WTB Polk Monitor 7A or B

Options
mlhm5
mlhm5 Posts: 217
edited January 2006 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking for a pair with the peerless tweeter in near mint/mint condition.

Anyone selling?

email me
Post edited by mlhm5 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for popping in.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sure, I've got a minty pair of 7As, but it'll take $500 w/ local pickup to get them out of my rig.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Sure, I've got a minty pair of 7As, but it'll take $500 w/ local pickup to get them out of my rig.

Sorry, I am not Santa.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Will you take 475.00 on paypal CC?

RT1
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    mlhm5 wrote:
    Looking for a pair with the peerless tweeter in near mint/mint condition.

Anyone selling?

email me

ebay, audiogon,or craigslist might be your best bet for a pair of Monitor 7's. with the peerless tweeeters... not many people part with theirs once they hear em. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    ebay, audiogon,or craigslist might be your best bet for a pair of Monitor 7's. with the peerless tweeeters... not many people part with theirs once they hear em. :D

Not leaving any stone unturned.
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2005
    Options
    MLHM,

It is unusual for a new polkie to bag a set of vintage polks off the FM. Your dough is as good as anyone's here but these deals are usually made in back rooms full of cigar smoke, shots of Jim and Jack are downed, weapons may be involved. The 7 series are highly thought of round here.
    You never know but............

Now if you want feel free to get involved, post up some, get know folks, its a club.

RT1
  • danger boy
    edited December 2005
    Options
    be patient young Obie..... and be a friend to Ebay. :)
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    MLHM,

It is unusual for a new polkie to bag a set of vintage polks off the FM. Your dough is as good as anyone's here but these deals are usually made in back rooms full of cigar smoke, shots of Jim and Jack are downed, weapons may be involved. The 7 series are highly thought of round here.
    You never know but............

Now if you want feel free to get involved, post up some, get know folks, its a club.

RT1

OK, here is a question. Is it worth it to buy the Monitor 7C and change out the tweeters? Figure a set of 7Cs is $150 + shipping and the tweets are $120 for the pair = $300
    For my money, I don't think it's worth it. I'll find a pair of 7's with the peerless tweeter for around a $100+ IMO, after all they are good but not great speakers.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have Monitor 7 Series 2 with the SL2500 tweeter. They are very nice sounding, however if I was going to invest $300 or more I would look at other options. When I A/B my Epos ELS-3 monitors ($249 to $299) against the Monitor 7's, it's pretty eye opening. To each their own, and if they are worth that to you go for it!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • danger boy
    edited December 2005
    Options
    mlhm5 wrote:
    OK, here is a question. Is it worth it to buy the Monitor 7C and change out the tweeters? Figure a set of 7Cs is $150 + shipping and the tweets are $120 for the pair.

I figure I would have over $300 in the 7's if I did that.

Waiting is not a problem, however did not want to leave a stone unturned.

if you're looking to just drop in a pair of peerless tweeters.. i highly doubt it'll work.. but if you are trying to replace the SL2500 ones.. you can get the silk replacement ones for those.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Personally, I think the Monitor 7's are over-rated.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I thought the early model 7's had the peerless? I would look there, 300, well, its all up to the individual, but way to rich for my blood.

RT1
  • danger boy
    edited December 2005
    Options
    i think the original 7's, the 7A's and the 7B's all at some point used the peerless. I have never seen the peerless tweeter used in the 7C's. but anything is possible.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I was indifferent in my opinion about my 7As when I first got them. They were very nice sounding and all, but not the giant killers they are now. Now I have them in an all tube rig, with only 20 push-pull wpc, and they sound incredible. Ask HTRookie....he was in awe of them, literally. For some reason, they just bloomed with the tubes.
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    if you're looking to just drop in a pair of peerless tweeters.. i highly doubt it'll work.. but if you are trying to replace the SL2500 ones.. you can get the silk replacement ones for those.

7's did not come with SL2500's
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    rskarvan wrote:
    Personally, I think the Monitor 7's are over-rated.

Which 2 Polk speakers for $150 sound better?
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    mlhm5 wrote:
    7's did not come with SL2500's

Yes they did...look here http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/monitor7/
  • danger boy
    edited December 2005
    Options
    sorry i meant the SL2000 not the SL2500.. but as ND13 said.. they did come with the SL2500
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2005
    Options
    mlhm, p.m. sent.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • mlhm5
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    I have Monitor 7 Series 2 with the SL2500 tweeter. They are very nice sounding, however if I was going to invest $300 or more I would look at other options. When I A/B my Epos ELS-3 monitors ($249 to $299) against the Monitor 7's, it's pretty eye opening. To each their own, and if they are worth that to you go for it!

Not looking to invest $300 just pointing out that without the peerless tweeter the 7's are worthless to me because it would take $300 to get to $150 which is an appropriate price to pay for a mint pair of 7's with the peerless.

If I don't get them, I'll probably buy a pair of Infinity Primus 160's for $150 which are a very good speaker and end up in the same reviews as the ELS-3, RTi4 yet, at a smaller cost or maybe buy the 10's with the peerless if I can talk Wifey into something that large.

Wifey would be happier with smaller speakers especially if they were invisible.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Where are you located?? I do have a nice pair of 10As, too. They have Peerless tweeters and the factory stands, but no grills(they look better nude anyways).
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2005
    Options
    My rebuilt Monitor 7's with SL2500 tweeter. The cabinets were trashed on these, however the fronts/backs and drivers were in very good shape. The finish is a spray on faux stone, sealed with poly. It looks better in person.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think my RTi25's sound better than the Monitor 7's.

The 7's just didn't do anything for me at all. I love the Monitor 10's.
    Lots of volume. Lots of deep bass. But, the 7's were just not the same.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I like both of them, yes, the 10's dig deeper. PF06 at Doro's Mr. Polk flat out said the 10 was his favorite all round monitor, but agreed that the 7 was tighter and bit sweeter sounding, hey, they are both great speakers for very little dough in todays world. I am a big fat guy so why wouldn't I like a big fat speaker like the 10's??

RT1
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2005
    Options
    rskarvan wrote:
    The 7's just didn't do anything for me at all. I love the Monitor 10's.
    Lots of volume. Lots of deep bass. But, the 7's were just not the same.
    That was my experience as well.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030