Mmc6500

crdickey
crdickey Posts: 1
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have just replaced a set of Clarion component speakers with the Polk MMC 6500 and had everything wired by the book and they sounded good. Then about 1/2 hour of playing the music shut off and was replaced by a loud chirping sound. I have another set of Clarions powered off the same amp and they have no sound either but no chirping either. The Amp is a Clarion APX400.4M 200W (50Wx4) and has been faultless for a year. If I had blown the fuse in the Amp I shouldn't hear any chirping.

Crossover is wired to tweeter in / single input / tweeter output to the tweeter and woofer output to the 6.5".

Only thing I'm unsure of is if I switched the pos and neg inputs from the Amp to the crossover.

Ideas?
Post edited by crdickey on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    switching the (+) and (-) outputs wouldn't do a thing, unless you only did it on one channel, and even then it would only mess with the imaging, not make a popping sound... if it does it with a known-good pair of speakers, the next suspect is the amp... if you have one available, swap in a known-good amp and see if the sound goes away... if it does, you know that the amp is the culprit, and if the chirp is still there, you know it's the headunit...

naturally, you should first ensure you have good connections on all wires, especially where the ground cable meets the chassis, it should be very tight on bare metal...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    Neo is right if you had the outputs crossed it would not hurt a thing. Now it might not sound as good but no chirping noise like your describing. I would say it's the amp causing the problem because all four speakers are not working. I would first check your ground to make sure it's not loose and has a good connection. I have seen grounds cause people a lot of headache's. If it's not the ground i would replace the amp and see if it fixes the problem.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Sounds like a short and most likely in the speaker wire.

Check the connections to the amp first and make sure no strands of one wire are touching the strands of another wire. Then pull out the speaker and check the same thing.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2006
    I would also give a good inspection to the crossovers on the speakers or tweeters if they are there. Look for a blown capacitor (supposed to look like a tiny can, but exploded will see two wires and a mess of fibers) Or a bad solder joint on the speaker.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    I'm going to guess head unit. Don't know why, but I am...:D

Hope you get your problem solved!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520