Sub Tweaks Anyone?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Post your favorite sub tweaks here.

I'll start with the more obvious ones -- power cable and cement slab. Both made minor differences for me.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2005
    Taking it out of the corner. It cleaned things right up but it's given that you'll loose spl. Not a huge deal for me with the atlas 15 in an 8x13' room ;)
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited December 2005
    I don't have one, but I'm getting one for Christmas. A Behringer Feedback Destroyer for EQ is probably the best tweek you can make.

http://bfdguide.ws

An example of what it can do to your FR:

bfdsubgraphsonnieparker.jpg
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Early B.
    edited December 2005
    tryrrthg wrote:
    I don't have one, but I'm getting one for Christmas. A Behringer Feedback Destroyer for EQ is probably the best tweek you can make.

Yeah, I'd love to try it. Seems quite complicated, though. I wonder if anyone has used this who is not an audio-nut, techno-geek or gadget freak.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited December 2005
    Early B. wrote:
    Yeah, I'd love to try it. Seems quite complicated, though. I wonder if anyone has used this who is not an audio-nut, techno-geek or gadget freak.
    This software is "supposed" to simplify the whole process. You plug in (or use the software) to measure the response and it will automatically tell you what filters to put into the BFD, or somehow you can connect the BFD to your computer and it will put the settings in automatically. I need to sit down and figure it all out too, but I won't get to it for quite some time.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Early B.
    edited December 2005
    Free software. Cool.

It says a "Midi Interface" is required. What is that?

• michael_w
    edited December 2005
    Thank you very much for the link tryrrthg. I just installed it on my laptop and whipped out the spl meter. Because of this program I happened to notice a HUGE dip between 51Hz and 60Hz (I mean like 15dB :( ). I've managed to fix it a little but it still needs some work. Aparently my thoughts that my sub at 0° phase was okay but really it was cancelling out the frequencies where my LSi's roll off and my sub kicks in.

Thanks!!
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2005
    I would say the behringer easily was the biggest difference, night and day.

Cement would be my next one, cement blocks, then gramma, then the sub, then cement slab, then granite blocks. No vibrating the floor, or the sub's cabinet.

Jared
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    15db dip may be a natural occurring "room null" based on room dimensions. A true room null can't be bumped up much. Try lowering the levels around it to lessen its effect and smooth out the humps and bumps. You will also eat up alot of your amps headroom trying to bump up a null. I've seen 1500 watts taken up in a snap trying to get room nulls flat.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • michael_w
    edited December 2005
    I'll start a new thread about this (my problem) later tonight... don't want to hijack here.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    No derail, I agree a BFD is a BFD for sub frequency response.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • michael_w
    edited December 2005
    Well just to keep this thread from being taken over by my questions I made a new thread here -link-
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2005
    I just set up my Velodyne SMS-1 tonight and it is awesome. Truly a great product and now my room response is flat. I am thrilled! :D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.