DIY speaker cables...What to use and where to buy?

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I want to make some inexpensive speaker cables just for the heck of it. I don't want anything fancy or exotic, just something that looks decent and sounds good. What's the best speaker wire to use? I was thinking about some 14 ga 4 conductor wire. Do Lowes or Home Depot carry it? And if so, for how much? Thanks.
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If you're gonna make speaker cable, there's no point getting cheap wire and making them yourself. It's probably more cost effective to buy them. If you're gonna DIY, the point in doing so is to make a higher quality product at a relatively lower price. I'd suggest ebay for long runs of brand name wire. Then go to partsconnexion.com or partsexpress.com and get some decent bananas or spades. Good brand names for cable are Audioquest, DH Labs and Cardas.

If you really want to stay in the supercheap realm, use Canare star quad 4S11 cable (4x14awg). At about $.75/ft. you can even use it for bi-wiring.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MSkeezer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    What about the 14 ga in wall speaker wire from hometheaterdirect.com?

http://www.htd.com/speakercables.html
  • bmacker
    bmacker Posts: 18
    edited December 2005
    Options
    In my limited experience...the more you pay for cable is not necessarily benificial to your system or your ear.

When I purchased my Marantz SR-870 reciever the HiFi shop offered me 3 different brands of cables to try..ranging in price from $10 (QED) to $90 (Naim) per metre to replace the $2 per metre DIY shop cable I was using.

The difference was staggering !! the Naim cable was terrible as my system didn't have the grunt to drive it properly, the QED Classic was perfect and so I bought the cable and banana plugs, and made them myself. The QED was so much better than the cheap cable I was using and I had never appreciated the difference that cables and interconnects could make until I was able to test a few myself.

If it is a home theatre setup then I would suggest you make the cables for the front & center speakers the same length.

If you can then it is worth while seeing if you can borrow some cables and try them out, throwing more money at it will not necessarily make it sound better...

PS: cable prices I have quoted are in New Zealand Dollars ;-)
  • MSkeezer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys. I went to Home Depot tonight to get some supplies for work, and ended up buying 25 feet of 14ga/2 conductor wire for 40 cents/foot. (Lowes actually had the same kind of wire on clearance for 17 cents/foot but it was no longer in stock). It's this stuff here:

Carol

It's pretty nice looking and thick :) It actually looks like that Monster Z1 wire that they sell for over $2 a foot. And I'm sure it doesn't sound any different. Probably better.

I haven't decided yet, but I may end up getting some black Techflex sleeving...

Techflex

If I go that route, I'll be getting some 3.1 ratio heat shrink tubing, and some speaker cable pants:

pants

After that, I'll get some spades for the speaker ends and bananas for the receiver end. And that'll be it. I think the wire I bought will be pretty good for this project. The total cost should run me about $40, which I don't think is too bad at all. It sure beats spending $120 on the Monster wire. :D
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2006
    Options
    did you get your spades yet?..............where?.........pls.let me know.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • MSkeezer
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I haven't gotten them yet. I'm getting them from Parts Express, though. Here's the link:

Spades
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2006
    Options
    MSkeezer wrote:
    I haven't gotten them yet. I'm getting them from Parts Express, though. Here's the link:

Spades

http://cablewholesale.com/catalog/audiovideoadaptors.htm
    and CHECK THIS OUT

USE CAT5 cables as speaker cables...........heard good thing about it!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286040
    http://www.moochly.f2s.com/Stereo/Cat5.htm
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10209&highlight=cat5
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon