series with 2 12" momos and Carbon 500.1?

eatsleepplayscc
eatsleepplayscc Posts: 27
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
MacLeod wrote:
Sure you can run series on a pair of SVC subs. Youd get a 8 ohm load.
is that bad? cause my subs are 4 ohms. What are ohms again? Would i be better off running a parrallel on 2 SVC subs or series on them? How many watts would each sub get on series?

I was told to redirect this site to car audio, so im guessing we're talking here
Post edited by eatsleepplayscc on

Comments

• skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    Ahhhh, well seeing as it wouldn't really matter if this were in a car or not...... but whatever. It doesn't matter what ohmage you get at the end as long as the amp can handle it. If you run it paralel you get a 2 ohm load and as long as the car amp can handle that, that would probably be the way to go. What kind of amp do you have?
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    Yeah it would take a fool to run two 4 ohm svc sub's in series unless you have the amp to back it up. You would definitaly want to run those sub's in parallel. Let's just say for instance you have a amp that puts out 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. Okay if you wire your subs in parallel each sub would get a 150 watts rms. Now lets say you wire them in series which would give you a 8 ohm load that would cut your power in half only giving each sub 75 watts rms. So it's probally in your best interest to wire those sub's in parallel.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Ohms are a measure of resistance and we use them to determine how much power we're going to get out of an amp. The more resistance an amp has, the less power it will make.

An amp will make full power at 0 ohms but will also burn itself up. Thats why amps are rated at certain impedances. An amp rated at 4 ohms mono will burn up if you run it at 2 ohms mono.

Now if you wire 2, 4 ohm SVC subs in parallel youll present a 2 ohm load. If you wire them in series youll present a 8 ohm load. The 2 ohm load will make much more power than an 8 ohm load.

Now take the Polk 500.1 amp that is rated at 500 watts total at 2 ohms mono. You take those 2 4 ohm SVC subs in parallel and the amp will get 2 ohms resistance and make 500 watts (250 to each sub). Now say you wire them in series, the amp will have 4 times the resistance and make about 150 watts (75 to each sub).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    an addendum to mac's post - amps don't 'have' resistance (not in this context), but they 'see' the resistance/impedance (synonyms in this context) of the subs, and various wiring options change that 'seen' resistance... and while an amp could theoretically make infinite power at zero ohms, a) zero ohms is a physical impossibility and b) the amp would, as mentioned, destroy itself long before then... but as a note, most amps have protection circuitry that will detect a low-resistance connection and act accordingly...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • eatsleepplayscc
    edited December 2005
    aite thanks alot guys, i appreciate it.
  • eatsleepplayscc
    edited December 2005
    I've been testing my system over n over again by configuring the high-pass and low-pass filter frequency settings, and i pretty much dont know what im doing! Anyone know some pretty good settings by past experiences for a Carbon 500.1 and 2 12"s polk momos setup? Any1 have any idea on their common setups?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    normally you set the highpass and lowpass filters at the same frequency and slope... the highpass filter is set for the fronts and the lowpass for the subs... a good starting point is 80 Hz or thereabouts, but you really do just have to play with it a bit...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    my pos kenwood 2x60rms amp only lets me set a 12db at 150hz highpass, i want to stab myself... :( someone give me an amp
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Neo's right. 80 Hz is a good starting point for both high and low pass. Start there and see how it sounds and then adjust til it sounds right to you.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D