Need some audio rack designs...

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited January 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Anyone know where I can find some good audio rack designs? I want to build one myself(trying to follow in dad's footsteps) and need some help. I'd really like something as basic as possible as I don't have much woodworking skills. I did manage to build some decent acoustic panels that turned out ok, so I have a little comfort in doing this. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Pump.

I also would be interested in such a project.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Just build a flexy rack, doesn't require much skill to do and comes out great. here is the link, I've got a picture of mine in my system, and am in the process of building another one.

Very flexible, you can build one that is two, three, four, five(mine), six...racks, you can have a three, four, or five leg design(mine), you can have standard shelves, staggered shelves, whatever you want to do with it.

Jared
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Build a stackable rack where each shelf is a separate unit like the one pictured below. I have a similar shelf and it's great when you need to take your system down and put it back again.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2005
    Options
    +1 on the flexirack. I did it w/ hardwood & hung the whole thing from the ceiling and it looks awesome. Total cost was under $100 for 6 nineteen inch component sized shelves and 3 fifty inch widescreen TV sized shelves.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think the DIY Flex type rack is a cool idea....easy and cheap. You can also customize it by using different woods, sleeves for the rods, different hardware, etc.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Awesome ideas. Thanks a ton.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Agreed. I know what I am doing this weekend now.
  • BrandonR
    BrandonR Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    Options
    It's made from solid Sapele and Purpleheart. I purchased the isolation spikes on the net. Was a lot of fun to do and can't wait to get everything in and begin using!!!

http://www.pbase.com/brandonrowe/audio_system
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Nice DK integrated.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    Options
    The Flexy table is a good design, and REAL easy to do. You could do the whole thing in half a day, then spend the rest of the day to brag to your friends about how handy with tools you are!
  • mhartman29
    mhartman29 Posts: 257
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Anyone know where to get the threaded stainless steel bars? I stopped by Home Depot today, but no luck.
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
    Signal Ultra speaker cables
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2008
    Options
    AKA: All thread rod. Should be available in most building supply (or plumbing supply) stores.
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Great, thank you!
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Options
    mhartman29 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the threaded stainless steel bars? I stopped by Home Depot today, but no luck.

Plumbing section, they HAVE to have it....probably one of the most commonly used items in plumbing other than pipes and fittings.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    Options
    How's that scotch BrandonR? Always interested in new scotches...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Options

Try McMaster-Carr. They have a great selection of threaded rod (some also call it all thread); any thread/diameter/material you should need. Also any hardware like washers, nuts. Much cheaper then HD, even with shipping, which for me has been overnight every time without extra charge.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I keep looking at racks I like and it reaffirms that I am going to build one! The prices are just too much for me to want to shell out. Plus, I can even buy BDI and a couple of other (more basic) furniture lines for cost and I still don't wanna pay it! I gotta get started on a Flexy rack as soon as I get this friggin demo vehicle out of my garage.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited January 2008
    Options
    One idea I would like to do someday is Get the shelves cut out of quarter inch clear safety glass. Then have blue leds shining from the side (drilled into the wood that makes up the sides of the rack). This will give the front edge of the shelf a blue glowing effect.
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Has anyone done this with the all thread as described on the tnt flexy table site? I picked up some all thread and I'm questioning how good this will look in the end. I love BrandonR's version, but that wouldn't be as easy to do.
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    Options
    If you get the basic all thread, I would paint it black or some matching color. You can always touch up the scuffed spots after you screw it all together. Or, get the black coated stuff that's all ready to go. That's what I'm deliberating on myself as I want the black all thread.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    That's a good idea. I was considering that as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a back for wire management?
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Has anyone done this with the all thread as described on the tnt flexy table site? I picked up some all thread and I'm questioning how good this will look in the end. I love BrandonR's version, but that wouldn't be as easy to do.

Yep. Check mine out here.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I remember seeing yours before. Absolutely stunning. I just spent the weekend trying to stain some birch plywood that I bought for the shelves. I wish I had 1/4 of your wife's skill to make mine look like yours!

Speaking of my setup, does anyone have any ideas how to stain the edges of the plywood? You can see the various layers of the wood and it isn't taking the stain very well. I'm hoping to find a way to cover that up.
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I remember seeing yours before. Absolutely stunning. I just spent the weekend trying to stain some birch plywood that I bought for the shelves. I wish I had 1/4 of your wife's skill to make mine look like yours!

Speaking of my setup, does anyone have any ideas how to stain the edges of the plywood? You can see the various layers of the wood and it isn't taking the stain very well. I'm hoping to find a way to cover that up.

You and me both. She'll tell me the steps, what to use, and expects me to follow. I'll stand there with the brush in my hand for an hour or so, staring at the project, mouth agape, 'itl she comes down and does it for me. I also ask a lot of stupid questions, repeatedly. I do the same thing when we're painting the house.

I don't know how well you're going to do staining the edge of plywood. You might try either some edge banding from a veneer supplier or getting a couple of pieces of solid birch in the correct thickness, cutting to fit, and gluing to the edges. Check out boywonder's thread on veneering Monitors in the Vintage Speakers section, what he did on the face of the cabinets is similar to what I'm talking about.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I've done both the above with pretty good success. If you use veneer, make sure you take your time & trim it well- otherwise it chips when you drag your gear on & off of it. Using the solid wood is more expensive, but I can do it just as fast as the veneer & it adds some strength.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Just a FYI for anyone in the same situation as me (staining plywood). I found some iron on veneer at HD called BandIt that seems to be working well so far. It was easy to apply and I can then stain the edges of the wood so that everything matches nicely.

http://www.band-itproducts.com/index.php?do=commerce:commercial_products:wood:edging:preglued
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm.....Now I have something to occupy my time, and a reason to make a mess in the garage....I'm thinking about designing some small speaker stands, like 6-10", for use on a desk or dresser. Steel, lost likely...
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Lasareath, as much as I think your mouse pad is the coolest thing ever, I was un aware that people still used mouse pads. Ya learn something every day.
  • BrandonR
    BrandonR Posts: 2
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The veneer option would probably be the best for the plywood edges. As for the staining itself I might suggest trying an oil-based stain. I have used "Mohawk" brand with pretty good success. The oil based will give good even coverage but more importantly it won't cause the grain to raise up and result in all the bumps. You may have to go to a woodworking store to find as most found in HD or Lowes like Minwax are probably water-based. Hope that helps some.

Take Care,

Brandon
  • mhartman29
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Nearing completion on my unit. I will post some pics if you promise not to compare it to anything that strider has done!

What did you all use for feet on the all thread? Just plain rubber feet? Did you use anything to absorb vibrations?
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs