Cody! I think I found an amp big enough for ya!

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
ces2k6-6.jpg
ces2k6-5.jpg

4 channel, Class AB. Supposed to be 15,000 watts!
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    hmm...I'm going to have to go out on a limb and say thats a little TOO big...even for my needs...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    Now we can power 2 mtx jackhammers with ease and communicate with elephants at 10hz from 5 miles away!! It's so exciting.

really though i just don't see the point
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • exalted512
    edited January 2006
    skydeaner wrote:
    really though i just don't see the point
    because they can?
    -Cody
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    Yeah I guess showin off is what it's all about for most peoples.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2006
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2006
    I would take bets on how long a car's battery lives with that beast.

Hmmm ok so 12v amp 15000 watt RMS @ 4 channel so 60000 watts at 12 volts. Ok breakout the OHM law table I=P/E so 60000/12 eek = 5000 amps :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Give me a F'ing break there's not a 12volt car battery that will give you 5000amp @ 12 volts.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Give me a F'ing break there's not a 12volt car battery that will give you 5000amp @ 12 volts.

Thats why a bank of batteries weighing 1000 pounds is added to show cars.
    They aren't really driveable, just showable.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2006
    Ok learn something every day.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Its made for SPL competitions where top competitors are routinely running 5000-10,000 watts.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    and said competitors must trailer their vans to competiton because they weigh thousands of pounds too much...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2006
    Show no Go cars I hate them.....

Thanks for the info you will never catch me walking around one of those shows.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    and said competitors must trailer their vans to competiton because they weigh thousands of pounds too much...

Its not their weight that is the reason theyre trailered but rather theyre not driveable anymore!

disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Show no Go cars I hate them.....

Thanks for the info you will never catch me walking around one of those shows.

Why? If you did I bet youd enjoy it. Seeing a car pull up in the lanes and hit 160 db's is pretty damn cool.

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Why? If you did I bet youd enjoy it. Seeing a car pull up in the lanes and hit 160 db's is pretty damn cool.
    When I went to a giant car show during the summer there was a little group of spl cars. One of them there was this totally gutted / modified civic. The guy said it was the loudest car in bc at the moment. It was hitting in the 160's( I think 160's maybe he said 170? can't remember exactly...) and it was kinda cool but I got much more enjoyment out of the other things like when they fired up the drag bikes. Made the big mistake of standing BEHIND the bike - totally bad idea. The exhaust just burns the eyes and it was the loudest thing I think I've ever heard...

Wonder what that amp cost to build?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    michael_w wrote:

Not as much as they're charging for it. That's usually a pretty good rule of thumb. ;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited January 2006
    a lot of spl cars have to be driveable...
    -Cody
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2006
    michael_w wrote:
    When I went to a giant car show during the summer there was a little group of spl cars. One of them there was this totally gutted / modified civic. The guy said it was the loudest car in bc at the moment. It was hitting in the 160's( I think 160's maybe he said 170? can't remember exactly...) and it was kinda cool but I got much more enjoyment out of the other things like when they fired up the drag bikes. Made the big mistake of standing BEHIND the bike - totally bad idea. The exhaust just burns the eyes and it was the loudest thing I think I've ever heard...

Just stand next to a Nitro burning Funny Car in the pits at a drag race and let me know what the loudest thing is after he blips the throttle. Then be in the front row when 2 of them take off down the dragstrip.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2006
    I've done that before too but not as loud as these two bikes. They were those fancy top fuel ones (the kind that'll do a quarter in 6 seconds). Standing about 10 feet behind it when they're reving the bike.... the idle isn't super loud but as soon as they hit the throttle it's just painfully loud. (not so great on the ears :( )
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    But none of those are as loud as a world champion SPL car. We're talking 165-180 db's here! Thats enough to kill a person instantly!

The bikes and drag engines seem louder because theyve got more high end frequencies which hurt the ears more but they cant touch a good SPL car.

I mean a jet engine taking off is only 150 db's! You can find 150 db cars at any local competition. An ambulance siren which can deafen you it seems is only 125 db's.

There is a big difference in hearing a noise loud enough to hurt your ears and FEELING a noise that hurts your kidneys! ;)

• exalted512
    edited January 2006
    if youre inside my boss's s-10 when he burps it, you have to hold your breath, otherwise itll knock it out of you, and he only hits 159. Get in a the pioneer truck that does 180 and youll literally die.
    -Cody
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    But none of those are as loud as a world champion SPL car. We're talking 165-180 db's here! Thats enough to kill a person instantly!
    ;)

Ok Mac,

You got me thinking this stuff is really KooL. So if you have any Florida show that you are in the show, please PM me so I maybe able to see you and the show OK ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    SPL is cool and all... but it's kind of a novelty that wears off after a short while for me. In the end, I want to be able to hear things in my music I've never heard before... Instead of not being able to hear the music at all through the bass... But that's just my preference :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    if youre inside my boss's s-10 when he burps it, you have to hold your breath, otherwise itll knock it out of you, and he only hits 159.
    -Cody

Wow. Now that's saying something.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Ok Mac,

You got me thinking this stuff is really KooL. So if you have any Florida show that you are in the show, please PM me so I maybe able to see you and the show OK ;)

I dont compete in SPL Steve. Im all about SQ. Here is a link to USACi's event schedule. They have 2 shows in Florida in February and probably more as the year goes on. Its free to walk in as a spectator. Go check em out if you can. I bet youll enjoy watching a good SPL shootout.
    nadams wrote:
    SPL is cool and all... but it's kind of a novelty that wears off after a short while for me. In the end, I want to be able to hear things in my music I've never heard before... Instead of not being able to hear the music at all through the bass... But that's just my preference

SPL isnt about good sound quality, its a totally different animal. Kind of like saying you dont care for drag racing because you prefer a Cadilac to drive down the road. SPL isnt about audio much at all really. Most championship level SPL cars have only subs and amps, thats it. One of the guys that competes down here locally and routinely hits 160+ uses a hollowed out CRX with a bad **** box, 4 10's and a bunch of amps. He doesnt even have a head unit inside the car. He mounts it to a poteum outside the car when he pulls up to the lane. And while that car could never reproduce the subtle breath in Rebecca Pidgeon's vocals, it can make the ground under your feet vibrate and thats just cool! ;)

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    Mac- I'm not saying it's worthless... I'm just saying I wouldn't spend my money on it. Kind of like drag racing... Fast cars are cool, but if I'm dumping that much money into a ride, I want it to be streetable
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    edited January 2006
    SPL is a lot more complicated than people think. I would says its easily harder than SQ. SPL has TONS of physics involved. You should see the insides of some of these guys boxes. Theres tons of angles in them. SQ is all about placement and tuning and what sounds good. While it can be hard, I would still say its easier than SPL
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    SPL is a lot more complicated than people think. I would says its easily harder than SQ. SPL has TONS of physics involved. You should see the insides of some of these guys boxes. Theres tons of angles in them. SQ is all about placement and tuning and what sounds good. While it can be hard, I would still say its easier than SPL
    -Cody

HA! Just wait til you start competing in SQ! Not only is SQ much more expensive but its a lot harder. Hitting 180 db is definitely extremely hard to do. Hitting 150-160 aint. It takes a lot of skill and know-how definitely but getting a system to reproduce an accurate soundtage, and accurate tonal qualities in an environment that couldnt be worse for those things if they intintionally designed it to be.

Not only are half your speakers way too close to you while the others are way too far but youve got all kinds of hard, reflective surfaces that distort and color all thru the frequency range.

Just wait til you have a competant SQ judge sit in your car and start pointing out problems in areas you didnt even know you had and then try to figure out how to correct them. Youll see.

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2006
    Ok, looking forward to perhaps seeing your SQ show in Bradenton, Fl Saturday 2/18/06 @ 3pm. I will need to work out some details on my end like work weekend schedule, but I think its 90%/10% ok.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    HA! Just wait til you start competing in SQ! Not only is SQ much more expensive but its a lot harder. Hitting 180 db is definitely extremely hard to do. Hitting 150-160 aint. It takes a lot of skill and know-how definitely but getting a system to reproduce an accurate soundtage, and accurate tonal qualities in an environment that couldnt be worse for those things if they intintionally designed it to be.

Not only are half your speakers way too close to you while the others are way too far but youve got all kinds of hard, reflective surfaces that distort and color all thru the frequency range.

Just wait til you have a competant SQ judge sit in your car and start pointing out problems in areas you didnt even know you had and then try to figure out how to correct them. Youll see.
    egh, id still stick with my original statement.

Much more expensive?
    Amps cost money, when you have 6 of em and youre only competing in 0-1000 thats pretty expensive. Batteries? The kinetic bank is 1200 bucks. Wire? 0awg is pretty expensive...Subs? SPL subs get pretty expensive. MDF aint cheap and youll rebuild a box many times over before you get it where you want it.

Most of all, you dont push your amps/subs/mids/highs to their limits in SQ. You do in SPL...push stuff to their limits too long and they break. That $500 amp you bought...you have to get another one. And SPL usage isnt under warranty...

You can test speakers in different positions without making it permanent, but you cant do that in spl. You have to make a new box everytime something isnt right. The only thing thats interchangeable is the port, but youll find out port length is about 5% of the box in SPL.

150-160 aint hard? Of course not, but there are power classes. 160 in 0-1000, i assure, is very hard.

I've done enough research on both to come to the conclusion that I have. I'm not saying SQ is easy, not by a long shot, but when compared to SPL, I think it falls short
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Ok, looking forward to perhaps seeing your SQ show in Bradenton, Fl Saturday 2/18/06 @ 3pm. I will need to work out some details on my end like work weekend schedule, but I think its 90%/10% ok.

Sorry bro, forgot to tell ya, Im up here in Tennessee. I dont venture down to Florida too much. I may be at Spring Break Nationals in Daytona March 25-26th but thats it.

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2006
    Mac, that may work also Daytona is a bit closer then Bradenton anyway. Again need to check things on my end first.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer