New RTi line

TrappedUnder Ice
TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Well..our local cc finaly got in some new polks.. the RTi70 and the RTi100...needless to say....I was dissapointed. While they sounded ok... (I'm not a big fan of silks)..... The fit and finsih on them was not as good as the RT's before. They have added more angles and too many seems where showing..and did not like the finish (black) as much... I think the older style looked sexier and profesional...these ..for some reason..imo...looked cheezy...

they should have some bookshelves in ..couple of weeks..will check those out...but i'm definatly hanging on to my polks of the past...
Post edited by TrappedUnder Ice on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited April 2002
    I, on the other hand, think that the new finish looks great. Having real wood on the fronts and backs really adds to it... not to mention that hot new logo! :eek:

The setup, by CC standards, sounded pretty good. I listened to both the i70 and i100 and found them to be overall nice speakers.

joe :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    The ones that I have seen, I thought looked pretty swell to be honest.......Asthetically, the new tweeter leaves some to be desired but can't comment on the sound. I do like silk though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited April 2002
    Agree with ya trappedunder ice,

In terms of appearance, it is disappointing. The wood finish looks
    cheaper. The base of the speaker and the speaker grill has a more plastic feel and look. The silk dome tweeter is very delicate (almost like paper) ! The owners manual is paper thin as well.

On the plus side, the speakers do seem to sound better then last years line-up. A bit more spacious sound and a little more bottom end. Bass was one concern with last years line-up that Polk has seem to address.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2002
    Yeah, at first I thought the same: that they looked and felt cheaper. But I must say, the cherry looks way better than the black. I also listened to RTi70s head to head with the RT800is for a long time, I think the RTi70s sound way better. They're more transparent, with the treble coming out stronger but still with a strong midrange. I think the 800's sounded a little too thick, and the 70's fix that.
    Truth be told, I was impressed enough to buy the new setup, and the 70's, CSi40, and RTi38 are in my room- I love them:D

GuitarheadCA
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited May 2002
    I would rather pay for sound then looks. If we all baught speakers on looks, we would have bose, nuance, def tech, ect..
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    If I bought speakers for looks, they would be Meadowlark, Wilson, Jm Lab Utopia, or B&W Nautilus.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    Did you just bid on a pair of SDA's on ebay? Russman?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited May 2002
    RuSsMaN
    now your talking speakers. Way more money then we were talking about. You can't compair polk, Klipsch, or any other mid-fi speaker to B&W Nautilus, ect!! In that price range, you PAY for both looks and drivers. A diffrent story.:(
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Yeah, I've been eyeing a pair, I kick myself for not grabbing the 2b's I got to demo locally.

Amazing speaker, I tell ya....

Cheers,
    Russ

I understand the price difference, but if we were just talking looks alone.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.