Need a good CD/DVD scratch remover...

MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I've got a few DVD's that are pretty scratched up. Do any of these so called scratch removers work? Are there any drawbacks to using them? Any picture/sound loss? Thanks.
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited December 2005
    here is one I found I was thinking of getting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A9SJ2/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/103-6771245-7895848?n=172282

There is some on ebay from simotech but cannot find any reviews.
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • MSkeezer
    edited December 2005
    Thanks man. I'll definitely be picking this up.
  • waymond
    waymond Posts: 5
    edited December 2005
    Use a decent synthetic car wax scratch remover. Mequires Scratch remover for example. Follow the directions on the bottle.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2005
    I have managed to get non playing cd's to play with mothers aluminium pollish.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • MSkeezer
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2005
    waymond wrote:
    Use a decent synthetic car wax scratch remover. Mequires Scratch remover for example. Follow the directions on the bottle.

I agree. I have had really good luck with Meguiar's Scratch X. You should be able to get it at any Target, Wal-Mart, or auto parts store for about $8. It's the only thing I have used that doesn't leave really fine swirl marks in the disc. Plus one tube will clean a ton of discs.

Oh yea....works good on cars too. ;)
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Some interesting ideas in this thread I never would have thought of...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MSkeezer
    edited December 2005
    Hmmm. The Scratch X stuff looks interesting. And it's pretty cheap. I think I'll try that out before I invest $30 in a dedicated scratch remover.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2005
    Great ideas guys. Thanks.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • pillotopp
    pillotopp Posts: 2
    edited December 2006
    This may seem obvious to most of you, but I am clueless..SORRY! I have Meguires in my garage. How do I apply it to fix the scratches? In a circular pattern around the disk, or in straight lines out from the center of the disk, or does it not matter?:confused:

I just bought my son the movie CARS and its so watched that the dvd is already scratched and he gets upset that it constantly resets back to the begining halfway thru the movie. :mad: I'd give anything to get this fixed asap! Thanks so much for the help, you guys rock for giving me this idea!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2006
    pillotopp wrote:
    This may seem obvious to most of you, but I am clueless..SORRY! I have Meguires in my garage. How do I apply it to fix the scratches? In a circular pattern around the disk, or in straight lines out from the center of the disk, or does it not matter?:confused:

I just bought my son the movie CARS and its so watched that the dvd is already scratched and he gets upset that it constantly resets back to the begining halfway thru the movie. :mad: I'd give anything to get this fixed asap! Thanks so much for the help, you guys rock for giving me this idea!
    Would you give, say, $15 for a new copy of CARs?

I'm an ****, I know...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    I buy lots of used CDs. Many are labeled as "scratched" or "very scratched" and sell for anywhere between $.18 and $1.95. Some of them look like they were cleaned with a piece of sandpaper. I have yet to have one not play or even skip because of the scratches and I have never done anything to "repair" them. We also rent a lot of DVDs that are poorly maintained. If they don't play it is not due to scratches but smudges or worse on the disc. Most good CDPs or DVD players have excellent error correction capabilities and there is enough error correction code (ECC) added to the discs for scratches to have no effect on playback. A problem may occur if the data is more compressed or if the scratch happens to cover an entire ECC block.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • waymond
    waymond Posts: 5
    edited December 2006
    You apply and wipe the scratch remover against the grain (straight lines from the center). Scratches running in the direction of the track are most likely to cause uncorrectable errors. By trying to remove "fill" scratches in this direction you might be doing more harm then good.
    Never clean a DVD or CD in a circular motion.
  • pillotopp
    pillotopp Posts: 2
    edited December 2006
    Thanks so much for the instruction on how to apply the product!

I PRE ORDERED the stupid cars movie on line figuring I'd get it earlier than the general public...I still didn't get it until it was available in stores so I preordered and paid shipping for nothing...(as we say in New England) wicked REE-TAH-DID??!!! :confused: But it came in a fancy package different than the store has. BIG DEAl.

So in answer to your question NO I do not want to spend 15 bucks for ANOTHER one when I haven't even had this one for 2 months yet! Not unless the dvd is ruined for good by the scratch I have.

I have also plenty of scratches on other dvd's and they still play...The Cars movie has a few light scratches but it has one that looks deep and every time the dvd gets to a certain point in the movie it just resets and starts all over again. I cant even fast forward past that part a few frames, the dvd player will not budge! That happens in 2 different places on the disk caused I assume by the same scratch.

I will go get my scratch remover and see if I can fix the thing. If I can't then I can rent a copy for 1 dollar at Blockbuster and my brother can burn it for me on his computer:o ..Illegal I know but I refuse to keep buying the same movie over and over because my 3 year old can't keep his hands off of them!
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited December 2006
    If I am not mistaken. A player will read the disc from the inside outward. This might help in locating the scratch causing the prob.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Try this link Mapleshade has a great reputation for these products although I haven't tried the CD treatments yet I have ordered them and received them.

Joe
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2006
    Brasso on a q-tip. rub in lines from the center straight out to the edge (perpendicular to the way you use a vinyl brush).
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i