okay... my temp amp for the DB104's

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
My brother's got this amp that he's had for a few years. It's nothing special, but it drove some Rockford Fosgate 15's he had for awhile without too much issue. I figure it'll be better than my Jensen 'til I can afford the Profile AP1000M

It's the Rockwood Tarantula... it's no longer on their website, but I found the specs through archive.org

Max. Power Output: 250W x2Ch=500W (@2 Ohm)
Power Output: 110W x 2Ch=220W(@2 Ohm)
85W x 2Ch.=170W(@4 Ohm)
Mono 220W Bridged
Full Night Illumination
Built-in Crossover (High & low Pass Filter)
Variable Low Pass Filter
Variable Gain Control
Power LED Indicator
Dual Protection Circuit Speaker Short Circuit + Thermal
Protection LED Indicator
RCA Line Out
Dimensions: 11.65"(W) x 2.36"(H) x 11.8"(L)

I'm going to try to run it bridged at 2ohms, so we'll see how it goes....
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• nadams
    edited January 2006
    By the way, the "full night illumination" is just a few cheezy blue LEDs soldered here and there on the board, under the plexy top.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    If you try to run a 2 ohm load in bridged mode your going to fry that amp. A amp can only handle a 4 ohm load in bridged mode. Unless of course you have a amp that is 1 ohm stable.
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    actually with that old of an amp you will probably blow the speakers before you fry the amp running it at that load. It will clip like a mofwackle and keep producing more power and then poof, there goes the db's. You need either a 4 channel amp or a mono amp capable of 2 ohms into one channel. That's it. Although even without bridging it and just running one sub to each of the 2 channels it will sound shitloads better than the jensen :)
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • nadams
    edited January 2006
    skydeaner- but at 4 ohms in stereo, it's only rated 10 watts more than the jensen... And as far as I know, it's not exactly a top-quality amp, either. All I can tell y'all is that it drove two RF 15's (old 15's too... dunno what model, and they got stolen). We'll find out in a day or two how it stacks up to the Jensen. It is certainly larger.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Hell, if its free ya cant really **** about it. Sure it aint the best amp in the world but its got the best price! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    That jensen amp is a better amp.
  • nadams
    edited January 2006
    Well, you were all right... couldn't get the Rockwood to sound as good as my Jensen. That.... sucks, basically. So I've just got to save up for the AP1000M

It was worth my time to try, anyway.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited January 2006
    I thought you said rockFORD... my bad. Well poopie, yeah I would save up for a different amp. You can have my directed 1500d email me if you are interested, cause it's the 4th and I still haven't paid rent... hehe. anyways, email is admin@sprawlmall.com It puts out 800 watts rms at 2 ohms. and 1100 at 1 ohm

or chat with me on AIM my name is skydeanusaf17
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    Jensen is better than RockWOOD.

RockWOOD is a flea market brand - that's no lie. It's a knock off of RockFORD Fosgate.

Jensen, while low priced and ****, is still a reputable company.

I'd send the RockWOOD to the dumpster and use the Jensen until you get some cash.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • nadams
    edited January 2006
    Currently in line for that Directed 1500d. It'd be a bit overkill at 800watts@2ohms, but I can just watch the gains and try not to beat the subs too much. That's if I can get it :) I have bills to pay, too....
    Ludicrous gibs!