Sound Deadening

heXtant
heXtant Posts: 56
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Price isnt a factor here. i want to know the best sound deadening material. also which is better, dynamat or fatmat? and, anybody had any experience with rattle trap? if so, how does it compare to dynamat and fatmat? are there any other brands out there that are better? i heard someone talk about a jbl product which claims to reduce the noise by 10 decibils or something. not really sure. just wondering what the best out there is.
any posts with exerience/advice about any sound deadening product are welcome :D
System in construction.. :)
Post edited by heXtant on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    I prefer Dynamat over any of the rest. Its more dense, sticks better and is easier to work with than the few others Ive tried.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    I prefer Dynamat also it is among the best you can buy. Why settle for any less than the best.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    spend the little extra to get the extreme, i find it to be much easier to work with (try putting non-extreme dynamat on in 20 degree weather...)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Hell, Extreme is about all you can find now. Tweeter is where I get all mine at and thats all they have. Im not even sure if they make standard Dynamat anymore.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    regular dynamat can be had online for dirt cheap if you look in the right places -- since tarpaper doesn't have any mechanical or electrical parts to break, it's not like you need a warranty - so to hell with authroized dealers... get it from a greasy **** who hasn't showered in a month, who cares.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I havent seen it anywhere. Crutchfield used to carry it but now all they have is Extreme.

Doesnt matter tho, I do mine in such small sections it doesnt cost me much.

Whenever Ive got $20 burning a hole in my pocket and some time to kill Ill run down and buy some and apply it to some trouble spots.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    ill stick with second skin, just as good--helluva lot cheaper
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2005
    As my car gets older it seems to be asking for more Dynamat.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited December 2005
    I have not had the chance to try extreme.

Reading off the specs though, it is almost three times as effective, is thinner, and weighs less. remember that when comparing cost to regular... it's not just a little difference.

Interestingly, at summer temperatures, dynamat looses it's effectiveness. At the temperatures the body reaches, dynamat extreme will have the effectiveness of cold original. and hot original is semi-worthless.

I want to find whet my car's manufacturer used... they installed squares of deadener that are similar to dynamat, but are consistent to a 2mm thick peice of plastic.

Maybe cody can compare his second skin for us. Dynamat lists specs, I didnt see any on seconskin.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.