Polk SR 5250 for Super High End system

Winwin
Winwin Posts: 5
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I'm planning to use some of these speakers for the front stage of my competition system. Every single parameter of these speakers is perfect for my needs (and any good car!).

The goal is to compete locally and at international events. I was in Athens Greece, in the European Finals and couldn't see any Polk equipped car in competition. Maybe this is a good chance.

I just would like to know what's the crossover frequency reported by Polk to this system.

For me, the lower the better, but I suppose it's nothing lower than 2.5K, given the 680Hz resonance frequency of the orig. tweet. I don't have the chance to measure it by myself before I buy them.

Thanks
Post edited by Winwin on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Welcome to the Club.

The crossover is set at 3100 Hz. I wouldnt go any lower than that. The Polk engineers are pretty smart fellas and they spent a lot of time and work figuring out which combination worked best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited December 2005
    You could probably make it down to 2.5khz with a really steep slope, but I found better blending at 5khz with an 18db slope. Yours may be differeent. As I am using the db6510 as my mids. However, I see no need to go down to 2.5khz since you'll be running 5.25" speakers, they should be able to handle highs better than the 6.5".
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • The Swede
    The Swede Posts: 25
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Welcome to the Club.

The crossover is set at 3100 Hz. I wouldnt go any lower than that. The Polk engineers are pretty smart fellas and they spent a lot of time and work figuring out which combination worked best.

Yes this is very true with the crossovers and that the engineers of POLK know what they are doing and testing but under witch conditions are this things tested ?

In a car ?
    or mayby
    Inside a house in a testingroom ?
    and if so, the conditions must be different in a car or am I wrong.
    The Swede

Car Hifi Setup
    CD-player : Pioneer DEX P90RS
    Processor : Pioneer DEQ P90
    Amplifiers : 2 x POLK MOMO C400.4
    Tweeters : New SR Tweeter
    Middrange : POLK SR 5250
    Subwoofer : POLK MOMO Carbon series 8" ( Front )
    Subwoofer : POLK MOMO Carbon series 12" ( Trunk )

Home Theater System
    TV : Pioneer 42" Plasma
    Amplifier/Reciever : H/K AVR 630
    Front : Polk Lsi9
    Center : Polk LSiC
    Surrounds : Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer : PSW 404
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2005
    There's no one right way to do an install because everyone's car conditions are going to be different. Adjust the speaks to however you like them soundin in your car, because someone having a passeger car wil have a much different result than someone who has a truck.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Im pretty confident that the Polk engineers, when designing their first ever, top of the line, flagship CAR speakers, would give a little consideration as to how they sound in a car. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod got guru status.... ****. j/k. Anyways. I wouldn't go any lower on the crossover if you don't want it to effect that power handling capability. As for sq, if you don't plan on playing them all that loud, then adjust them however you want. I wouldn't go below double the fs. Really though reflections inside the car can change everything in the crossover range so much that it is hard say what the ideal frequency is, even though it isn't as effected as the even higher frequencies that bouce off everything. Really it is just going to be tuning to your ear... and the judges that make the call. Lots of experimenting is in store for you, what kind of car/truck do you have?
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • Winwin
    edited December 2005
    It's for a small hatchback car. It's a revolutionary concept, the ultimate goal is to win the European finals.
  • Peter J
    Peter J Posts: 29
    edited December 2005
    I would listen to how it sound and then laborate with levels and crossover settings than listen to a guru. If you wont try you will never learn either.
    I have the SR6500 kit i miy car and my settings are 40Hz Hp/24db and 5030Hz/24db
    And that works relly fine by me and it doesent break up ore anything like that.
    Just try and make your own oppinion!
    At the next European final in Switzerland it probably will come cars with Polk SR from Sweden in the Pro classes.
    A simple system = Pure music!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, why listen to somebody that knows the product. Go ahead and crank em down to 2000 Hz and see how they sound. Just think of what youll learn. Youll get first hand experience of what a burning tweeter smells like.

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Ya know, it's been a while since I've been involved in anything 'revolutionary'.......I'm all for this Win.....I say you do whatever you want and let us know whatcha take home from the prize pool.... :D
  • The Swede
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah, why listen to somebody that knows the product. Go ahead and crank em down to 2000 Hz and see how they sound. Just think of what youll learn. Youll get first hand experience of what a burning tweeter smells like.
    Sorry if you have taken any offence but who has been talking about tweetes with does figures. What we talked about is the middrange spreaker. Correct me if I´m wrong.
    In my setup the crossover for the SR tweeter is 4 kHz/-12db and I don´t se any problem with that.
    The Swede

Car Hifi Setup

Home Theater System
  • The Swede
    edited December 2005
    brettw22 wrote:
    Ya know, it's been a while since I've been involved in anything 'revolutionary'.......I'm all for this Win.....I say you do whatever you want and let us know whatcha take home from the prize pool.... :D

Yes and we will let you guyes know how it runs in the future with the competitions and how many trophys we will be able to take.

Buy the way I got in second place at the Swedish Finals i November in a class called Pro 40 Light witch means that you can have car audio equipment in your car for approx. 5000 US dollars.
    The Swede

Car Hifi Setup

Home Theater System
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    I would just use the crossover with mine if i had a set. Thats a outstanding crossover that comes with the sr's. Polk know's what sound best with there speakers. If you bypass that crossover chance's are your going to burn the hell out of that tweeter.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    The Swede wrote:
    who has been talking about tweetes with does figures. What we talked about is the middrange spreaker. Correct me if I´m wrong.
    Winwin wrote:
    I just would like to know what's the crossover frequency reported by Polk to this system. For me, the lower the better, but I suppose it's nothing lower than 2.5K, given the 680Hz resonance frequency of the orig. tweet.

That ^ is the original post and question. I took that as wanting to know the crossover frequency of the tweeters and so Ive been talking about tweeters the whole time. ;)

4500 Hz is fine. My whole point was not to go messing with it too much especially by going lower. The SR's manaul plainly states not to go below 3500 Hz as it could damage the tweeters. Higher than 3500 is fine.

• The Swede
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    That ^ is the original post and question. I took that as wanting to know the crossover frequency of the tweeters and so Ive been talking about tweeters the whole time. ;)

4500 Hz is fine. My whole point was not to go messing with it too much especially by going lower. The SR's manaul plainly states not to go below 3500 Hz as it could damage the tweeters. Higher than 3500 is fine.

Sorry, as I read the hole thread again it all came clear, I got the wrong picture in the beginning. As I said before sorry wasn´t my intention to upset anyone. You 100% right !!!
    The Swede

Car Hifi Setup

Home Theater System
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    We'll get along just fine as long as you rememer, Im always right! But dont feel bad, my wife forgets that all the time too. :D:p

• Winwin
    edited January 2006
    Well, my Scan Speaks D2905/970000 can handle 150w easily at 1.6Khz 18db/oct. But thats a completely different story...

I'll see what I can do...

Thanks
  • Peter J
    Peter J Posts: 29
    edited January 2006
    Winwin wrote:
    Well, my Scan Speaks D2905/970000 can handle 150w easily at 1.6Khz 18db/oct. But thats a completely different story...

Thanks

If you have this tweeters you would be stupid if you dont use it. This is one of the best tweeters in the the whole industri!! They are quit big but you have to sacrifice something :cool:

Where are you from?
    A simple system = Pure music!
  • The Swede
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    We'll get along just fine as long as you rememer, Im always right! But dont feel bad, my wife forgets that all the time too. :D:p
    Then I realy pitty your wife if she always is wrong and you are always right. :):) Jesus what a life that must be. :cool:
    We´ll get along just fine. I think that a little fresh air couldn´t hurt, with perhaps some new ideas and solotions from the other side of the big lake.
    The Swede

Car Hifi Setup

Home Theater System
  • pmrosendo
    pmrosendo Posts: 8
    edited January 2006
    Winwin wrote:

Thanks
    Let´s start from the beggining.

I've already listened to the SR6500 in the future Portuguese PolkAudio SQ competition car.

They were installed just to start "cracking" them and so they can be ready for this summer. Of course that much work is still to be done but it's starting to sound beautiful since right now the project only has the SR's and a small 8" subwoofer upfront.

We are using Alpine F#1 source unit together with the sound processor but we still use the passive cross-over's without modifications.

The other car we have is a 3 way setup so we miss a bit the "voice" of the midrange, however the other one is practically all built on fiber-glass so the reflections are huge and the sound absorption is practically none, making the sound a bit agressive.

Check my signature to see the 3 way setup.
    .:Pedro Rosendo:.
    .....:TWINGO:.....
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited January 2006
    pmrosendo wrote:
    Let´s start from the beggining.

I've already listened to the SR6500 in the future Portuguese PolkAudio SQ competition car.

They were installed just to start "cracking" them and so they can be ready for this summer. Of course that much work is still to be done but it's starting to sound beautiful since right now the project only has the SR's and a small 8" subwoofer upfront.

We are using Alpine F#1 source unit together with the sound processor but we still use the passive cross-over's without modifications.

The other car we have is a 3 way setup so we miss a bit the "voice" of the midrange, however the other one is practically all built on fiber-glass so the reflections are huge and the sound absorption is practically none, making the sound a bit agressive.

Check my signature to see the 3 way setup.

congrats, very nice install, (the best of the install is the blonde girl) :D
  • pmrosendo
    edited January 2006
    SamSagaZ wrote:
    congrats, very nice install, (the best of the install is the blonde girl) :D

Thanks, let's see what comes next.

You should have seen her in the flesh...
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited January 2006
    Rosendo where are you from?
  • pmrosendo
    edited January 2006
    SamSagaZ wrote:
    Rosendo where are you from?

I'm from Portugal. A small country on the left side of Europe, next to Spain.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    Portugese girls are sexy. This is a fact.

Here's an odd question - since we've got various countries in here now... This sounds really stupid, but I'm serious when I ask it, and I've got a good reason...

Is the US and Canada the only two countries with the small "square" licence plates? They're about 30 cm by 15 cm.

This is somewhat sterotyping - but everytime I see a movie that has the scene in Mexico, or South America, or Africa, or Eurpose, or Asia, all of the licence plates look almost 100 cm long and maybe only 10 cm high.

The reason I ask is that licence plate cutouts/brackets/or whatever you'd like to call them - mounting locations - are molded into the bumpers and fascias of cars. If a company is selling the same car in both North America and the rest of the world, then they would have to make two different bumpers for it, which is pretty costly.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • brettw22
    edited January 2006
    I don't think it's often that the same body paneled car is for sale across the board........
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    probably right on that
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    and a lot of cars have the little plastic thing on the front bumper at least thats removable. As far as license plates go, I would assume that other countries that arent divided into states dont have to put what country theyre from, hence why theyre not as tall. Since they probably have more ppl in 1 country than in one of our indiviual states, that would explain why there would be more letters and numbers, hence why theyre longer.

But mexico is divided, and their license plates are about the same as ours.

just a theory
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pmrosendo
    edited February 2006
    Portugese girls are sexy. This is a fact.

Here's an odd question - since we've got various countries in here now... This sounds really stupid, but I'm serious when I ask it, and I've got a good reason...

Is the US and Canada the only two countries with the small "square" licence plates? They're about 30 cm by 15 cm.

This is somewhat sterotyping - but everytime I see a movie that has the scene in Mexico, or South America, or Africa, or Eurpose, or Asia, all of the licence plates look almost 100 cm long and maybe only 10 cm high.

The reason I ask is that licence plate cutouts/brackets/or whatever you'd like to call them - mounting locations - are molded into the bumpers and fascias of cars. If a company is selling the same car in both North America and the rest of the world, then they would have to make two different bumpers for it, which is pretty costly.

They shure are (sexy girls, that is...)

Regarding the licence plates, in USA, CANADA and JAPAN there's a difference.
    You use small licence plates and therefore, small mounting locations.

The reason? Simply don't know.

Overhere it's not forbidden to use a license plate like your's (I had a JETTA, called BORA here, and swaped the trunk with an american guy. He got the European and I the American one. Stupid isn't it?)

This thread is dead.

I Think that WinWin got some FOCAL Berillyum's, this is just a guess...

Don't know if they're better than the SR's. :cool:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Interesting read. Don't know how I missed this thread.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520