is cold bad for car speakers?

2»

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    This thread has gotten out of hand. No need to be disrespectful towards each other.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2006
    Jstas, why do you always have to start? Everybody was being reasonably civil until you come in with the "assmonkey" comments. If you know so damn much, why don't you enlighten the people that don't instead of telling them they're talking out their ****? I enjoy the well heated argument once in a while on the forums as much as the next guy, but you seem to start one every thread. Ease up, son!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    actually, cam - and this is the only comment i'll make in this thread - that is a very bad way to respond to someone as intelligent as jstas... he may be an ****, but he will tear you to shreds if you don't back yourself up...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    that is a very bad way to respond to someone as intelligent as jstas... he may be an ****, but he will tear you to shreds if you don't back yourself up...

i agree with Neo, don't play with fire, it'll burn ya if you don't have a clue.

... personally i think "assmonkey", "asshat", and some of the other more creative pet names he's come up with are a PG-13 way of addressing those who choose to nurse off of the male anatomy (ya, think about that for a second).

god knows its a whole lot better than saying "shut the f*** up".

mix some Darwinism with some intellectual based ideology Fascism and progress is bound to be in the forecast.

and in case i said it too nicely earlier... but may the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your "happy place" Cam... and may Advantix be taken off the market at the same time.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    I have yet to see a thread that jstas has posted in that he was not being a ****. No matter what people have to say in a post.

He always has a smartass comment to say. Look everyone has there right to voice there opion in these forum's. If you don't like what someone says just move on. No need to be a **** about it.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2006
    The only time I've had speakers fail in the cold was many years ago. The foam surrounds would tear on my subs, and the same thing happened to a friend of mine. When I later worked at a shop we saw it on occasion. Other than that I haven't seen failures that could be blamed on the cold. But I don't turn up my stereo until I'm out of my neighborhood anyway...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    Thom wrote:
    But I don't turn up my stereo until I'm out of my neighborhood anyway...

... just being polite? or scared of the locals wanting to nab your stuff while you're sleeping?

i've got a friend who is so paranoid he won't play his stereo anywhere but the highway pretty much. constantly "thief terrified".
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited January 2006
    ^i can agree with the theif terrified, i dont have expensive stuff in my car, it would probably cost more to repair the damage they did breaking into the car...

and not that im an expert or anything, but i notice that my speakers sound muffled in the cold, until the car heats up a bit, i thought it might have to do with the suspensions being stiff in the cold, or that my speakers need more time to "snooze" in the colder mornings... like I do :)
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2006
    ... just being polite? or scared of the locals wanting to nab your stuff while you're sleeping?

i've got a friend who is so paranoid he won't play his stereo anywhere but the highway pretty much. constantly "thief terrified".

More polite, I guess. The 4 foot Polk Audio logos kind of give away the fact that there's a stereo in it. I just figure I don't need my neighbors hating me for no reason. I should at least get to talk to them before they do...

A couple times over the years the green hatch has been broken into, but nothing taken. So far the alarm has done it's job.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    geen one's the wife's car right? u still compete with that don't you?

whats your current fleet consist of?