday. I just need to now know what would I need to best drive these things and a little bit of info on them as there seems to be not any as opposed to the 1C's. ..........I have nothin but polks and nothin ever but polks. ...........upgrade....upgrade.......uprade..........s**t!!!!!!!!!
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Sonically what is the difference between the 2's and 1c's? Where is the info on the 2's?
    thx.
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Please don't flame me. I just want to know the difference. I'll go elsewhere if necessary. I just thought this forum is for questions.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ....you just bought Kevin's (Napa) SDA SRS 2's.
    The C's take up less real estate, but have same number of drivers/tweeters.
    The 2's have a 15" passive as opposed to the C's 12".
    I like the way the C's look better with the grill off.
    But the 2's should hit lower.

You should be happy with the 2's, nice speakers.
    You don't need a ton of juice to run them,
    just something than can push a 4 ohm load.
    A solid 100-200watts should do the trick.

-Luc
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!
    any more info as to what's the difference? anyone else have any?
    thx.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2006
    Options
    fshan wrote:
    Please don't flame me. I just want to know the difference. I'll go elsewhere if necessary. I just thought this forum is for questions.

El Christo man, nobody is going to flame you but there isn't like a dedicated bank of Polk employees sitting around to answer your every question. Give it some time.

I implore you to use the search function. Lots of posts about both speakers although other than dorokusai, I doubt anyone has owned both. I've heard both, like the SRS 2's better.

Why is weight an issue? The SRS 2 cab is bigger so, therefore, it's heavier.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I implore you to use the search function. Lots of posts about both speakers

Did the search even from the archives. Not much on srs2's. will find out tho.
    thx. Glad you answered me with the "I've heard them both" cause that was my question.
    weight is not an issue just asking a question as to why there was a weight difference. I didn't know.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2006
    Options
    disregard, I thought we were comparing the SRS 2's and 1C's.......

I still think the SRS 2 would be the way to go.

Same principle on the cab.

BDT
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited January 2006
    Options
    You have to dig into the threads that pop up in a search. Do a search for 'SDA SRS 2' and 'SDA SRS2' 'SDA SRS 2 Upgrade'. Lots of reading, but a wealth of info along the way.

You could ask this member, he was selling both.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35347&highlight=sda+srs

SDA pecking order opinions.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32429&highlight=sda+pecking+order

I've got late SRS 2's with RD0194 tweeterss and crossovers rebuilt and think they sound great, but I haven't heard them against 1C's.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!! That's the info I was looking for. Thanks again.!!!!!!!
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I appreciate all and very informative but still no data on specs.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • TroyD
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ...and here is for the 3.1tl's

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11692&highlight=SDA+specs

Anything else I can search for you? Perhaps pay your bills online? Take out the trash? Whip up an omellete? :)

EDIT: added a smiley face to ensure comments not construed as being unkind

BDT
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Forums.

In addition to Mark's spec page...

In my owner's manual for the earlier models (non-biwireable) the specs state:

Dimensions: 13 1/4"D X 21"W X 50"H

Shipping Weight (each): 135 lbs.

DC Resistance: 5 ohms

(Drivers are the same.)

The SDA-SRS 2s were made in '86 @ $1,900 pr, '87 @$1,998 pr, and in '88 my old notes indicate that at some point during the year (most likely late) there was an SDA-SRS 2A made. I have no prices for 1988.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That's why it's such a pain in the **** to find any real data on SDA's....it varies from Polk....owners manuals....and published information.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    That's why it's such a pain in the **** to find any real data on SDA's....it varies from Polk....owners manuals....and published information.

Amen :)
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I just found my prices for 1988 and the SRS 2s were $2,000 pr.

And get this... at 4 ohms. ;)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Ridiculous.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited January 2006
    Options
    FWIW, I'm the original owner of 1988's SRS2 and 1C's.

The SRS2's have a much bigger soundstage than the 1C. Also the base is deeper w/ the SRS's.

Both benefit from high current amps. I went from 110w/ch to 250w/ch on the 1C's and that made a big difference in tight bass. I also went from 250w/ch to 375w/ch on my SRS2's and that was a night and day difference.
    Before w/ the lower wattage amps, it seemed that the speakers could not play loud enough. But once the change they were now more responsive w/ alot of impact...

BTW I have Carver amps TFM-45,25 & 15...

Regards,
    Jose
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006