Turbo Kit

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited January 2006
    You got that right (Neo & Bliss), I guess... But I don't want a 4.5L V8 because the Jetta will be my ride to work...

I might have to drop the idea for now... bummer!
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    no, just research a bit further... that www.vwvortex.com site looks like a good place to start, you'll need to find a machinist, too, and s/he can quote you labor... forums are a good place to find companies that sell vw-specific upgrade parts, like cams, forged rods and valves, and so on... just do some looking around before you make up your mind one way or the other...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    If Sami is right, a 40% HP increase with a 6 psi Turbo is VERY decent, and as far as I understand the car won't need much upgrades because is a Low Pressure Turbo... right?
    <|>
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    sami - where'd you get that equation? what theory? it sounds terribly interesting...!
    Well, 6psi is actually 1atm + 6psi (additional 6psi to normal atmosphere pressure). 1atm is 14.7psi. You are increasing the motors ability to "breath" air by this much:

(6+14.7) / 14.7 = 1.41

If you add enough fuel to burn with that extra oxygen then you have an energy increase of 41% from the motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_(unit)
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    :sheepish grin: i got confused by the 15 rather than the 14.7, but i understand... of course, you lose something like 30% of that extra power in the turbo system, but that's still ~25-30% over stock...

crboy - yes, that is a very good increase, but you'll still want to do some upgrades (search the forums or ask a vw mechanic, ask what breaks first, and upgrade that), but you won't have to do nearly as much upgrading if you use 6 psi...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    25% increase over stock sounds good... and a ~6 psi turbo shouldn't be very expensive...

Does anybody know something about shortshifters? any good?
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    yep, a shorter shift time can't help but be a good thing... not reccomended for those just learning to shift (:cough cough: ME :cough cough: )... but a good first step towards upgrading your drivetrain (a better clutch setup and a lighter flywheel are good steps too, both especially with the increased power)...

• PolkThug
    edited January 2006
    Also, you could buy a Jetta with a factory turbo. I remember test driving them a long time ago.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    if your car had a factory turbo as an option, and the cost isn't through the roof, i would look at getting ahold of one of those factory turbo's (maybe a remanufacturered one from pep boys or autozone or advance... or ebay one... or from a boneyard -- the cost 'new' from a dealer would probably be way over the top, but still look into it). also, find out what else is different between your motor and the "factory turbo" version.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    That is a good idea. Surely the two engines couldn't be that much different.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Also, you could buy a Jetta with a factory turbo. I remember test driving them a long time ago.

I don't know about that... I'm looking at a 95 or 96 model because I like that body style...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    it's the engine that's important, if you go with pbd's idea... it's definitely worth a look - see what the differences in the 95's turbo and non-turbo engines are, if there is a turbo 95, or see what the difference between a 95 non-turbo and a more modern turbo are...

for example, in my car (saab 9-3), the engine stayed exactly the same from 98-03, offered in three trims that varied mostly the computer programs and turbo size, but not so much the guts of the engine... i have a 2000 with the small turbo, so i could put an 03's large turbo in with only very minor modifications to the engine...

• CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    I think PBDs idea is not gonna work, I can't find any 95-turbo for sale, only the GLS with the 2.0L (normal aspiration)... and I realized the Jetta 95 can only fit 5-1/4" speakers on the front doors so bye bye to the SR6500 unless I get a 96 model... :rolleyes:

What about a supercharger? :confused::confused::confused: :eek:
    <|>
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    CrBoy wrote:
    front doors so bye bye to the SR6500 unless I get a 96 model...

that's what dremel's, zip guns, and die grinders are for.

superchargers are nice :)

Kenne Belle makes great stuff... but the same rules apply, if you're going to supercharge your motor, you best be sure the bottom end can hold up. Supercharger dumps air in just like a Turbo, only difference is the way they generate that forced air... their basic effect on the motor is the same.
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    i personally prefer a turbo over a blower, though that opinion is based solely on theory, not on any actual experience with superchargers...

and pbd's right, you need to do the same reinforcement and so on with a blower, so that doesn't help any...

and just get a custom 'glass job done in your doors, that'll hold the SRs pretty easily :p... or the boring way, cut bigger holes...

• skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    You don't have to worry about superchargers spooling up to get the extra power. And 6 psi from a supercharger is definitely do-able. Not to mention it would be more reliable, big plus for a daily driver. If they make a supercharger for your car I would say go for it over a turbo unless some day you want it to "decimate all".
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    I like turbos better, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    supercharger is easier to install though... you can dump one on a small block chrysler and throw 4 to 5 pounds of boost on it and VOOM... do the whole job in an afternoon (if you have all the parts there), and its basically bolt on and go. 50% increase in horse, no problem... and 340's, 360's, and most, but not all, 318's don't need to be re-inforced any... they'll take it as is. pricetag at 4-large for the unit and hardware sucks.
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    I like turbos better, too.

TURBOS SUCK!!

Twin-Screw Superchargers are the way to go!! (Whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen, etc.)
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    TURBOS SUCK!!

No, they blow! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    so, anything happening here?

• PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    apparently not.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    ..a lot of typing...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    wait wait wait... something is going to happen, I'm looking for the car right now, a Jetta GLS, I should have it in a week or so, and after that I'll start getting the turbo work done.

Buying/finding a car in good condition here is not so easy so it takes time, bear with me!

Once I get it i'll post some pics :D
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    cool!

• CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    Jajaja!!!! Looks like the Jetta is on the way, a Jetta Trek 96, Black!
    I have to sign some papers and I should have it by the end of the day :D:D

Yuju! :D:D:D:D
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    SWEET! take pictures!

• PolkThug
    edited January 2006