Looking for opinions on 1st DIY speaker

royale
royale Posts: 4
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hello all. I am looking to upgrade my current KLH model pro41 front speakers.Wew hew, well these were my first speakers I ever bought. They are good for a back yard bash but thats about it.They are too big for one and for two they dont have the sound quality I am looking for. I am looking to build a speaker with 2 6.5" midwoofer and 1 tweeter. I have a sub so low bass is not needed. A few models that caught my eye were Polk's RTi8 and r50 floor standing speakers. Now I am able to build the cabinets without any problems in my dads wood working shop.Would I be better off building a set of bookshelf speakers first? Then later on down the line I could use them as rear speakers. The only speaker I have that I would like to keep is my polk cs250 center channel speaker. So if I built a speaker that would match the sound of that it would be a plus. Right now i am in thought mode, obtaining the drivers shouldnt be a problem as long as I know what I am looking for and the cabinet wont be a threat, but the crossover is going to be the biggest problem unless I buy one that is made. I can solder good and follow scematics good too so it will be possible to build one though.I just ordered a speaker building book so untill I get to read that I will be checking on here occasionally to see what you all think. Thanks for your time and knowledge. Later Mike
Post edited by royale on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2006
    I would suggest starting with speaker kits. The kits usually include the drivers and crossover components. All you gotta do is build the box and put it together. Lots of fun. Check out www.madisound.com and www.partsexpress.com and speakbuilder.net for kits. Plenty of other websites sell kits as well. Just google "DIY speakers." If you have the talent and resources, go wild and build all of your speakers, including the subwoofer. Oh yeah, forget about matching your center channel.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • royale
    royale Posts: 4
    edited January 2006
    I found a kit at partsexpress that looks like what I want to build Dr. K's MTM. It uses 1 Dayton RS28A-4 tweeter and 2 Dayton RS180S-8 woofers per side. How will these match up to the old KLH speakers? Has anyone ever built or heard a set of these speakers? The parts will come to over 300$ without the cabinets.Will they be worth it? Thanks for your help. Mike