Profile AP1000 for my subs

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
what do you guys think of the Profile AP1000 amp? Would it be good to run my two DB104's?

160 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (240 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
480 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
variable filters (low-pass from 50-250 Hz, high-pass from 80-1200 Hz, at 12 dB per octave)
variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 45 Hz)
stereo or bridged mono output
Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
preamp- and speaker-level inputs
preamp outputs
fuse rating: 30A x 2
4-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
12-1/2"W x 2-1/16"H x 10-5/16"D
warranty: 3 years

It's obviously rated a lot better than my Jensen xa275, which is 75watts rms @ 4 ohms... but the only problem with the AP1000 is that it's no 2 ohm stable if I decided to bridge it. However, I've always run my subs in stereo straight off the amp...
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    It would run them, and it probably would sound pretty good stereo like that to keep the distortion down on that profile, but how much could you get that profile for? We might be able to find you a better deal with a little more power since the 104's are rated at at about 100 watts more than that amp would be putting out. And trust me they can handle it. I have the 124's and I have put every bit of their rms value on them.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Ditto what he said. I bet that Profile is a pretty solid little amp for its price, but you can find something better suited to your application.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • skydeaner
    edited December 2005
    pretty much what you need to look for is a mono class d amp, they will all run at 2 ohms and put out a lot of wattage for a little dough. http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2307 this amp is a refurb, but comes with a 6 month warranty and it would give 400 to each of those 10's... probably a little too much, but you could set the gains really low and it would sound good. If you want to go up in price about 50 bucks you can get hifonics BX1000D's for about 160-175 range. Its either a class d mono, or a 4-channel bridgable that you need to be looking for though if you want to get the most out of two 4 ohm subs.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, for dual SVC subs you really need a Class D amp to take care of things.

Profile is a good amp. Theyre not fancy or flashy but they will make their rated power cleanly and are built pretty solid. Theyre no MTX or PPI but theyre hard to beat for the buck. This AP1000M would work really well with those 2 10's and for $160 it is going to be hard to beat.

Stick to new gear from authorized dealers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    I can't believe people have the balls to order stuff from ike sound. Half the **** they sell don't work and if it does it will blow up in a week or two. A buddy of mine bought a alpine deck from them awhile back. The **** worked for about two days just died on him cold turkey no warning or nothing.
  • skydeaner
    edited December 2005
    sorry that happened with you cam, the only reason i recommended it is because the amp I ordered came with a 6 month warranty straight from DEI, so I don't know about other people experiences. Also I might add, it has put out well over its rated wattage and it has been performing like a champ for the past 1 and a half months. But if alpines factory doesn't refurbish things as well don't buy refurbished items from them, which is mainly what ikesound carries.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2005
    I'd be buying new from Crutchfield, regardless. I've always had good experiences with them, other than the pricing on some of their stuff....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • skydeaner
    edited December 2005
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2fV9iILnhZQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=698R7540A

thats a good deal and it has the perfect power rating
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Dont like Infinity amps at all. Or their speakers.

Dont like the build quality.

And I dont like refurbished crap. That just means they took the part that broke and duct taped it back together.

Buy the new in box gear. Youll be happy you did. The sweetness of a low price soon fades while the bitterness of poor quality remains.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    I don't like Infinity amps either there's too many great amp's out there to be wasting money on a Infinity amp. Infinity speakers are okay at best nothing to brag about that's for sure.