how to hook up a capacitator

fortytha12gauge
fortytha12gauge Posts: 47
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bougt a capicitator about 2 weeks ago it memphis audio brand. How do i wire it up and is it suppose to stay on constanly? Unfortunaly the cap. didnt come with a manuel so im not sure if im correct.
Shadow Inc records
Post edited by fortytha12gauge on

Comments

• skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    positive cable from battery to postive post, postive post to amp. Negative post of cap to ground.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • fortytha12gauge
    edited January 2006
    the cap is draining my battery what do i do?
    Shadow Inc records
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    There's no spot for a remote lead on it???
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    the cap is draining my battery what do i do?
    physically impossible, once the battery and cap are at equilbrium, they will not drain each other. Assuming both are in good working condition.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    what the hell is a "capacitator" anyway... I see this all over the internet, but can't find it in any books or dictionaries!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • fortytha12gauge
    edited January 2006
    new battery and cap
    Shadow Inc records
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    nadams wrote:
    what the hell is a "capacitator" anyway... I see this all over the internet, but can't find it in any books or dictionaries!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    In circa 600 BC, Thales of Miletus recorded that the Ancient Greeks could generate sparks by rubbing balls of amber on spindles. This is the triboelectric effect, the mechanical separation of charge in a dielectric. This effect is the basis of the capacitor.
  • skydeaner
    edited January 2006
    Did you charge the capacitor with a light bulb or resistor?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    my sarcasm was apparently lost on this group

i know perfectly well what a capacitor is, just not a capacitator...

In fact, I'm all too aware of capacitors due to this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

have seen many a motherboard taken out because of this, and actually just performed my first successful recap, with many more to come :o
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    well, you got me..should have read better :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • skydeaner
    edited January 2006
    Honestly if it's a new battery and cap and while your car is on your battery is going dead, then your alternator can't keep up with the current demands to keep the battery charged while your system is playing and you need to upgrade to a high output alternator.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    I suggest taking the cap back and getting a refund. You dont need em.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    i can't say you don't ever need one, cause it won't hurt, but reread those directions - battery (+) to cap (+), then to amp (+), and a separate cable from cap (-) to ground... you may have missed the charging of the cap phase, wherein you put a resistor (i don't remember the value) between the battery (+) and the cap (+)... you leave the resistor there for about 2 or 3 minutes, then remove it and reconnect the cable directly to the cap (+)... if your battery has been draining, this could potentially be very bad for your battery, but if the process seems to have stopped, then perhaps all will be well in the end... just be aware, now, that even if you remove the cap it will still have a charge, and you do not want to short those terminals, the cap could explode... yes, EXPLODE... just wanted to make sure you got that...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs