base setting help for c400.4

Larry D
Larry D Posts: 7
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all, I am a bit new at this and need help for correct base settings. I bought a c400.4 . I will be using this amp to push four 690's full range.

(1) slope 12 or 24

(2)freq multiplication x10 ?

(3) lp/hp off

(4)freq 80 to 120

(5) pre eq bypass or on

(6)input controls low

I know to you guys these are real stupid questions but i need to start somewhere. Thanks for any help.
Post edited by Larry D on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    for a beginner, there are no stupid questions (except make sure to keep car audio stuff on this side, the home audio people are twitchy about that sort of thing)

since you're using 6x9s, i'd set the crossover (xover) to hp (hp = highpass = passes the high frequencies, blocking the low), and the frequency to 50 (50 Hz is as low as the amp will go, and is a good compromise between powerhandling and bass output)

frequency multiplication is off, slope can be 12 or 24, try both and choose which you think sounds better (12 should give you a bit more bass, 24 should be a bit cleaner)...

input controls depend on how you're providing the signal - what else is in your system?

pre-eq set to bypass...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Larry D
    Larry D Posts: 7
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00, Thank you for the reply! Nothing else is in the system. I only have one preout so i will have to go with y connectors. I have a question about adjusting the gains. Correct me if i am wrong. Turn the volume all the way up with the gains all the way down and bring the gain back up until the speaker just starts to distort then down very little from there? Also i am using 8 ga wires to the amp and 16 ga to the speakers. Is this big enough?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    you've got the basic idea, cept you want to turn the volume 3/4 of the way up instead of 100% - here is a more in-depth walkthrough... for the power you're using, those gauges are on the smallish side but should be fine (properly fused, of course)...

btw, that's what i was getting after, if you had an aftermarket HU or not... because you do, you'll likely set input to 'low', but if that provides too much power even at almost-zero gain, set it to 'high' and redo the gain there...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs