Online Banks

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone clients with any of the online banks like ingdirect.com or emigrant.com? They seem to offer some pretty good annual interest rates on savings accounts. I see them basically as essentially very short term CDs. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has anything at all to say about them.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• Burnzy
    Burnzy Posts: 250
    edited January 2006
    Yeah, I have three accounts w/INGDirect. It's hard to beat their interest rates. So far, so good...

:)
    SYSTEM
    HDTV ..........Sony KP-57WV600
    CD / DVD......Sony DVP-C675D
    AVR ............Denon 2801
    MAINS .........Polk RTi8
    CENTER .......Polk CSi5
    Surrounds ....Polk FXi3
    Sub ............Polk PSW-250
    Cables.........Zebra Cables
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2006
    Any complaints at all? Their rates are really outstanding, I really think it would be wise to move some of my savings to them.

Is ING really, truly fee free?
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2006
    Capital One - 4% for savings. It is so easy, you link your main checking account to it to move mony back and forth and you manage it all online. The only drawback for the savings account is that it takes a few days to move money so if you really need cash quick it could be a problem.
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2007
    Just an update.

I signed up with emigrantdirect.com. Its been very simple and just what I had hoped for. Easy to set up the account. You just have to answer the questions typical of setting up a bank account. You tie the checking account of one of your banks to the Emigrant account. You can schedule transfers, both one time and recurring. It takes about 1.5 to 2 business days before the transfer is made into the online account. From then, you can't touch the money for another week. Its gaining interest, but you can't move it back again for a full week. The interest accrued is deposited at the end of the month. So, that means its compounded monthly right? Anyways. Also you can download reports for Microsoft Money or Quicken. Oh, and the one time I called their CS, they were great.

So now you know.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    I went with ING and couldn't be happier. Despite the small delay it takes to move money around it doesn't really matter to me since it's "savings" anyway.

Now if only a bank would pay 4.5% a month on my money, and not 4.5% a year.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    I like to put a face and a handshake with that kind of banking. Can't beat the rates, but I want to be able to go somewhere when I have an issue. That's worth the smaller interest rates in a general savings account.

I'm not that way with everything, since I'm insured through Progressive personally, but even there I have a local rep that I can meet with at any time.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2007
    I have an ING direct account, but transferred all of my money over to my newly opened emigrantdirect.com account last week. Emigrant's rate is something like 5.05%, I think, compared to ING's 4.5%.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2007
    Have any of you checked out the Money Market 'Savings' (technically checking) accounts at your local banks? They tend to pay a much higher interest rate, especially with a $10,000 daily balance.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    Demi, Demi, Demi, How many people here do you think maintain a $10K balance and don't have an appropriate saving mechanism? Remember, our "savings" rate is negative... ;)

Great advice though...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, i do that with Wachovia, but the "High performance Money Market" hasn't been too high performance the last few months. Maybe 3%?

...Versus the 5.4% in the CD, but I will say that it's nice to be able to just bump over some cash into the money market account at any time. I'll probably roll a big chunk of it into the CD once we get some more stacked up there.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Demi, Demi, Demi, How many people here do you think maintain a $10K balance and don't have an appropriate saving mechanism? Remember, our "savings" rate is negative... ;)

Great advice though...

:p Good point! :p