Recommendations for a good amp for the SDA1Cs pls

Options
vanman
vanman Posts: 21
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hi again,

Now that I have the SDA1Cs, was just wondering from all you owners of these wonderful speakers, what is a good amp for these babies. As some of you know I have the Phase Linear 400 n 4000 set, it gives beautiful sound and the soundstage is great abt 8-9ft around. I'm sure it has grown bigger with the 1Cs hehe. Somehow, I prefer it to be more bassy when I listen to it at low volumes at night after the kids are asleep, my setup is in the living room, so can't have it playing very loud. I like to listen to low volumes but want it clear, bassy, and detailed.

What would you guys recommend I should try looking at. I saw a dealer selling a Sunfire 600W power with a Sunfire Tube pre, these are showroom sets, and not too well taken care of. Selling it for US$3,375.68 for both. Reading Bob Carver's Tracking Downconverter Technology is very interesting :) Only thing is the SDA1Cs are rated at max 500w, and these Sunfires are 600W is it going to fry them? Or can I still safely pair them.

I guess what I like to know is what is a good amp to pair with the SDA 1Cs

So guys or gals if any... what would you recommend :)
Post edited by vanman on

Comments

• fshan
    fshan Posts: 110
    edited January 2006
    Options
    me too as I'm the proud owner of a pair of sda srs2's @ 750watts. Not very much info here on the srs2's
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2006
    Options
    You just don't need that much juice to drive 1C's.
    200watts or so would be plenty.
    They have a 90 db effeciency rating.
    Mine sounded good with an adcom gfa 555 ll

-Luc
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Just my opinion, but if you actually have $4,000 to spend on amp/preamp, you should have gotten more SDA. The bass would be bigger even with your current PL rig with SDA-SRS models.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That's pretty high for a used rig....IMO. The Sunfire tube pre is a NICE pre but there are better, cheaper.

The amp is stellar.....

More power is a good thing. A lower power amp is more likely to damage your gear than a higher powered one.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • vanman
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions and advice... If I were in the USA I would probably get the SDA SRS sure looks sweet. Unfortunately, I'm in Singapore and these are the first SDA that I've seen in the 6mths of looking for used speakers. So they are rare.

Anyway, I'm going to demo the Sunfires later to hear the sound of Bob Carver's latest technology compared to my PL. The guy that sold me the SDAs says that he'll come with me and listen in. He also says I got very "HIGH HiFi Fever" lol. Yah I got it bad hehe.

The other thing about Adcom, is the current dealer in Singapore is not bringing in anymore. Said that he has a hard time selling them. :(
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I like the sound of a tube pre and a ss amp, my basic system consists of ic's,x-over,tweeter upgrade, audible illusions L-1 tube (bugle boys) pre, belles 350a power, I much prefer this combo over my adcom pre and power(555's),and the AI-adcom power combo,if you can get your hands on one, give the belles(or something in that class) a try :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I drive our SRS 2's with a Parasound HCA 1500 amp. The amp does an outstanding job,to my ears anyway...I will be adding a tube pre one day,but for the moment,I'll get by just fine.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Power: Either way can do it but I agree with Troy... you're more apt to damage your 1Cs with a lack of power rather than an abundance of it. However, at your listening levels which you claim to be low, you're not in need of a lot of power and not using a lot of power.

On the other hand the human ear isn't very sensitive to bass at low listening levels anyways. Sooo........ I don't think the solution will be found in throwing a bunch of money into a more powerful amp.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I use a NAD C270 at 120wpc. The ICs sound very nice with this amp and it has plenty of power. The newer NAD C272 bumps up to 150wpc. You can probably find one used in the $500-$600 range used or new around $700±.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I have a Carver TFM-25 w/ my 1C's ..(250w/ch)
    Look at the TFM-45(375w/ch) or the TFM-25(250w/ch) both are very good at driving SDA's..
    I had a TFM-15(110w/ch) on the 1C's, it was ok, but the 250w amp made a big difference.

Regards,
    Jose
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006
  • StinkyDog
    StinkyDog Posts: 96
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Power: Either way can do it but I agree with Troy... you're more apt to damage your 1Cs with a lack of power rather than an abundance of it. However, at your listening levels which you claim to be low, you're not in need of a lot of power and not using a lot of power.

On the other hand the human ear isn't very sensitive to bass at low listening levels anyways. Sooo........ I don't think the solution will be found in throwing a bunch of money into a more powerful amp.

Just out of curiosity, how would a low power amp/receiver damage your speakers? Is there a certain threshold that you should not go under before risking damage?

(sorry for the hijack)
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If any amp clips, then it would damage your speaker.

The reason low wattage amp clip, is that people will run them close to their max wattage. That's where they will clip..

On my 375w/ch amp , I use to never run more than 25% of the vol. on my pre-amp..
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If I had the scratch, I would get an Aria Wt-100 amp. This 100watt/ch amp 8ohms, 200watt/ch 4ohm has big balls!

http://www.ariaaudio.com/index.html

They are made by Alta Vista Audio by Mike Elliott, the designer for Counterpoint amps. I have a SA-100 upgraded to the NP-100 Premium stage and it is a truly amazing amp. Once I heard it fully broken in, it made me rethink the whole big ss amp theory and as a result, I dumped my Perreaux 2150 and my Threshold SA/12 because they just didn't stack up!

Mike seems to design for emotional impact. All of his amps measure well and are 2 ohm stable, but he really gets amazing amounts of music out of his designs. His amps use just two tubes in the driver stage which seriously reduces re-tubing costs. They come with a lifetime warrenty and a 14-trial. One of the areas that they excell in (at least my NP-100) is in low volume listening. My favorite time to listen is around midnight, and I live in an apartment. Even at low levels, this amp just pours forth the music coherently top to bottom.

If the entry price is two high, then just do what I did. Find a used SA-100 ($300-500) and have Mike modify it for $1000-$2500. I love mine!

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2006
    Options
    StinkyDog wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, how would a low power amp/receiver damage your speakers? Is there a certain threshold that you should not go under before risking damage?

Not a new one :) but a good question. In a nut shell:

Speakers can manage to reproduce a clean signal at higher levels where they can't a distorted one. Too often people will push a lower powered amp past it's ability to send a clean (undistorted) signal to the speakers in an attempt to reach a certain LOUD listening level. It's the distorted signal sent to the drivers that damages them. With a powerful, high current amp, it has enough power so that it can allow the listener to enjoy higher listening levels without sending a distorted, out of control signal to the speakers.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    Options
    In other words....if you have enough power, you'll damage your ears before damaging your speakers. :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    In other words....if you have enough power, you'll damage your ears before damaging your speakers. :)

Bingo! :D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2006
    Options
    vanman wrote:
    The other thing about Adcom, is the current dealer in Singapore is not bringing in anymore. Said that he has a hard time selling them. :(
    Over in Singapore I'm sure you have some REALLY nice Chinese stuff available much cheaper. No?
  • vanman
    edited January 2006
    Options
    HI all,

Wow, thanks so much for all the inputs. I was at the dealers place listening to the Sunfire yesterday. The setup was with a Wilson Audio speaker, dealer claimed that it is 2ohms. But dang the Sunfires sure can drive them babies. very good sounds at low levels, but it really came alive at louder vols. Somehow, I was expecting a lot more :( Went away a bit dissapointed at the difference in writeups and listening with my own ears. I guess the saying of one's meat is another one's poison is true, and trust your ears.

Anyway, I'll still be looking... OOOh just after auditioning the Sunfires, I chanced upon a big tall dude SDA SRS boy are they big. The 2nd hand dealer wanted US$1100 for a very abused set. lol. bottom wood was cracked, sides were opening up, didn't at all look decent and for that price haha.
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited January 2006
    Options

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Speakers can manage to reproduce a clean signal at higher levels where they can't a distorted one. Too often people will push a lower powered amp past it's ability to send a clean (undistorted) signal to the speakers in an attempt to reach a certain LOUD listening level. It's the distorted signal sent to the drivers that damages them.
    That's one explanation... there are others.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25736&page=1&pp=40
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • vanman
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wanted you to know that I settled for a new AVI Int Amp http://www.avihifi.co.uk/IntAmp/Integrated%20Amp.html

The one thing that made me settle with this is the soundstage, it was incredible yet sounded like the Phase Linear that I have. Had very tight bass and overall good performance, at least to me :)

Thanks all, just wanted to let you all know.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2006
    Options
    vanman wrote:
    Hi all,

Just wanted you to know that I settled for a new AVI Int Amp http://www.avihifi.co.uk/IntAmp/Integrated%20Amp.html

The one thing that made me settle with this is the soundstage, it was incredible yet sounded like the Phase Linear that I have. Had very tight bass and overall good performance, at least to me :)

Thanks all, just wanted to let you all know.

Was there something wrong with the Phase Linear? I ask only because that's what amp I have now and it sounds pretty good with the Dodd tube pre in front and the SDA 2s behind on the 2 channel rig.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • vanman
    edited January 2006
    Options
    just me i guess. Phase Linear are great, just not sure how long its going to last and with the many comments abt it "Flame Linear" I was concerned. I will get it checked out after Chinese New Year this weekend :)